Author Topic: Puppy dental sticks  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Natalielouise56

Puppy dental sticks
« on: January 08, 2018, 08:51:36 PM »
Hi all-
Can anybody recommend a brand of puppy dental sticks for the little rascal to chew? He is 6 months now  :D

Offline RobinRed

Re: Puppy dental sticks
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 09:58:34 PM »
Hi I don’t know about dental sticks but our 6 month pup Harry loves to chew on yak bars made from hardened yak milk.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:43:32 AM »
Most dental sticks are very unhealthy and full of fat.  If it's to occupy your pup and you can stand the smell dried tripe sticks are great.

Avoid anything hard as it can damage teeth.  If it's to help with teething just tie a knot in a wet tea towel and put it in the freezer.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »
Most dental sticks are very unhealthy and full of fat.  If it's to occupy your pup and you can stand the smell dried tripe sticks are great.

Avoid anything hard as it can damage teeth.  If it's to help with teething just tie a knot in a wet tea towel and put it in the freezer.

I agree with Pat - Some dental sticks are also full of sugar and certainly man made so we avoid them.  Carrots are another alternative and if teething, frozen carrot sticks work a treat!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:37:14 AM »
Agree with the comments about commercial processed ‘chews’. Apart from being full of gunk, I found they disappeared in about five minutes flat AND upset my pup’s stomach. My dog loved bully sticks at about six months. One would last a long time, they are low fat so it wouldn’t upset his stomach, and firm while being gentle on the teeth.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Natalielouise56

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:57:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I did think that dental sticks weren’t particularly healthy hence my question! He loves carrots and I’ve tried frozen, twisted flannels which do all seem to help with teething. We’ve just noticed he has smelly breath sometimes so wondered about dental hygiene for him.  :005:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:20:36 PM »
Frozen banana goes down well too, or put inside a kong  and frozen.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo