Author Topic: Houdini and the car harness...  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Leo0106

Houdini and the car harness...
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:12:56 AM »
Hi all,
 just wondered if anyone has any ideas on a Houdini proof car harness?
Leo is on the back seats in my car, he has a seat belt attachment which clips onto his usual harness to stop him going anywhere too far but gives him freedom to move. My issue is that he has learnt how to push down on the red part of the seatbelt socket, releases the harness and jumps on my lap  :005:  so now everytime I go somewhere he clambers around and onto the front seat for a bit of love and attention... I've tried putting a guard up in between the front seat but he then decides to lick my ears while I'm driving.... all histerical on a brief journey but not so great on the m25..
He dosnt fit in my boot so I can't put him in there.

Any ideas?

Offline poptart

Re: Houdini and the car harness...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:33:12 AM »
Ha! That's one smart pooch you've got there! :005:

You could try looping a lead round the head rest instead. Or put him in the roof rack? :lol2:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 01:00:22 PM »
I wonder if there are baby-proof guards for the release button, something that attaches to the seat belt and slides down to cover the button?
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:41:23 PM »
That is one smart pooch. I have people in my car who struggle to unclip the seat belt!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:56:36 PM »
 :005: :005: - sorry, shouldn‘t laugh but I‘ve got visions of him giving you directions next...... :005:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 08:10:56 PM »
Hahaha! Thanks all, yes smart pup.... too bloody smart.. he looks so impressed with himself when he appears on my passenger seat  :005: can't help but laugh really.
Poptart love the roof rack idea  :lol2:
Londongirl the socket cover might be a way forward thankyou.. I'll have a decent look into that as I hadn't though of That! Was thinking of making something with a carabiner clip too but I'm not very creative  :005:

Bizzylizzy I think if he could tell me he would be better than my satnav.. such a b*****  :005:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 08:50:00 PM »
I have a cocker sized crate on the back seat,fixed with bungee straps.
Bobby had a harness, but would manage to remove the drivers woolly hat. 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 09:33:24 PM »
Thanks Phoenix. I have considered crating but he has never been crated before and I worry that it would make him destrssed.. generally he is a dream in the car. Over Christmas we drove 800miles over the course of 12 days and he would just sleep providing he had a decent walk before.. we have used a stair gate extender to bar him from getting into the front before but he either spent time licking my ears or being quite distressed. Long journeys are fine as he just sleeps. It's the shorter journeys where he tends to be a pain..

Offline lynnemcneil

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »
I won’t be telling Archie that trick!! You could just get a car clip that you attach to the metal ring holding the seatbelt clip rather than into the clip. The first car clip I got just had a clip rather than the seatbelt clip fob(I think it was from pets at home). It was a bit tricky to clip in but no chance of unclipping it, unless of course he bites through the strap!!![emoji23] There’s  always a chance of that with Archie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »
Haha yes we had one of the ones I think you are describing and yes.... when Leo realised he couldn't destroy the harness he destroyed the seat belt of my old car instead haha.
I used my usual seat belt clip harness today and used my new back seat cover which actually has Velcro covers for the seat belt sockets (didn't realise when I bought it-bonus!). First time he's been harnessed in without managing to get out since before chrismtas... cried the whole 20 minute drive on the way to our walk.. kept managing to lean on the centre console with really sad eyes and pawed at my arm  :005: 

Had to turn up my music and not give in to him!!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 10:43:22 PM »
Alright guys.. so Houdini strikes again.. his new favourite thing is drinking out of the toilet.. and yes! I hear you 'just put down the seat' well I did that and he slid his head inbetween the lid and the toilet bowl and lifted it... I hear you say 'close the bathroom doors!' .. well we live in a new build ( all timber and mdf).. He's learnt that pushing a certain part of the doors with 2 paws opens them.. so he lets himself in!

Problem is, he's now refusing to drink out of his water bowl, he will only drink from the toilet!!

What do I do?!?

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 11:03:42 PM »
Don’t use any chemicals in the toilet and remember to flush!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 07:23:23 AM »
My old dog used to open doors by jumping up and pressing down the handle. After he suddenly turned up at the bus stop one day looking for me ( I then missed the bus,😡) OH turned all the handles round so you had to push them  upwards to open  - (we had more of a problem with confused visitors who couldn‘t get OUT of the loo!! :005:)
Could you try putting some tin lids or something on top of the seat so that when he lifts it up, they‘ll fall off and make a noise?

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 09:13:47 AM »
with all haste I would go to your local DIY and buy a cheap toilet and place it soley for cocker use in the kitchen next to his feeding bowl :005:

on a more serious note, maybe a baby gate infront of toilet door, might give you a few days before Houdini strikes again
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed