Author Topic: Blade size for pet trim (not scalped)  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Charliechoo

Blade size for pet trim (not scalped)
« on: September 01, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »
Hi
After many tries at different groomers, I've give up!  Charlie either comes back sporting a skin head look and a ridiculously long haired tail or he comes back lookin ok but stressed out >:(. So I've given up and I've purchased a pair of Andis Agc2 ultra clippers, came with a blade ten and seven.  I've little experience of clipping except for the odd nipping out a small tat, I did used to handstrip my other cocker and did quite an ok job.   So yesterday when the clippers came, I thought I'd give them a whirl, knew that number ten was a close shave, so tried the 7 on a bit of his chest and that seemed very close to the skin too?  So any advice on what blade number to use would be great, I like a shortish cut so he's easier to dry and not tat up so easily, Charlie has quite a fluffy thick coat, it's not curly.

Also any recommendations for any vids or DVD would be great, I've no idea how to do his legs and feet, do I need a toe blade? And is it ok to clip inbetween his pads or do I do that with scissors so nervous to use scissors though!

Thanks

Offline lescef

Re: Blade size for pet trim (not scalped)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 04:11:08 PM »
I have found the seven blade still a bit close as I don't want Maddie to look shaved, so I use a  No 5 blade on her body,chest, front and back legs. Then No 10 on her head, inside of her ears and neck area and under belly.
I don't clip in between her pads but just cut the hair level with the pads. Both dogs have had clumps of hair stuck between the back and front pads recently so I've had to cut those out. I think I need to wash that area more thoroughly when I rinse their feet after a walk  ;)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 07:53:05 PM »
I'm advised the 7C is the best blade - generally for cats but copes with cocker fur which is quite fine.  I've used it on Pearl after she rolled in fresh cow pats, then ran through a thicket picking up twigs, thorns and seeds.....none of which washed out  >:D. It was a close cut but not too short

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 02:41:29 PM »
While we're on the subject...... ;) HOW do you get your boys and girls to remain standing please?
I think I worked a bit too hard on the "being relaxed while grooming" bit  >:(  - I've become a dabb hand at combing and brushing while Humphrey's  snoring away, but trimming, especially back legs and rear end, is a nightmare. Does anyone use the head or haunch supports?
I recently bought some trimmers and scissors etc but am not doing very well so far....

Offline lescef

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:54:45 PM »
Have you got a grooming table with an arm? Mine has has two slots across the top
I fasten my two with one loop around the neck and I had the fabric strap from a bag (or something) that fastens around their tummy so they can't sit down.  I'm sure you can buy the proper nooses.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 04:20:52 PM »
Have you got a grooming table with an arm? Mine has has two slots across the top
I fasten my two with one loop around the neck and I had the fabric strap from a bag (or something) that fastens around their tummy so they can't sit down.  I'm sure you can buy the proper nooses.

- I just use a normal table at the moment but think I'm going to have to get something I can fix a noose to. Thanks, I'll have look online.