Author Topic: Harry did a runner  (Read 2640 times)

Offline RobinRed

Re: Harry did a runner
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 12:26:45 PM »
Hi everyone just wanted to give you all an update. It’s now two months since Harry scared the life out of me  >:D. Harry’s now 6 months old and becoming an absolute pleasure, yes he’s still a cockerdile and a thief but he gives so much pleasure back 😊.  We followed Top Barks post on recall religiously, got through tubes of primula cheese and pockets full of hot dogs but we are now three walks in to Harry being allowed to run free again. He returns to name when there’s nothing too distracting and we use the whistle and cheese for very interesting things and, so far, he’s come back every time. I know we’ve still got a long way to go and all the adolescent months ahead of us BUT at this moment it’s the best feeling in the world to see him running free through the woodland paths 😊.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 12:46:28 PM »
Absolutely brilliant news, well done!

Now, as you said, the adolescent months are coming. I had a great recall on whistle at six months and I completely poisoned it through my own stupidity. If Harry one day doesn’t come to the whistle the first time because he’s distracted DON’T BLOW IT AGAIN. Wait for him to come back then do some reinforcing whistles close by with few distractions. If he starts wandering further than you would like, nip it in the bud IMMEDIATELY. For dogs, being allowed to do something one time means they can do it any time. Cockers are champion at taking an inch, then another inch, then another, until they are a mile away and wonder what you are jumping up and down about.

If you remember to keep your recall honed over the next few months, and don’t make the mistakes I made (blowing the whistle again and again, teaching him that ignoring it was okay, letting him free hunt, disappearing into the woods etc), then you’ll have a fabulous recall forever. You’ve done all the hard work and laid down fabulous habits. Keep going!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline RobinRed

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »
Londongirl thankyou. I take your advice on board 😊 wish me luck!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 02:46:26 PM »
Absolutely agree with London Girl, practise, practise, practise and praise every immediate return. Try and set up practice so that you can safely walk away and ignore him if he doesn‘t come straight back to you. In the early stages I used a 10 meter long lead for training and, although we don‘t use the lead anymore, 10 meters is still about the furthest he is  usually away from me, if he starts to go further, or looks as if something over interesting has caught his eye, I call him back. It sounds as if you‘re doing great though, so as long as you keep the training up, I‘m sure Harry‘ll be fine!