Author Topic: Bit of an update on Chester and some concerns  (Read 1068 times)

Offline bessymate4eva

Bit of an update on Chester and some concerns
« on: February 14, 2018, 11:46:09 AM »
So since my last post about Chester we have been trying different things to try to help with his guarding. We had him at the vets on Monday as our behaviourist suggested he be checked over as he seemed lethargic and we also had concerns about him not being interested in his food. It's been difficult as some of the foods he was fine with before e.g. chicken he loved with his dry food now doesn't seem to want it. When we put the bowl down he tends to walk off and even if we take it away he doesn't want it later either it's really hard just encouraging him to eat. We end up hand feeding some of it which he eventually eats some of. We have tried lots of different things too. Anyway he has had a blood test done and we have to get a urine sample from him so just waiting for the results. We have made sure to give him lots more cuddles and attention away from our other dog which seems to be helping him. We got a baby gate to stop him going upstairs as he guarded in one of the bedrooms. Although now if he is desperate to get to that room he will try to push past us when we are going through the gate. He did that this morning and unfortunately bit my brother as he was trying to stop him  :'(. The vet said to us that it is very strange that he guards our possessions rather than food or his toys which apparently is what dogs normally guard against  :huh:. The vet we saw is also a behaviourist. She  just suggested that we make sure he gets time away from Lucy and that we try to stop him having the opportunity to guard. He does seem to have improved a little bit I hope we can find out why he's not bothered about eating much as that's becoming quite difficult. Sorry for the long post. Hopefully everything will be ok with him 

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Re: Bit of an update on Chester and some concerns
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
Oh dear, poor Chester! I hope the blood tests come back ok. Pip and Honey send lots of love xx
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline bessymate4eva

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »
Oh dear, poor Chester! I hope the blood tests come back ok. Pip and Honey send lots of love xx

Thankyou Wendall  :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
Hi, sorry to hear you‘re still having problems, I do hope  the vet will be able to help you get to the bottom of it and that Chester perks up soon. I don‘t have a lot of experience with guarding but can‘t really agree that they tend to guard food rather than toys, that isn‘t the case with Humphrey who would let me take his bowl away while he‘s eating but can sometimes get very grumpy if I want him to give me his ball. I think they guard different things, places, things, people etc depending  on their value to the dog.
You sound a little stressed about the situation ( that‘s just the impression I have but please forgive me if I‘m wrong) and I‘m just wondering if your anxiety is rubbing off on Chester and making the situation worse? If the vet‘s tests don‘t reveal anything that explain the loss of appetite, and he‘s physically ok, I  would suggest putting his normal food down in the normal way and see what happens. I think if you go down the road of hand feeding and trying to tempt with this and that, you‘re in danger of creating a fussy eater, you‘re also sending out the message that you‘re worried and that might unsettle him even more.
I hope you can resolve the problems soon, best of luck!

Offline bessymate4eva

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 02:09:28 PM »
Hi, sorry to hear you‘re still having problems, I do hope  the vet will be able to help you get to the bottom of it and that Chester perks up soon. I don‘t have a lot of experience with guarding but can‘t really agree that they tend to guard food rather than toys, that isn‘t the case with Humphrey who would let me take his bowl away while he‘s eating but can sometimes get very grumpy if I want him to give me his ball. I think they guard different things, places, things, people etc depending  on their value to the dog.
You sound a little stressed about the situation ( that‘s just the impression I have but please forgive me if I‘m wrong) and I‘m just wondering if your anxiety is rubbing off on Chester and making the situation worse? If the vet‘s tests don‘t reveal anything that explain the loss of appetite, and he‘s physically ok, I  would suggest putting his normal food down in the normal way and see what happens. I think if you go down the road of hand feeding and trying to tempt with this and that, you‘re in danger of creating a fussy eater, you‘re also sending out the message that you‘re worried and that might unsettle him even more.
I hope you can resolve the problems soon, best of luck!

Thankyou bizzylizzy it is very stressful as quite often he will just pick something in the room to guard. Some members of the family are scared to stroke him sometimes even myself included as he can started growling at something he is guarding at the other side of the room. We will have to see what the results come up with but he seems totally uninterested in food at the moment. I try to not be anxious around him but have to admit that I do find it difficult at times. He's amazing when he isn't guarding he's a cuddly loving dog he just changes so quickly.

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 07:53:28 PM »
Hello.

I work with a trainer who was telling me a story about a cocker like this- want to PM me and I can give you her details? She had a great solution that might be worth a try.  :D

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 08:19:16 PM »
I really feel for you. I hope the tests come back clear.
I just want to say that my experience with Archie was totally at odds with what your vet said. He never guarded his food or toys because they belonged to him. He guarded only things that were stolen. It could be literally anything. If he guarded a room it was because there was something in there that he couldn’t get to, but that he didn’t want me to take - not the room itself. I always managed to find what it was and diffuse the situation. The only food he has guarded has been food that he doesn’t want! (I know  :shades:). It’s like he doesn’t want it but doesn’t want anyone else to have it. He will guard his normal food if he is feeling sick and doesn’t want to eat it and he will also guard his own sick if he is ill - still the one remaining guarding issue that I struggle to deal with. The interesting thing is that you can literally see the conflict he is having. He really doesn’t want the thing he is guarding but doesn’t want it to be taken away. Once I get it from him he will totally relax and be back to normal. Almost as if he is relieved to no longer have the responsibility.
Certainly prevention is the first step with a guarding dog. I am still extremely careful about what is left lying around for Archie to pick up and we rarely go anywhere new without an escape plan! You do need a sure fire way to diffuse the situation if it arises though. Working out a strategy with a behaviourist would be my best advice. Until you can work out the root cause (anxiety and nervousness was Archie’s issue) then it’s difficult to fix. I really hope you manage to get to the. Ottom of things and see some improvements soon. x

Offline bessymate4eva

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »
I really feel for you. I hope the tests come back clear.
I just want to say that my experience with Archie was totally at odds with what your vet said. He never guarded his food or toys because they belonged to him. He guarded only things that were stolen. It could be literally anything. If he guarded a room it was because there was something in there that he couldn’t get to, but that he didn’t want me to take - not the room itself. I always managed to find what it was and diffuse the situation. The only food he has guarded has been food that he doesn’t want! (I know  :shades:). It’s like he doesn’t want it but doesn’t want anyone else to have it. He will guard his normal food if he is feeling sick and doesn’t want to eat it and he will also guard his own sick if he is ill - still the one remaining guarding issue that I struggle to deal with. The interesting thing is that you can literally see the conflict he is having. He really doesn’t want the thing he is guarding but doesn’t want it to be taken away. Once I get it from him he will totally relax and be back to normal. Almost as if he is relieved to no longer have the responsibility.
Certainly prevention is the first step with a guarding dog. I am still extremely careful about what is left lying around for Archie to pick up and we rarely go anywhere new without an escape plan! You do need a sure fire way to diffuse the situation if it arises though. Working out a strategy with a behaviourist would be my best advice. Until you can work out the root cause (anxiety and nervousness was Archie’s issue) then it’s difficult to fix. I really hope you manage to get to the. Ottom of things and see some improvements soon. x

Thankyou Archie bean it's nice to hear someone who has been in a similar situation. I think Chesters guarding is fear based too he gets extremely stressed if people start shouting or are stressed. The thing you said about Archie guarding food but not wanting it Chester is so like that too. Hopefully with training and time he will improve its just getting everyone in the house on board  with it :doh: