Author Topic: Highly strung or insecure constant whining cocker help needed  (Read 4067 times)

Offline BuryFCA1

Highly strung or insecure constant whining cocker help needed
« on: December 23, 2015, 12:17:24 PM »
We have had our 1 year old gorgeous golden boy for 6 months now and his constant crying and whining is driving us up the wall. He has improved massively yet no matter how much we either ignore him, tell him no or treat him when he doesn't do it his whining/crying is still not stopping completely. He does it mainly when he can see us but can't get to us such as when we are upstairs or in another room. He chews so we don't let him have free reign of the house. He also does it when we are preparing food and he is not getting the attention. The in laws have just looked after him for 4 days whilst we went away and the hated it all because of his never ending crying and whining. Is he highly strung or is he insecure? Also, some more advice would be much needed. Advice on whether this is normal, if they grow out of it, why he does it and the best ways to deal with it. Thanks

Offline sodpot2000

Re: Highly strung or insecure constant whining cocker help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 01:07:28 PM »
Not a problem I have had to deal with personally but I know that it has been discussed on here quite a few times. I'm sure someone will be along with some help and ideas based on their own experiences.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »
WORK is the answer.

Consider Agility, Scent-tracking, obedience, anything really, these dogs hate being bored.

Must be kept busy, ideally at least two hours per day.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 09:41:24 AM »
 I have 3 cockers and the youngest one who is 4 has always been very whiney, he also thinks he can talk too. if he is locked in the kitchen behind the child gate he will whine and cry. I am afraid they like to be with people as much as possible I know some people wont agree but I just let mine follow me around the house including upstairs, cockers are very people orientated
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 11:47:36 AM »
I would agree that the easiest way is to just let him be with you.  It's making him stressed that he can't be.  He also really does need mental as well as physical exercise.  Alan's suggestions are great.  Our cocker spaniel has done obedience and agility.  We gave up agility when we moved to France but she gets varied walks mainly off-lead to keep her busy - in the forests, at the park and a local lake.  I scooter with my bigger dogs and she runs off-lead alongside which really tires her out.  You would need more than one cocker to scooter but you could do canicross (running) with him or bikejoring.

At home we scatter kibble around the garden for the dogs to hunt out, which gets them using their noses and is good for calming them down.  Kongs also keep them occupied or a good meaty bone (always uncooked).

Offline AlanT

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
These are quite noisy dogs. Not so much barking as a whole variety of other vocalisations.

I've had Terriers before and the Cocker is much more sensitive, opinionated, demanding, actually quite a handful.

But it's so easy to train and easy to work. This is a lot of fun if you have the time.

There's a couple of videos on here that show mine working.

Offline biotechpete

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 11:42:35 PM »
Chilli is 5 now and we haven't yet managed to stop him whinging completely. He's just very head strong and likes to get what he wants, when he wants. He goes back to the breeder every now and then and they have commented on how talkative he is. I think it's because we have always talked to him and trained him verbally from a young age (and our neighbours reinforcing the noisy behaviour with biscuits). He gets a lot of exercise and stimulation and goes to day care too and that doesn't help a great deal if I'm honest.

We had a session with a behaviourist who recommended 'disciplining' him for the behaviour by sending him to a safe place for a time out. He's only allowed to leave the place when he is calm and quiet. He did warn us though that he will seem more depressed and we would effectively be crushing his character to an extent. It has helped us with the worst of the behaviour and he has learned quite well. For instance, he cries for his food and he used to sit there and cry for over an hour but now he tries it on a bit then goes and lies in his bed and waits quietly (without us sending him there). He'll always be a whinger though. He grumbles and moans at things like having his paws dried, being told to move off the sofa, not getting attention at the end of Eastenders  (he knows the duff, duffs). But that's part of why we love him so much.