Author Topic: A few things...  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Leo0106

A few things...
« on: February 16, 2018, 06:38:13 PM »
So.
We are over the worst of it..leos 15 months old, I no longer get attacked daily.. I no longer battle with him to go to sleep.. And I no longer fear that my sofa will be ruined everytime he is unsupervised in the lounge  (I can even have a bath without having to lock him in the kitchen!!)

There's a few little new things that I wondered if any of you have had experience with.. if I'm honest compared to what the last year has challenged me with, they are really not a major concern! But worth seeing if these things can be dealt with..

1. Zoomies after a bath- this dog literally tears around the house for half hour after he has had a bath... He just goes crazy! I thought he was cold? Put a drying coat on him and no difference

2. Zoomies after pooing in the garden- out on walks he dosnt do this.. but if he does a poo in the garden.. when I let him back in.. He goes crazy again!

3. My personal body guard- since my partners been away (4 months now) he wakes at the slightest noise in the evening and barks and growls, then rushes onto my lap and growls at the back door. As well as this, if for any reason a man ever comes between myself and him on a walk he barks at the man consistently until I physically move over to him again.

4. MAYBE resource guarding of bedrooms? He's never really been allowed in bedrooms. But I've tried to gradually introduce him to them (mainly because he learnt how to open the doors and I don't want stair gates on everything) however if he does go onto a bed and I ask him to get down he gets all defensive and will snap at me. I've basically stopped letting him in the bedrooms which is fine for me but my partner would love him to keep us company in bed in the mornings that we are being lazy!

Any tips of any of these things would be great. I'm not too fussed as none of them really hinder the joy we get from him. Just interested to see if anyone's had experience!

Thanks!!

Offline Leo0106

Re: A few things...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »
Oh!!! And one more thing.
He's a loving dog... He loves a cuddle.. but his new thing is, if he wants a cuddle, he climbs quite literally onto my head... he's 16kg and as much as I love his love... this is a little overpowering. (FYI this usually happens most if I am doing uni work on my laptop)

photo sharing free

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 07:00:27 PM »
1. My 11 year old still does this. Zoomies get shorter with age, they never go away. Sit back and enjoy the show or distract him if it bothers you  :021:

2. See point 1. I call these victory laps. But as with any type of zoomies you can distract if it is too much. It is impossible to zoom and do obedience or nosework at the same time  ;)

3. Sounds like insecurity. I remember reading that you can reduce guarding by praising them as soon as they start to get worked up, just interrupting their growl or bark with some praise. Then quickly taking charge by sending them to their place or standing up and having a look at the situation before telling the dog to go lie down. It is supposed to teach them that while it's ok to alert you to "threats", the guarding is your job and you have it under control. It worked for us, but my dog was never a heavy guarder so I may have been lucky. I would either tell her to lie down after praising her. Or give her a few simple tasks to take her mind off it. After some weeks of doing this every time she barked she would only let out one small bark and go lie down as soon as I told her thanks  :D

4. This is more serious. I think you made a good call by not allowing him in places where he resource guards. Make sure you train commands like "jump up" and "get down" and "come here" really well. Then you can use commands to guide him away if needed and never have to escalate his issues. If your partner wants him in the bed then I would say teach him to not jump up without waiting for permission and practice for him to jump up and down on command with lots of treats and praise. This should hopefully help him undestand that the bed is not his and that jumping down when told pays off  :021:

The picture made me laugh, he is lovely  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 07:16:50 PM »
The zoomies.... love them. Never knew that a poo was something to be celebrated until we had cockers  :005:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »
The zoomies.... love them. Never knew that a poo was something to be celebrated until we had cockers  :005:

:005:  another zoomy cocker here, baths, poos, after a game in fact very little excuse needed to trigger a zoomy attack and he is 9 in a few weeks.

Ben used to demand attention by sitting right on our lap or head if he felt we were not giving him enough attention i miss that as Harry is not cuddly at all.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 11:17:37 AM »
The first couple of points seem normal.
Jett goes crazy after a bath, I think he just doesn't like smelling nice.
He also loves to celebrate going for a poo. It seems cockers just want to celebrate anything.
The 3rd point is also similar to Jett (16 months). He barks at front door and any movement outside, I don't mind this as he is just trying to protect us. Not sure about barking at men though.

Point 4 seems the more serious one, I haven't got any experience with guarding so can't really coment but I've read lots of useful posts on this forum.
The main thing is that he is still very young so you can easily train things out of him.

