Author Topic: Legally docked question  (Read 12101 times)

Offline ips

Re: Legally docked question
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 03:34:08 PM »
Keep her tail feathers trimmed short to avoid getting stuck when the little madam inevitably chases a bunny wabbit into bramble 😁

Regardless of any comments above it sounds like you have an ideal active lifestyle for a WC 👍
Enjoy the ride 😊

As someone who regularly has to disentangle both ears at once of a show cocker who's gone head first into the brambles, I'd say carry nail scissors.

Two years ago a friend of a friend lost his WC it was feared stolen from his farm. Six days later it was found by a farm worker entangled in bramble by its ears. Luckily it survived (goodness knows how) but nearly lost both ears.

Edit
Just checked my info on this.
It was six days not ten. And the injury was worse than I remembered 😞
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 05:05:08 PM »
Keep her tail feathers trimmed short to avoid getting stuck when the little madam inevitably chases a bunny wabbit into bramble 😁

Regardless of any comments above it sounds like you have an ideal active lifestyle for a WC 👍
Enjoy the ride 😊

As someone who regularly has to disentangle both ears at once of a show cocker who's gone head first into the brambles, I'd say carry nail scissors.

Two years ago a friend of a friend lost his WC it was feared stolen from his farm. Six days later it was found by a farm worker entangled in bramble by its ears. Luckily it survived (goodness knows how) but nearly lost both ears.

Edit
Just checked my info on this.
It was six days not ten. And the injury was worse than I remembered 😞

Good heavens, poor thing!!

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 10:17:32 AM »
Could one also argue another split. Those bred for FT and those from more "propper" working line ??

I will get my coat 😁
I think so.  Although the 'not quite fast enough' trialling bred dogs very often make excellent working dogs.

These dogs can not only make great workers they are often better than the hot trialling lines for the general handler, the sort of dog that slips into from pet to worker with no problem.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »
My personal belief is that owners of working cocker biitches who don't actually work their dogs, shouldn't breed from them.  So many pet working cockers are now being bred who have never 'worked' a single day in their lives.  I really feel that the wonderful biddability of the breed that I love is being diluted by this practice.  I have seen many a working cocker bred from pet parents who is out of control and ends up in rescue. They have all the instincts of the breed but none of the biddability.
Soon there will be a division just like what happened with the show and working strain.  There will be yet another type that are the non working workers who will be ones with the undocked tails.
It is just my opinion and I am sure lots of people will disagree with it.

I have mixed feelings on this, I now see more workers than show dogs on my walks around here and most are not worked.  I also see those same dogs enjoying life with loving owners how love the character of these little nutters.

I think they will end up like the JRT and the ESS lots in pet homes and those who need a proper worker will buy from working stock
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly