Author Topic: Barking at door bell  (Read 872 times)

Offline Natalielouise56

Barking at door bell
« on: December 22, 2017, 08:37:35 AM »
Hi all, so our little rascal is now 6 months old! He is generally good at training and seems to pick things up fairly quickly. I’ve just trained him to not touch food that is on a plate on our foot stool that we sometimes use to put nibbles on but I can’t for the life of me get him to stop licking the plates in the dishwasher (any advice on this is also appreciated!).
He is not good though when anybody knocks on the door or rings the bell. He will bark like mad and run straight to the door - fairly common behaviour I suppose but how can I train him out of this? He does like to sit on the bottom step of our stairs when I go out in the morning to work and he won’t go out of the door as we’ve rained him to ‘stay’ but when the door goes he won’t respond to any commands at all! All training goes out of the window and my god when the Tesco delivery man comes it’s a nightmare!!  :lol2:

Offline ips

Re: Barking at door bell
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 09:54:54 AM »
Ours is same, goes bonkers if door goes or if anyone walks up the yard. I have recently managed to train a reliable "stay" so I can leave her in lounge whilst I answer the door. She sounds like she would bight your head off but the reality is she lies down for a belly rub once the "attacker" is let in 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline hoover

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:27:51 AM »
Another one with a dog that goes that bonkers at the doorbell.  We just have to lead Ollie to the kitchen behind the puppy gate where he continues to bark but at least whoever is at the door is reassured that he can not get to them.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:58:30 AM »
Yep exactly the same in my house, jett goes mental when someone is at the front door   >:D

I've managed to get him to sit but he still barks like crazy and when the person comes in they need to be ready for a good Jett licking  :005:

This is one thing i'm going to let him to continue doing as he isn't doing any harm. He is just trying to protect the home by sounding scary.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 08:55:48 PM »
I'm sure Darwin thinks I only order things from Amazon so that he can bark at the delivery man :005:

Offline Natalielouise56

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 09:57:16 PM »
It appears that all cockers are the same! Think I’ll persevere with trying to get him to sit on the bottom step...or just chuck him out in the garden when Tesco arrives  :lol2:
On the plus side, we let him off the lead for the first time yesterday and today and his recall was excellent. Fingers crossed it lasts  :shades:

Offline Minky

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 06:21:42 PM »
Yep exactly the same in my house, jett goes mental when someone is at the front door   >:D

I've managed to get him to sit but he still barks like crazy and when the person comes in they need to be ready for a good Jett licking  :005:

This is one thing i'm going to let him to continue doing as he isn't doing any harm. He is just trying to protect the home by sounding scary.

A Jett wash!!!!  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »
Gemma will also bark and run to the door when someone calls. I do not mind as it makes the caller aware that she is about.  She does try to get to them to give a spaniel once over so we do have a bit of a "conversation" to get her to calm down . Mmmm, thinking about it, I wonder what the caller thinks while listening in  ph34r
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----