Author Topic: Puppy loves lying down in muddy water. Help!  (Read 1471 times)

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
Puppy loves lying down in muddy water. Help!
« on: February 06, 2018, 03:50:58 PM »
Hi.

I've already got a 3 year old show cocker and had a mad moment and fell in love with another one last August  :005:

My now 8 month old has a fascination of running into nearly every puddle found to man, takes a swipe of the water in his mouth first and then usually lies completely down in it  >:D.  I've tried pre-empting the puddles and distracting him but it might work once on the whole walk.  Our usual walks are 1/3rd pavement and 2/3rds park/farmland.

Other than putting him on the lead for most of the walk (which I'm struggling with the pulling and also not realistic, as he needs freedom too), any advice most welcome.  He is good at recall when he's not wallowing in water! 

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Puppy loves lying down in muddy water. Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 04:48:27 PM »
It’s going to be very hard competing with such an amazing self-reward. Here’s what I did with Henry and squirrels. I had him on the lead (very important) and walked him towards a squirrel. As soon as he noticed it, but hadn’t already got excited, I turned 180, keeping Henry close to my leg, brightly saying one of his nicknames (Pen Pen) and as soon as he looked at me, I gave him the BEST food reward (for him, cheese or hotdog). Repeat at every opportunity.

Over a few weeks, we were able to get closer and closer to the squirrels and still be able to turn away. Now he just looks at squirrels and remembers how good NOT chasing them feels. I still reinforce occasionally, and.calling Pen Pen! is our cue to look away from distractions and to me.

You’ll have to keep him on the lead for the duration of this training, though. 
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »
 :doh: :doh: had to read post through again....was just wondering how you managed to pre-empty the puddles?  :huh:
 :005:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »
where is Sir Water Walter Raleigh when you need him  :011:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 08:25:24 PM »
Sorry, no advice, apart from distraction with something that he will find more exciting than the puddle.  >:(

Some dogs just seem to be drawn to water/mud/poo and other disgusting things.  Sadly it may be that the only way to completely stop him is to avoid the things that he finds so irresistible  :-\

I hope he is not as bad as this dog:  https://www.fbvideo.com/videos/3761625000527198

Look how happy this dog is though (sorry   :005: )
Julie and Watson

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:10:02 AM »
Thanks bizzylizzy - made me chuckle  ;). I will attempt that londongirl today.  The cold air really sets him off and seems to love the cold and water (not baths though)!, I'd seen that video before I had Snoopy, how I laughed - now I'm not ! 

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 09:46:00 AM »
Great video  :lol2:. TFS. Dylan thought the dog had lost its mind  :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 10:25:52 AM »
I know this isn't helpful at all - but Ben was the same and we never managed to stop him - sorry  :D
We could be walking across a field and he would spot a puddle and he just had to wallow no matter how cold it was. He loved puddles, streams, the sea and worse of all those stagnant ditches in woods  :P 

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
. I'd seen that video before I had Snoopy, how I laughed - now I'm not !

:lol2:  Yes, it is always so much funnier when it's someone else's dog  :005:

I am the same with dogs raiding picnics  >:D
Julie and Watson

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
When Jett was around 6 months old he could not resist going in the deepest dirtiest puddles or go for a quick swim in the river.
In the end we started to know where the big muddy puddles were and put him on the lead, same with the river.

He now is quite good and does avoid them. But occasionally he stops and looks at me, then dashes off  >:D. At this point I know exactly what he is doing, he then comes back filthy/stinking or soaking  :005:
He does make us laugh as he knows he is being naughty, as you can tell by the look he gives us before he does it  :lol2:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 07:30:17 PM »
Yep I have a swamp dog.  A lovely orange roan lady that will seek out the dirtiest smelliest puddle to swim in but put her in a clean bath and you would think I was pouring something disgusting on her!  We have had many photos taken on COL walks where she is a lovely shade of green from fresh cow pats too!

When you find the magic spell, let me know.  :005: :005:

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 01:21:17 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Well I did manage one distraction and then I lost my nerve and put him on the lead through the lanes.  Nice to come home without thinking that I had to deal with him immediately :D. The next day I went out and did more distractions with treats which helps but my other cocker is now expecting a treat every 5 seconds :005:
The joys of having two!