Good luck

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 12:25:02 AM »
ah zoomies, whilst the other two don't bother, Toby cockapoo does a zoomie BEFORE a poo, has done since a pup - as if he is working his way up to the event and needs a good run round first.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline lynnemcneil

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 11:43:29 PM »
Hello! Same behaviours with Leo’s pal Archie!!

The bath (or just ‘wet dog’) zoomies are a regular occurrence, in fact, every time Archie is wet....which frequent in the West of Scotland! I think he just doesn’t like being wet, he runs round our corner couch at 100miles an hour rubbing his wet ears. Maybe try drying him with a hairdryer?? My friend drys her dogs with one but I’ve not attempted it yet, I think he’d be terrified.

The post poo behaviour also happens in the garden and we also have the post walk zoomies, we can have been out for hours and when we get home he starts his mad crazy running round the house!![emoji15]

I can cope with that behaviour though. We still have growling if we pet him when he’s sitting with us, essentially we are just a cushion for him. We can only pet him when he’s walking about, even then, we know when not to!! Still guards certain bones and sometimes areas but he’s now just not allowed the bones. He’s very bad if he grabs his drying towel, he will not give it up, snarling and growling!! It’s hard work having a wcs! I’d just try to avoid guarding situations for the time being!

Enjoy the cuddles and roll on your partner getting home! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Digger

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 09:05:37 AM »
Hi Leo!

Sorry for long post but I had some ideas-all of which you can ignore at your discretion but I know how it is to be pulling your hair out in cocker land and just wanting some ideas to maybe try!

I loved your picture haha Leo is a very cheeky,very gorgeous boy. And there begins our troubles I fear!!! :lol2:. These dogs are so pushy yet so cute that I fear they get away with more than they should. If Leo was a great Dane, would he get away with jumping on your head? Probably not!

As you know, I am having some issues with my little Inca who is now 7 months, so know how you feel, and wanted to share some things I have observed through trial and lots of error with her:
One of my new mantras is 'don't sweat the small stuff' There are a lot of things that need attention and prioritising what is really important has to be top, otherwise you are in conflict all day long about everything and that makes stress.

1 and 2: Zoomies: Yes, annoying but I would just ignore that for now, in favour of sorting the bigger issues.
3: Body guarding: I read somewhere that if your dog does this you should get up and walk off in the style of "I can guard my own body thank you very much- I don't need you to decide who comes near me or not".
4: Snapping at you when you tell him off. A certain young lady I know did this to me yesterday in the garden! It's not nice is it?! What I did was act completely shocked and disgusted, and marched her off and put her behind a gate so she couldn't get back to where I was, and she had to stay there watching me carry on without her for a couple of minutes. Then I diffused the situation by moving into the area I had put her and doing something else. I do find that blanking them is really the only weapon as they will just carry on even worse If you do anything else.

As regards the bedrooms, why not make life easy for yourself and just don't let him up there? Got to be the quickest, easiest fix. I'm not sure if I buy into all that leader of the pack theory, but all dogs are different and maybe some do need more boundaries and if there are areas that he's not allowed in,  maybe it would remind him that's because you are in charge of it.??

Inca is no longer allowed to jump on my head-I have let her know that I think it's a bit rude :lol2:

I would also like to share my latest revelation with you...much as I have played with my pup from day one, I have found that there is a subtle difference in how I play. I have recently hit upon the words 'find it!'  which send my pooch ecstatic with joy.The tail nearly wags her bum off! The other day, she got on a scent and totally ignored my recall, carting off at 300 miles an hour across a field. I avoided that field and took her to unfamiliar places for a few days so she stayed closer, but was worried she might do it again, so in an attempt to have a back up distraction, I took a tennis ball out with us ( haven't done ball throwing thus far due to growth plates thing) anyway, I find some long grass or some sort of ground cover, throw it in and say 'find it!!!' 1)You have never seen a happier dog 2)all the time the ball is there she has NO INTEREST in anything else 3) It keeps her close and with attention on me 4) When the ball is there, she doesn't go piling up to possibly unfriendly dogs or small children in clean yellow coats  :005: All in all, it is a miracle for 50p. When the ball is there she has no interest in treats either. As a working dog it is no surprise that her favourite occupation would be finding things but this is something else and long may it continue.
When it goes away, it goes in my coat pocket. The ball is mine.

