Author Topic: Smelly cheese paws  (Read 867 times)

Offline Loony Lola

Smelly cheese paws
« on: January 02, 2018, 05:28:12 PM »
Lola is nearly two and recently she has this very unpleasant cheese smell about her. I think it may be her paws as they are damp most of the time given the conditions where we live. (Rural and constantly muddy ) She was groomed and trimmed just before Christmas so paws  are very short haired at the moment it doesn't seem to bother her but it is very over powering ....any ideas please ...would Thornit powder work ? Thanks Victoria

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Smelly cheese paws
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:27:30 PM »
If there isn't any inflammation, I would suspect a yeast infection, that revels in warm damp areas.   You could try a mix of cider vinegar and water,  dunking laws. Then make sure they dry off. A human trichologist told me that Head and shoulders original shampoo cleared everything off his dogs, without causing skin problems. Just be sure you rinse well.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:56:21 PM »
Thorn it's might work, but there might be an issue the it getting wet on walks and turning into a paste on fur and between the pads,  so the paw won't dry.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Loony Lola

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 10:24:37 AM »
Thanks Phoenix have got the head and shoulders and will try that later but shhhhhh don't tell Lola she hates  a bath !!!  >:D :005:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 05:41:13 PM »
Yes sounds very much like a yeast infection to me - I used to have to bathe Wilf in malasseb every so often to get rid of his
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 08:53:04 PM »
If your dog is prone to yeast you may have to look at their food.  Most carbs turn into sugars