Author Topic: Oxtails - update  (Read 1994 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Oxtails - update
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:05:20 PM »
Just wondered if any of you give your dogs oxtails and/or if you've ever experienced problems?

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Re: Oxtails
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:51:35 PM »
Reese has had raw oxtails sometimes and will also add them to cook in bone broth for flavour,  but not had any problems. Reese does eat bones very sensibly and always supervised, I am aware they are normally a bone for a smaller dog, i make sure he gets the thickest part with the smaller bits going in the broth. Have you had problems?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Oxtails
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 07:01:21 AM »
Hi, yes, - I was unsure when I wrote the post yesterday, Humphrey was eating one in the garden when suddenly he cried out and came into the house wimpering. He was clearly agitated and seemed to be struggeling with breathing, his eyes glazed over and I thought he was going to pass out. I wasn't sure if its was bone or if he'd been stung again. ,We dropped everything and went tearing to the vet but by the time we arrived he was wagging his tail and seemed completely recovered. Vet said he has so many problems with dogs and bones and reckoned oxtails weren't good as they can be hard and get stuck.
Anyway, -  I've just  got up this morning to the sound of him wretching and he's just brought up a sharp peice of bone about 2 inches long!!
I understood that cow's tails were ok  and Humphrey's had them before, he also gets a chicken wing every morning but this has given me a bit of a scare.......

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Re: Oxtails - update
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:49:28 AM »
Oh poor boy! I didn't know that, think I will be just putting them in the broth in future. Hope he is feeling better soon. X

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 10:47:51 PM »
Aww hope little Humphrey is ok now? I'm sure he got lots of cuddles.

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 10:58:51 PM »
Hope he is ok now
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 07:13:26 PM »
Thanks everyone, Humphrey's none the worse thank goodness and I've learned a lesson! No more bones for us except the daily chicken wing, duly smashed up!