Author Topic: Winter warmers????  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Leo0106

Winter warmers????
« on: October 29, 2017, 05:00:52 PM »
Hi, may sound really silly but does anyone buy their dogs winter costs or jackets for cold weather?
I'm probably being really overprotective but have started wrapping myself up warmly for walks as the temp is dropping and feel guilty when Leo dosnt have one.. he dosnt look cold but just wanted to know what everyone else does !

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Winter warmers????
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 05:11:59 PM »
Dylan has a waterproof jacket for wet weather, but not for cold weather, he has a lovely fur coat already  :lol2:, and is always running around off lead on his walks, so I personally don't think he needs one for the cold, and we are up in NE Scotland. But I don't like him to get wet as sitting around in wet fur can't be good, and he takes  soooooo long to dry. I did get an equafleece, but it just seems to keep,the wet in  :huh:

But it's a personal choice, this is just my opinion  :shades:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 05:40:24 PM »
Daisy has a 'raincoat' for wet days, it is not lined, it just limits the mess when we get home  :005: Amazing how much mud and water a cocker can trail in  :lol2:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 06:00:30 PM »
Thanks both, yes I think I am more concerned about the wet than the cold. He's a working cocker so has relatively easy dry coat but still seems to struggle to settle after a walk if he is wet so may get him a raincoat just to keep him dry!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
I let Henry run around ‘au natural’ when we’re out, then pop his Equafleece on when we get home if he’s particularly wet. Ditto after his bath in the winter as he will shiver violently if I don't, even after a thorough towelling off. He’s fine as long as he’s moving, even in very cold weather, but he does have really heavy double-layered fur.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 07:33:09 PM »
I let Henry run around ‘au natural’ when we’re out, then pop his Equafleece on when we get home if he’s particularly wet. Ditto after his bath in the winter as he will shiver violently if I don't, even after a thorough towelling off. He’s fine as long as he’s moving, even in very cold weather, but he does have really heavy double-layered fur.

I pop equifleece on between drives if its a particularly cold wet windy day.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 08:02:54 PM »
https://www.freckles-designs.com/collections/dog-coats
Also have one of these, great for after a bath, and ideal for caravan trips. Keeps her nice and toasty after a wet walk and helps to dry as well.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 08:21:35 PM »
Thanks all. I will look into the equifleece. I was looking at a drying coat the other day too... Think I will defiantly get one for drives back from walks as sometimes he goes mad on the back seat if he's wet or cold.. As if he's really unsettled. Never see any shivering but assume it means he's uncomfortable

Offline poptart

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 09:11:30 AM »
If you're handy with a sewing machine, or know someone who is, you can make your own doggy raincoat by cutting up one of your old ones. The pattern is fairly simple (there are loads posted online) and all you need is something like velcro or poppers for closures.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »
My two have Equifleece polo neck jumpers, but they don't wear them when we're out on walks because even the 13 year old is still active enough that he keeps himself warm when we're walking.

They wear them:
As drying coats after rainy walks, with a towel dry first to get the worst of the water off them.
In the car on the way home from walks in cold weather and if the car journey is more than a few minutes. The back of a car is never as warm as the front and just because I'm thawing out nicely with the help of the heating it doesn't mean it's reaching the dogs!
If we stop for coffee or a pub lunch after or during a walk on a cold day. I don't like the idea of them having been warm and active and then getting cold when we stop for a break.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 12:41:57 PM »
Thanks all. I will look into the equifleece. I was looking at a drying coat the other day too... Think I will defiantly get one for drives back from walks as sometimes he goes mad on the back seat if he's wet or cold.. As if he's really unsettled. Never see any shivering but assume it means he's uncomfortable

A lady makes very nice ones and gives a donation to spaniel aid. look up Drying coats for spaniels on facebook. Bear in mind though she has closed her order book until after christmas as her coats are ultra popular causing a back log of orders

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline David Morgan

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »
We got really nice coats from a little shop in the Brighton Lanes last year. They are made of fleece lined parachute material, so it is strong and water-resistant and the fleece keeps them warm. I wouldn't use them on a long walk, in just cold weather, though as the dogs would overheat. Good for short walks, when they don't have time to heat up, when it is wet. Also have reflective piping for dark Autumn/Winter nights. We used to also use unlined hi-vis raincoats for the dogs as black dogs need all the help they can get on dark nights. These are now so shabby that we stopped using them.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »
Bea has her Equafleece on after a cold walk or when sopping wet, I've also put in on her if it's heavy snow as it stops the dreaded Clumps from forming.

A healthy dog that's running about shouldn't need a coat but it depends on your dog.

Sharon.

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 07:07:22 PM »
Try the Ruff and Tumble coats (I call them dressing gowns) for popping on a wet spaniel. Excellent if they've been in the water and there's a car journey to get home.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
Thankyou all for your fantastic suggestions and advice.
I've looked around and plan on buying one this weekend... havnt decided which yet but have defiantly decided he would benefit from one after walks. He LOVES swimming... I'm not sure if I'm stupid for letting him when it gets colder but atleast if I buy a coat he will get nice and toasty in the car :)
Thanks all again