Author Topic: Diet for an Elderly Cocker  (Read 2651 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Diet for an Elderly Cocker
« on: January 02, 2018, 09:31:16 PM »
My boy Jazz had an episode of sickness at the end of last week.  I telephoned the vet because he is diabetic and obviously I could not give him his insulin if he hadn't eaten.  My normal reaction would have been to starve him for 24 hours but this was not an option with his diabetes.  I spoke to one of the nurses who advised me to try him with some scrambled egg and if he would eat that then I could give him half his normal insulin dose.  He did eat the scrambled egg but was then sick again the following day.  For the last three days I have fed him a small amount of Lilly's Kitchen, soaked in hot water for a few seconds, with cooked chicken and cooked rice.  My vet recently advised me to add a heaped dessertspoon of cottage cheese to his meals to increase his protein level.  This he loves.   Jazz really enjoys the chicken and rice diet and his bowl is cleaned very quickly.   However, I am concerned that he is not getting the nutrients he needs if I continue with this regime.

Could anyone advise what you feed your elderly doggies as I want him to have as nutritious a diet as possible, but one that he enjoys and will readily eat.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Diet for an Elderly Cocker
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:06:07 PM »
Sorry to hear Jazz has been unwell.  Am I right in thinking he is about 12 or 13? I seem to remember when Ben was around that age he had a fairly bland diet as he could no longer tolerate all the foods he previously had before.  He had chicken and rice most days, a big spoonful of goats yoghurt or even live natural yoghurt (I know some dogs don't tolerate this but he always did), he would eat shredded wheat moistened with a little water, scrambled eggs, sometimes Weetabix but it does have added salt so we didn't give him that too often but he did like it!!

To be honest when Ben reached 13 I stopped worrying to much about ensuring he was getting all the nutrients he had previously and he had what he seemed to enjoy eating, he liked softer textures as he had some teeth removed and he continued to eat really well and enjoy his food.  I used to worry he was missing out on things he had previously enjoyed, but if I did give him foods that were richer he just didn't tolerate them and either had an upset stomach or was sick so I kept it plain.  I don't know how you feed Jazz, but Ben and Harry have always been on 3 smaller meals a day, and as Ben got older that seemed to work really well as he got a lot of pleasure from his meals and it was easy to give him any meds he needed with food as there always seemed to be a meal on the horizon!! 

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:51:59 AM »
Ollie is 10 and has always had a funny tummy, I have for about 12months given him Naturediet which is a wet food, although it is mixed with a small amount dry food(that I add).  Naturediet is 60% chicken/turkey with rice and veg.  They do a great salmon one for sensetive tums(it is my rescue food never without one in cupboard) which gets his tum and poops back to normal if he has been given something naughty!!

They do a senior lite and the reviews on pets at home are great, just not sure of the diatbetic suitablity, but the whole ingredients are on Pets at Home site for you to look at - Naturediet Senior-Lite Turkey with Vegetables and Rice Dog Food 390g
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/naturediet-tray-senior---light-dog-food-with-rabbit--turkey--vegetables---rice-390gm

I have also given Forthglade Complete Meal Chicken with Tripe and Brown Rice 395g from Pets at Home which has 75% meat then rice and veg, he has no problems on this, just find it a bit sloppy compared to Naturediet.

If it proves OK for Jazz try buying Naturediet from Wilko/wilkinsons at as 90p at 39 pence cheaper. Plus they will let you order online and collect.

Pets at Home website is worth a look as very informative - breaks down the food content and shows customer feedback.

I always give Ollie two small meals a  day rather than one because of his tummy issues, he digest the smaller meal well.

Hope this helps
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 10:43:56 AM »
Naturediet is good food, but can I just mention that they don't use rabbit in their recipes now, what used to be Rabbit and Turkey dinner has been replaced by Chicken and Turkey, if you decide to stick with ND might be worth looking at their webshop as it is cheaper there than at PAH atm (£13.72 for 18 trays)+ £2.40 mainland deliv if order is less than 24kilo (about 4 packs of 18 trays) free over 24kilo

https://www.naturediet.co.uk/standard-single-and-twin-pack
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 10:54:22 AM »
When my puppy was ill last year and I was concerned the chicken and rice wasn't providing all the necessary nutrients, my vet suggested I try a couple of tins of Royal Canin I/d (I think).  it's for sensitive stomachs and contains all that they need.  But the best thing about it is that my puppy (who is very fussy) absolutely loved it.  Vet mentioned that most dogs really like it.  It's expensive, but if you're looking for something to add occasionally or to boost your boy's appetite (or if cost isn't an issue), I'd definitely recommend it.  Here's a link to somewhwre you can get it cheaper than at the vet: https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/dogs/food/royal-canin-veterinary-diet/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-gastro-intestinal-canine-wet?v=2722-3719&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm9ChxZK-2AIVzLftCh2Csg_bEAUYASABEgKBTPD_BwE
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »
Thanks so much for all your replies, its really helpful.  Yes Ben's Mom, Jazz will be 13 in March and I currently feed him twice a day.  He seems to be tolerating a small amount of Lilly's Kitchen mixed with his chicken and rice but I haven't introduced the Burns Lamb and Rice back into his diet since he was poorly.  I will definitely consider all your suggestions. I'm chastising myself as I ought to have realised that his tummy probably cannot tolerate what he ate when he was younger now he is a senior spaniel.  As long as he is eating, that's the main thing with him being diabetic.   I will look at the Royal Canin if he has further problems.   Thanks again.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 11:54:59 PM »
it took me a while to connect Ben getting an upset tummy with the food I was giving him eg my boys have always had a 'sunday roast' so i would do an extra roast potato for them and they would have some meat, veg and gravy  ph34r but it became evident that this as becoming too rich for Ben so i used to give him chicken instead which he liked.

I also meant to say, having a bland diet which possibly wasn't as nutritionally balanced as he had when younger didn't appear to have any detrimental effect on his physical health, he still had bags of energy and stamina and was in very good physical shape, heartbreakingly it was the dementia which was the issue. He was having regular health checks becuasue of the dementia tablets and at 13 and 14 he was very fit for his age  :luv:

Offline blackpug

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 12:14:09 AM »
If you’re giving your dog chicken, boil it in a big pan with lots of water and when the chicken is cooked, keep the ‘broth’ it was cooked in. Let it cool and keep in fridge. Add this to any ‘bland’ meals you give to flavour it. My dogs love it even though it looks unappetising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black 'Angel' and Sable 'Willow'.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 09:24:25 AM »
If you’re giving your dog chicken, boil it in a big pan with lots of water and when the chicken is cooked, keep the ‘broth’ it was cooked in. Let it cool and keep in fridge. Add this to any ‘bland’ meals you give to flavour it. My dogs love it even though it looks unappetising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to do this for my old Milo. You can freeze the broth in ice cube trays, and just add a cube to any food, as black pug said.
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 09:44:21 PM »
When I had my old girl Millie we used to give her porridge in the morning, I would soak it over night in water,  she loved this..
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 09:22:14 PM »
Thanks for all your replies and advice.  I buy whole chickens for Jazz and roast them and then take all the meat off and bag it up for individual meals and freeze it.   I've never boiled the chickens.  I bought him some plain live yoghurt last Friday when I shopped and he now has a heaped dessertspoon mid morning which, to my amazement he loves.  I put this in the smallest bowl I could find otherwise his ears are plastered in yoghurt.  So far he is loving his food and no more tummy problems. 

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 06:57:51 PM »
Lovely to read Jazz is enjoying his yoghurt  :luv: I know what you mean about the ears though, they do tend to get covered xx