Author Topic: Advice for noise sensitive dog?  (Read 953 times)

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
Advice for noise sensitive dog?
« on: January 05, 2018, 10:05:13 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on how I can help/ calm my 8 year old boy who is EXTREMELY sensitive when it comes to noises around the house/outside?

When someone opens a door elsewhere in the house, the wind comes down the chimney, a window closes, a bus goes past outside, the neighbour goes up their stairs, the fire spits etc etc he gets very anxious, dashes off and generally is scared!

I've tried to reassure him but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks in advance. 

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
Re: Advice for noise sensitive dog?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 10:54:56 PM »
No suggestions..?

Offline Dragon trainer

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:00:36 AM »
Is this a new behaviour? If it is it might be worth a visit to the vets to get his ears checked. You could try a DAP diffuser which can help calm nervous/ anxious dogs who are noise sensitive.

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:58:18 AM »
Thanks dragon trainer. It's not new behaviour but been getting worse over the past year or so. I've tried adaptil but it doesn't make any difference. We had to turn round on our walk this morning as he heard a car alarm and wouldn't go any further!

Offline Dragon trainer

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 11:15:00 AM »
My first dog, a Labrador, was a very anxious dog and the behaviourist we saw suggested a thunder shirt. Have you considered herbal calming remedies for pets, the company dorwest are very good?

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »
One of my Scotties was like this, she was terrified of traffic, any loud noises, even if you clapped your hands she cringed. We tried all sorts to,desensitise her, but to no avail. We just avoided pavement walks where possible, and we live a quiet life anyway, but it did cause a few problems. I'm afraid she never grew out of it, so I'm sorry I can't offer any advice. She didn't get any worse though, so maybe it's worth getting your dog vet checked in case there may be some underlying cause.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 01:26:37 PM »
Hi,
I would definitely recommend a thunder shirt, works wonders for our dog and fireworks but I have heard they don't work for everyone. Good thing is they have a guarantee so if it dosnt work you can get your money back.
Also with regard to natural remedies I use a lady called ' all natural pet' and her calming tincture.. this again, works beautifully for us and you can adjust the dose to suit. You can find her on Facebook, she is really helpful and sends out very quickly (if you ordered today you would most likely receive on tuesday)

Hope you find something that works, it must be heartbreaking for you.
The only other thing I might suggest is maybe playing sounds etc on a low level at home? Sounds stupid but Leo used to bark and growl loads if he heard a dog barking outside. It would stop him sleeping in the evenings. I spent a few weeks just playing the noise of a dog barking very occasionally and treating him when he didn't react.  Now if a dog barks outside he rarely makes a sound.

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 06:37:13 PM »
Thanks all for your suggestions. I think I'll give a thundershirt a try and look into natural remedies.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 07:09:49 PM »
That's a good idea Leo. I believe you can get CDs for dogs that have various sounds to acclimatise them. Maybe have a google?

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 11:50:19 PM »
I use 'Pet Remedy' spray and plugin in the house (mostly as I have cats and dogs so I don't need to have feliway and adaptil).

T-touch may help as well with some dogs who are noise sensistive - may be worth being taught how to use it rather than use books/CD/DVD as often its how much touch you use etc. - you can do a day workshop or similar
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!