Author Topic: Help! Second teething stage  (Read 1397 times)

Offline RobinRed

Help! Second teething stage
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:35:09 PM »
Hi does anyone have any suggestions on how I can deter Harry from chewing the banisters when we’re out?

He’s 6 months old and I’m pretty sure he has all his teeth but the back ones do seem to cause him problems and there’s nothing he likes more at the moment than chewing hard object. When we’re in this isn’t a problem as we can direct him onto the things we want him to chew but when we’re out (we both work but he’s never left for longer than 4 hours)  he likes to have a gnaw on the banisters/door frames/skirting boards.  We’ve tried a spray but that doesn’t seem to stop him.  He’s left with toys, stuffed Kong and yak bar at the moment.

I’m wondering if there’s anything I can safely rub over the woodwork which might stop him?.

Thanks for your help.
Liz

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Help! Second teething stage
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »
I tried the sprays too but they weren‘t really much help. I‘ve heard of people smearing on all sorts of things from vick to mustard etc but a) you need to consider what theye things will do to the wood and b), more important, what they do to the dog. Humphrey used to have a wooden root chewing block which was really good (until it got jammed underneath the pine secretary and he chewed the leg off trying to get it out!!  :005:) , they‘re a bit pricy but last forever and used to keep him occupied for hours, I can certainly recommend them. The only alternative ofcourse is to leave him somewhere where he can‘t do much damage, Humphrey‘s chewy phase didn‘t last very long, so it‘s would onl have to be a temporary measure probably.
You could always change the decor to „shabby chic“ and tell everyone the bannister is supposed to look like that!  ;) :005:

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 02:00:25 PM »
I too tried using the sprays but they did nothing. I bought the same as bizzylizzy a wooden root chewing block, I got it from a local petshop and paid about £15 for it.
It definitely kept him busy and seemed to help reduce the damage around the house. Luckily mine wasn't too bad, he is more interested in shredding stuff.

He managed to get an Ikea catalog the other day and he totally destroyed the whole thing, all into really small pieces  :005: you would of thought he would of learnt by now as he is 14 months old. I just don't get why he likes to shred stuff, its very bizarre  :huh:

Offline poptart

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »
Ooh, wooden chair legs and banisters are just so irresistible, aren't they?  :lol:

My life's got a lot easier since someone recommended an antler for Tiree to gnaw. You can buy them in different sizes at the pet shop.
Mind you he did rip a hole in his bed yesterday so it's not foolproof. :-\

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
I too tried using the sprays but they did nothing. I bought the same as bizzylizzy a wooden root chewing block, I got it from a local petshop and paid about £15 for it.
It definitely kept him busy and seemed to help reduce the damage around the house. Luckily mine wasn't too bad, he is more interested in shredding stuff.

He managed to get an Ikea catalog the other day and he totally destroyed the whole thing, all into really small pieces  :005: you would of thought he would of learnt by now as he is 14 months old. I just don't get why he likes to shred stuff, its very bizarre  :huh:

Humphrey raids the paper bins all the time and gets really excited when the postman comes as  he gets all the envelopes and circulars to shred. The stuff‘s much easier to get into the recycling bin when its already pre-shredded!  :005:

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »

Humphrey raids the paper bins all the time and gets really excited when the postman comes as  he gets all the envelopes and circulars to shred. The stuff‘s much easier to get into the recycling bin when its already pre-shredded!  :005:

:005: Thats a great idea regarding the recycling

This is what I came home to:

I'm guessing he didn't like Ikea  :005:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 04:12:19 PM »
One of my Scotties chewed the ends of the wooden rockers on a rocking chair, so you tipped up if you rocked  >:( :lol2:
One persisted in chewing the carpet, I rubbed a chilli on edge of the carpet, didn't stain it, and not too powerful to hurt the dog, but it did the trick.
And I'v had two 'shredders' - I think they just love the sensation and sound of the paper! A bit like us popping bubble wrap, can't resist it! Just keep your tax returns out of the way!

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline RobinRed

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 05:23:13 PM »
Oh my word they really can be little darlings can’t they >:D. Thanks so much for sharing it makes it more bearable when you know other people are having their homes wrecked too  ;)

Not sure what’s up with him today he’s a whirling dervish  >:D >:D we’ve just walked to the pet shop and he acted as though he has never been on a lead before in his life!! I put a hat on and hoped no one recognised me  :embarassed:

He’s now chewing on his new antler and has a root ready to introduce him to when he ventures near anything wooden.........wish me luck!!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 05:57:21 PM »

That wasn‘t Jett, it must have been that other monster lying there - I mean, just look at him, he‘s totally exhausted after all that work!!  :005:

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 09:21:36 AM »

That wasn‘t Jett, it must have been that other monster lying there - I mean, just look at him, he‘s totally exhausted after all that work!!  :005:

Haha that monster is Jett's best mate, Jett seems to like sleeping next to him  :005:
When we got in to the mess, Jett looks at us like he didn't do it  :lol2:

Offline RobinRed

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 05:19:00 PM »
Hi, today was a much better day. I think Harry mostly slept having worn himself out yesterday by being a devil  >:D but he still chewed one banister a bit - a colleague suggested I put some mustard where he’s chewing. Is this safe?
Thanks again.
Liz

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 08:18:07 PM »
Not sure about mustard. Are you able to block the area so he can't get to it?
Also when you leave him on his own do you section off an area for him or does he have freedom to roam the house?

With Jett we have an area sectioned off. There isn't a lot he can destroy in that area.