Author Topic: I need reassurance again......  (Read 4913 times)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Re: I need reassurance again......
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 04:01:29 PM »
So pleased to read such a positive post today !
It's nice to be reminded that puppy days (like everything else in life) do pass.
Delighted to hear that all is getting better now.  You can keep referring back to your post as a reminder of how far you have both come.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 06:38:32 PM »
Thanks Penelope.. . I truly deeply hope that this is the beginning of the end of the puppy stage.. 13 months now and all appears to be calming... He's no angel yet but I havnt had a bruise in 2 weeks  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

My partner will come home from military tour in 2 months and wonder what all the fuss was about....

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2017, 08:50:23 PM »
Didn't want to start a new post about this but wanted to query you all on something I've noticed the last few days.

My question: is saying no to playing with a dog all of a sudden something to worry about or just a sign of maturity?

I only ask because of the following:
On Sunday I met up with my school friends in the new forest for a dog walk. The dogs were as followed: an older lab and older terrier, a mid age cocker (not playful), a 2 year old lab, leo, and a 13 week old sprocker. To say I was nervous was an understatement, my experience of Leo and lots of dogs is overexcirment and not knowing when no means no. However we turned up and Leo and the 2 year old lab had a great time, rough playing, running around, jumping over eachother etc. After about 10 mins of this Leo chose to run up to me a number of times and sit on my lap.. Didn't think anything of it.. then the 13 week sprocker turned up. Leo had a sniff, sprocker pup tapped him on the nose and Leo refused to go near him any more. We went for a walk in the forest and the poor little sprocker followed Leo everywhere but Leo was completely avoidant of him, No agression, just wouldn't tolerate being near him.

Today he had a wonderful play with a 10 month huskey. They were having a great time. However Leo then fixated his eyes on the frisbee I was holding, chased after it but the Huskey had other ideas and kept bundling into him, again, Leo reacted really well and just seemed to tolerate the Huskey but he did seem a bit frustrated that he was messing up valuable frisbee time!

Part of me is proud of him, he's playing and then getting on with his walk rather than being the unrelenting annoyance he used to be to other dogs. However another part of me worried that this was the beginning of him becoming unsocialble?

Any thoughts? I'm not that worried.. just curious as a first time owner

Offline RobinRed

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »
I think that sounds really positive. I’m only at the beginning of this with Harry (5 mths) but will be delighted when he knows when to stop. He doesn’t currently have an off switch and I’ve been reading your posts with great interest as they’re giving me hope that he too will grow out of his manic stage. Harry’s my second cocker and boy is he different to our old girl Missi. Sounds to me like you’re doing really well and hopefully the hard work puppy bit is over for you 😊

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »
Leo‘s just growing up! I noticed exactly the same with Humphrey when we used to go for group walks. As a young puppy he just wanted to play with anything and anyone but think they‘re just like us, as they grow up they become more choosy about who they hang out with! There are dogs they like instantly, others they‘re disinterested in and then those who they take a dislike to from the word go.
I‘d see it as very positive if Leo‘s more interested in you/the frisbee, it makes recall and training far easier if he chooses to follow you rather than bog off with the crowd!!  ;)

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2017, 08:32:18 AM »
Thanks guys, I did take it as a positive to be honest and I'm proud of him for reaching that milestone without me having to do much training on his etiquette etc.
He has had a lot more full on socialization with other dogs the past few weeks, partly due to my confidence in him and partly due to planning lots of catch ups with friends over Xmas etc so I think it may have just taught him that he dosnt have to badger every dog he sees..i had to laugh when he didn't want to play with the sprocker but the sprocker continued to follow him around... taste of his own medicine haha. He has his first doggy sleepover on the 29th with daisy the labrador... that will be fun

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2017, 08:44:37 PM »
Many of the things you are describing remind me of our dog amber when she was young , she had a few names including crocodile as she would be very bitey .
She was grumpy ,unpredictable and we lost faith in her many a time !
We took her to a behaviourist when she was 9 months because we didn't know how to handle her.
We were advised to walk away from her when she growled or showed aggressive behaviours or to put her in another room and firmly say no !
We were told she was probably nervous nature as well as grumpy ?
Anyway she really outgrew many of her "insecurities "& well just grew up ! She is eight years old now
And a lovely dog , still a bit grumpy at times but we just ignore her and she stops I think we learnt the sort of things she didn't like and did like and built a relationship up .
Don't give up on your dog ,we nearly did quite a few times but just kept trying and I'm so glad we did ,
Good luck !

Offline lynnemcneil

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2017, 09:28:31 PM »
Merry Christmas Everybody! [emoji16] these posts give me hope that there is eventually light at the end of the tunnel......the very long tunnel!! Archie was a really good happy pup yesterday our visitors and especially with my wee 2 year old nephew, I was really worried that he might snap at him but he tolerated cuddles and his toys being stolen like a normal dog, not a growl in sight! Deep down I reckon there’s a nice soft nature but he hides it well from us at times!  Grumpy wee beast today though, is suspect after all yesterday’s excitement[emoji15]. All the best for the New Year, onwards and upwards with our cockerdiles in 2018! 🥂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lynnemcneil

I need reassurance again......
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2017, 09:33:21 PM »
Merry Christmas Everybody! [emoji16] these posts give me hope that there is eventually light at the end of the tunnel......the very long tunnel!! Archie was a really good happy pup yesterday our visitors and especially with my wee 2 year old nephew, I was really worried that he might snap at him but he tolerated cuddles and his toys being stolen like a normal dog, not a growl in sight! Deep down I reckon there’s a nice soft nature but he hides it well from us at times!  Grumpy wee beast today though, is suspect after all yesterday’s excitement[emoji15]. All the best for the New Year, onwards and upwards with our cockerdiles in 2018! 🥂

Archie was excited about what Santa left him!

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2017, 09:30:49 AM »
After reading your post this morning I feel that everything will be fine for you,I forgot to mention
That amber was very nervous around my small grandchildren when she was a puppy so in the end we decided to separate them when they came round at the risk of amber being jealous!
But I couldn't risk the children getting hurt or making them frightened of dogs (. I looked after them twice a week) Amber would just bark at them and look very nervous if they approached her so we got a stair gate in the kitchen so she could still hear them but wasn't threatened by them.
It paid off because as they grew older we started to mix them together letting them throw balls and taking them out on walks etc they now are fine together.
Amber still doesn't particularly like being petted by them so they just talk to her and sit with her and she is fine with that , they are all 8years old amber and the children , we now have another grandchild who we have done exactly the same with she is now three and just getting used to amber.
But you sound as though you are leaps ahead of things regarding children and dog situations so I think you will be fine x

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2017, 11:32:43 PM »
Hi both,
Your recent posts have made me feel very reassured also, we're currently on day 4 of 11 away from home visiting various family members. Chrismtas at my mum's  (a familiar place to leo) was pure bliss.. aside from trying to steal food out of people's hands he was pure amazing.. He slept the majority of Xmas day... with 4 uncles, his aunty and his 'grandparents ' around he was absolutely zonked. Today has been a little more testing, we are visiting the in laws in Plymouth, he's never been here before and he also had a 5 hour car journey!! Never the less, aside from some frustrated nipping he actually settled down to sleep in the lounge and is now sleeping soundly.. the only problem I have really found is that he has refused to sleep alone since being away from home. He has insisted on sleeping in the same room as me, my parents living in a terraced house has meant my tolerance in letting him cry it out has been minimal. he has been a star compared to how I thought he would be... anyone got any hints on how to stop him jumping up to snatch food out of people's hands??!  I know it's been a huge temptation because of chrismtas snacks etc but I feel it is my next training adventure!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2018, 12:35:52 PM »
Hey everyone.
My dog is fixed!! Cured of all beastiness, a dream dog, a little Christmas angel .....

Ok he's not perfect yet  but I thought I would let you all know that hard work pays off..  Leo has just dealt with 11 days away from home. He's travelled 700 miles in the car, he's been to 4 places he's never been before and he's lived in a house with other dogs for the first time in his life.. And he's been a joy to be around.

I've thrown so many new experiences at him and he's taken it all in his stride.. ok so he stole a few sausage rolls,  He refused to drink water unless it was out of the Christmas tree base and he wanted to help open everyone's presents but I cannot be more pleased with how well he has done.
We are now 2 months into 4 months of his much loved daddy being away so the next battle will be settling back into having both doggy parents home in a couple of months but I am so ready for the next challenge.

the support and reassurance you guys have provided has got me through one of the toughest times I've ever faced...thankyou all so much

Offline lynnemcneil

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2018, 01:20:59 PM »
Such brilliant news to hear! His twin Archie has also shown there’s some light at the end of the tunnel! Still not quite there yet, the growling still occurs and we’d like to pet him much more than we do (without fear of growling or a snap!) The kids are much less scared of him now though which is progress[emoji15].

Keep us updated with how he’s getting on as it also reassures me that we’ll get there!
Happy new year!

Offline lynnemcneil

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2018, 01:23:06 PM »

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2018, 02:47:28 PM »
Happy New year to you too Lynne,
Sounds like you are having progress too which is great,
With regard to the growling and snapping when he's touched, will he let you groom him?
When Leo was adverse to touch my trainer told me to try some grooming activities to let him know touch is rewarding.. I didn't think it would work because Leo is so scared of his brush but within 5 minutes she had Leo eating treats out of one hand while she brushed him with the other hand. The idea was, every time he turned his head away from the treats, the treats AND the brush were stopped.. so he quickly learnt that the brush meant treats.. I feel like this then stopped his aversion to touch in most other aspects.. Leo wouldn't let me stroke his head, and now he moved his head to you to have his face stroked.
Just a thought!!
Love and hugs to Leo's twin. I'll be sure to keep you updated