Author Topic: Are we just lucky?  (Read 2552 times)

Offline maddy74

Are we just lucky?
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »
Are we just lucky?

Willow apart from when she was small pup has never really chewed up. We have been able to leave her uncrated in the lounge from 7 months and she has been as good as gold.

She plays with her toys all the time but never tries to pull them apart or destroy them, however my mums dog (aged  eight years) came over at Xmas and she was playing with Willows toys and was clearly destructive with them and after pulling one of her new reindeers half apart and pulling the fluff of another that Willow had had since a pup I had to take them off her and was quite annoyed....

Are we just lucky with Willow, do most dog chew their toys? Should I have felt cross towards my mums dog?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Are we just lucky?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:44:05 PM »
Some dogs are chewers and some are not so, yes, you are very lucky  ;)  What else do you put it down to? :shades:  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline maddy74

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:48:31 PM »
Some dogs are chewers and some are not so, yes, you are very lucky  ;)  What else do you put it down to? :shades:  :005:

Our good training perhaps....  :005: :005: nah, more luck than judgment....  :005: :005: Willow will chew her stag bars and nylabones but knows not to deface her toys  ;) ;)

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »
Freya is the same, I think it just differs from dog to dog. I wondered if the breed had something to do with it, I know terriers are destructive. But i'm sure many cockers are too

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:54:29 PM »
Its 50/50 chance really Maddy  :shades: :005:
Out of our 4, we have 2 that have never chewed/destroyed anything & 2 that have.  :shades:
Georgia (you remember the black demon  >:D) still chews even though she was 2 yrs old last august  >:(  One of their new beds is looking distinctly holier each day!  >:D :005:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline maddy74

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:57:46 PM »
Its 50/50 chance really Maddy  :shades: :005:
Out of our 4, we have 2 that have never chewed/destroyed anything & 2 that have.  :shades:
Georgia (you remember the black demon  >:D) still chews even though she was 2 yrs old last august  >:(  One of their new beds is looking distinctly holier each day!  >:D :005:

I do remember Georgia but I wouldnt say she was a demon, she looked like butter wouldnt melt  ;)

I guess we are just lucky then, and I must remember if my mums dog comes over again, i shouldnt get annoyed... :005: (but I WILL remember to remove Willows toys)  ;) ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »
Jarvis doesn't chew - never has.  He has made minor alterations on some toys like a tail dock or a wing clip or a tag removal  but I have never had to throw a toy out.  We've had other dogs stay who have destroyed his toys but that is just life with dogs.

I wouldn't put that down to any kind of training - he's just not a chewer.

So yes, you're lucky and no I don't think you should have been cross with your mum's dog at all  - it comes with the dog owning territory and it's just the luck of the draw  :shades:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 09:05:09 PM »
Millie is really destructive with toys but Charlie isn't. Although I did catch Charlie destroying Millie's favourite ball once but I just put it down to him getting his own back  :005:

Millie

Offline maddy74

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »
Thanks for your reply Helen, I wasnt outwardly cross with my mums dogs just inwardly....  :005: :005: I just grimaced and removed Willows toys, Im like you though never had to throw a toy away thus resulting in doggy toy overload in our lounge  :005:

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:06:31 PM »
I class myself as lucky, Charlie isn't vocal, he doesn't chew, he never has...he did 'ruin' a puppy toy when he got his adult teeth but thats it. He doesn't ruin his toys, he hasn't ruined any thing of ours; he's never been crated and always been ok when we've left him. He is polite, he isn't greedy, he's calm...if anything I wish he was a bit more greedy. He isn't food orientated at all.

NONE of that is my doing, its just how he is.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline maddy74

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »
Thanks for your replies Sarah and dipsydoodle , just good to see what other dogs are like really with toys etc.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 09:08:27 PM »
Jinley doesnt chew her toys either, except if there is a small silk tag on it which she likes to have in her mouth.  She carries her Winnie the Pooh by his red vest almost like a scruff of his neck which looks so cute.  The toys she has now are toys she has had since we first had her and there are only a couple that have been de-stuffed.

But give her a plastic lid from a takeaway container or something similar and she loves to rip it apart, then just walks away when it is in bits!! >:D >:D

Pat

Offline maddy74

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 09:09:04 PM »
I class myself as lucky, Charlie isn't vocal, he doesn't chew, he never has...he did 'ruin' a puppy toy when he got his adult teeth but thats it. He doesn't ruin his toys, he hasn't ruined any thing of ours; he's never been crated and always been ok when we've left him. He is polite, he isn't greedy, he's calm...if anything I wish he was a bit more greedy. He isn't food orientated at all.

I have to say although she isnt a chewer, she isnt calm, she is very vocal atm (and becoming an issue) and very greedy.... You cant win um all  :005: :005:

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »
Thanks for your replies Sarah and dipsydoodle , just good to see what other dogs are like really with toys etc.

To an extent I think some is training, but most is down to how they are.

If you have a chewer, you have a chewer. But things like greeding - you can train (the night I brought Charlie home, we had our tea, and Charlie just went to his bed and slept) - that has nothing to do with me; although I'd like to take credit for it  :005:.

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 09:12:27 PM »

I have to say although she isnt a chewer, she isnt calm, she is very vocal atm (and becoming an issue) and very greedy.... You cant win um all  :005: :005:

I think a greedy dog is perfectly natural, Charlie is just 'special'. The only thing he's greedy with is sausage (he gets them at ringcraft/when on the grooming table).