Author Topic: not eating in morning...  (Read 1876 times)

Offline rachmonkey

not eating in morning...
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:35:44 AM »
Hi, my happy and healthy 1 year old cocker is simply not interested in his food in the mornings. He might eat some tasy chicken if I put it on the top but simply walks off as if to say 'not bothered'. Hes' on a mix of dry and wet Wainwrights. He sometimes eats it  if i try late morning (but obviously we arent always there to do this). He usually eats his evening meal (which is the same). We add in veg and other nice things seomtimes which sometimes helps. I know not to chop and change his food, but the 18 yr old told me in Pets at Home, that 'dogs wont get bored of food...' (he certainly looks i thought! :shades:).

any ideas?Does he simply need much less now he's one? shoudl i change his food?
 suggestions would be gratefully received.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: not eating in morning...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:21:49 AM »
Perhaps that’s just the way he likes to eat now. Henry used to wolf every meal when he was a pup. From about ten months old he lost interest in breakfast. His first meal of the day will be sometime between 1pm and 3pm.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 01:50:30 PM »
I don't think you need to worry. Sometimes they will decide they aren't bothered - at bit like us. When I have taken Mr B out for his early morning ablutions he sometimes wants some biscuits/kibbles. Other times he will just sniff and walk off. Just a sort of 'not for me thanks'. A corner of buttered toast however is a different matter ...

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 07:24:34 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much, some mornings Daisy barely glances at her food, and other days devours it . I have yet to see any logic, and she is absolutely fine, so I don't worry about it, just the way she is.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 08:16:18 PM »
My 14 month pup has never been bothered by food really unless it is for a training purpose.
He only has dry food and generally won't eat it when offered in a bowl. However if I put it in a treat ball or in a snuffle blanket or just use it for training then he will happily eat it.

I was told once  'a dog dosnt know how to starve himself. If he's hungry he will eat it'  so don't panic too much. Aslong as he is a good weight and not losing any.