Author Topic: Starting running with two dogs  (Read 4411 times)

Offline rachelhodgkins

Starting running with two dogs
« on: April 02, 2016, 11:09:54 PM »
With starting a new career (part time)  I want to make the most out of the time I have avalible to walk my 2 dogs on the days I have to work (they still only left maximum of 4 hours as hubby comes back for lunch and I'm home before he goes back)  I to want to get fitter and was thinking of taking up running at my local park or occasional streets. I have found a pooch to 5k programme that builds up running over 12 weeks.  They will have to run on leash even at local park. They still get an of leash run in the evenings even we go to local common as a family. Following the plan we would only be running 3days a week. Dogs ages are 16 months and 23 months. Anyone with good advice or tips would be greatly accepted

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
Re: Starting running with two dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »
I have no advice but just wanted to wish you all the best, I tried a couch to 5k program with my pair but tbh I was too lazy to make the most of it..Dogs had a blast though.

I used their harnesses and extenda leads so that they had a bit more freedom and were not pulled by the neck when I was changing between walking and jogging shuffling
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:17:10 PM »
Good luck to you with that. Quite a few of our local fell runners train with their dogs and they all seem to enjoy it. Of course what you and I would describe as running our furry-footed personal trainers would say was a fast walk. If you decide to do it regularly you might look at getting a proper waist harness and bungee cords for the dogs such as are used in Cani - X. With two of them you will have to take care they don't trip you up! A couple of young fit dogs shouldn't have any problems.

Offline jessika

• Ozzie
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »
Posting here for tips and advice also as I have just started running with Ozzie, I have started working in a fast food chain so I am starting to gain the pounds :005: and I am getting really unfit, we started running yesterday but  I kept Ozzie on the lead because he is one of those dogs that will just stop to sniff everywhere but with his lead on I can encourage him to keep running (we still stop for him to make his mark). The only issue I have is that he thinks its a game and jumps up to grab my hands and arms  :005:

Follow Ozzie at  instagram.com/ozzie_cockerdile