Like I say, ignore at your leisure - I am no expert but I am learning that different things push different buttons in different dogs, so the bigger variety of things you can try, the more likely you are to hit on something that works.

I think we both got pretty feisty ones !!!! >:D
 :D

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
Ah the post-bath zoomies! (As opposed to all the other 'just because its there' zoomies)

We try to get Mr B behind the baby gate post-ablutions otherwise there wouldn't be a duvet in the house safe.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 02:06:39 PM »
Digger - I laughed at your comment about small children in yellow raincoats. For a few weeks when Henry was young he would run up to any child in a yellow coat and bark at them. It started out of nowhere and stopped just as suddenly. Funny little creatures (cockers, that is!)
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 03:07:59 PM »
Digger - I laughed at your comment about small children in yellow raincoats. For a few weeks when Henry was young he would run up to any child in a yellow coat and bark at them. It started out of nowhere and stopped just as suddenly. Funny little creatures (cockers, that is!)

:lol2: that's so funny, I wander what was going through his mind and why he picked children with yellow coats.
For about 3 weeks when Jett was young he went strange when he noticed very short men, he would run up to them and just bark  :005:. But exactly the same as Henry it ended very quickly. We never had any idea why he would do this.

They have crazy little minds  :005:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 05:44:10 PM »
Hi all thankyou so much for commenting.. my internet explorer decided to ban me from accessing the forum over the weekend (nearly cried) !! So I'm sorry I havnt got back to you all..

As I suspected from what you all day the guarding the bed is the main concern.. I didn't want to label it with guarding but knew it kind of was..
At the minute I'm really just not letting him in the room. I'm having to baracade the doors as he knows how to open them but I'm trying now to get him to sit and stay at the door if I pop in there to grab something. So he knows he's not allowed in there without my approval. I think if i can master this then I could eventually start training him on and off the bed.. I don't think he's ready for that yet though. Not going to push it and I'm really not bothered about him being in the bedroom.

I'm glad you all know the hilarity and the sporadic triggers for zoomies too!! Leo did used to do it far more as a young pup and now only really does it after a bath or a poo! I guess it may just be one of those things.

Digger thanks your long post, we frequently use 'find it' as a distraction technique. Sometimes when I feel like he's getting bored during the day I'll just say 'find your tug' and he gets so excited searching the house for one of his many tug toys haha

With regard to the men situation.. I do find it weird as he's generally not fussed by all men.. just certain men... I wonder how he will react when his dad approaches him in full military uniform and 4 months worth of baggage of weds morning haha..... again  not too worried as he's not 'going for' the men.. just gives them a warning bark and runs to me. I personally feel that will stop when dad's back.. that and the barking at night has only happened since he's been gone! My little (irritating) protector  :lol2:

I have also started teaching him a 'back' command. I'm now using this for when he gets to close into my personal space or if he attempts to sneak up next to me while I'm eating I say back and he backs up a few paces.. however saying that considering he was sooooo snappy when he was younger with regards to touch, last night he jumped on my head, I sometimes struggle to get up quickly as I need two hip replacements (age 26  :embarassed: ) so I decided just to pop my finger in his collar and ease him onto the floor. I expected to be attacked after that but he just jumped onto another part of the sofa and fell asleep! I was over the moon haha.

Lynne Archie sounds so much like Leo..  Leo never growl when I stroked him but he would mouth like mad, sometimes still does when he snuggled up with me! Weird little creatures.

Sorry if I've missed out anything anyone else has suggested, I'll have amother read through all your wonderful posts tonight.

Thankyou again!

Offline Digger

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 06:29:18 PM »
Yep- and its not just the clean yellow raincoat... When out with a muddy pup with a love of people and a tendency to jump up, one has to carry out a full appraisal of oncoming persons..Oh God, pale pink trousers..oh God a two year old with a white parker with a hood that looks just like a squirrel! All these things need considering before employing tactics a) call dog back-hopefully...or...2) shout ahead 'paws on the floor!!!' Half term in the country park is always worse. When they all go back to school it's just the weather hardy dog walkers left and you can relax again! :005:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 07:13:52 PM »
Post bath zoomies- we are on dog number ten In Our lives, four Cockers, one jack Russell and five Scotties. Every single one has post bath zoomies. In fact our first action on getting them out of the bath and towelling them off is to,open the kitchen door and let them race round the garden barking their heads off! It's a  DOG thing 🐶🐾🐾🐾🐾 I love to watch it, it makes me laugh so much 😂🤣

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo