Author Topic: Beau Is Here Too!  (Read 4810 times)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2005, 09:40:29 PM »
Yip - I am going to do that, just to set my own mind at rest if nothing else!  :unsure:

My neighbour is used to Sophie's malarky now, and has always said that whenever Sophie barks it does not annoy her as she can hardly hear her, but she just worries that Sophie is upsetting herself and that if the barking was constant she would let me know.

I am hoping that has been the case today, and that I have not heard from her because of that.

On a nicer note, Sophie instigated a play session with Beau just after dinner tonight, and it was so funny to see her with her "puppy face" on and her wee tail wagging like the clappers!  :P
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline Spanielsmum

• Site Member
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2005, 11:15:20 PM »
:D Hi tiggerbabe, I'm from Springthing :D As you probably know, I rescued Norris recently (he's a 22 month old Blue Roan) We are still having problems with him being so noisy. We've had to let him sleep in our bedroom in a puppycrate (we had 4 weeks of sleepless nights) If he's with us he's perfect, if he's shut behind the babygate he's a screaming howling whining monster :lol: I've been giving Rescue Remedy but it hasn't stopped his distress. I've also been building up periods of seperation from us. I've noticed when we are out shopping, he's quiet and lies cuddling Bilbo, my springer. :blink:   You have my utmost sympathy, and if you find the solution, please post it here.

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2005, 12:16:46 PM »
I am beginning to wonder if there is one!!  :lol:

Both Sophie and Beau are fantastic at night - fall asleep in the crate within minutes, just give a big sigh, and off they go!!

The crate is in the hall so that they are not in direct contact with either me or Paul for several hours during the night - just to cut the ties even further!  

I am slowly moving the crate nearer the living room, so that eventually, I will get them both in a different room with a door between us at night too.....the jury is still out on that one!  ;)

I sprayed DAP all over Beau's crate bedding this morning before I left - so fingers crossed that at least one of them will be quieter!!  :P

Been looking at the Skullcap & Valerian online too - another good looking option to try out - have you given it a bash?
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2005, 01:49:02 PM »
Just got home and am currently listening to today's MP3 recording in tears

I think Beau is going to have to go back..........he has been the one that has barked for nearly the full 4hrs that I was out.  And it was him that started Sophie off.

The noise is deafening - my neighbours must be freaking out  :o

So much for the £17 DAP spray - Bl**dy waste of money!
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2005, 02:03:04 PM »
Aileen - I so feel for you, you must be so distraught - but sometimes these things take time to kick in and have the true effect.

Is he only barking when you are not in? If not then you could try the compressed air trick so as soon as he barks you squirt the air to distract him and then priase him lots when he's quiet.

Is there somewhere you could take Beau during the day to give Sophie some peace and quiet?
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline isla

• Site Member
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2005, 02:07:25 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about this. I've not posted earlier but its clear how excited you were about having Beau to stay. Its early days yet so he may just need a bit of time to settle in. Keeping finger and paws crossed that things get better.

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2005, 02:10:18 PM »
Yes, it is only when I am out that any of the two of them are remotely bothered!

The recording is so bad Pammy, my neighbour was out again by the time I got home at lunch - and now I can see why - I would have to go out if I lived above that!  :ph34r:

I could put them both into the doggy day care that I used to use for Sophie, but I don't know if that is the right thing to do?

I know for a fact that I can't leave them both in for another day - I will be getting reported for cruelty or something!  Cruely to my neighbours that is!  :unsure:

They are both asleep now - hooligans!

I feel really bad as my neighbours have been great for the last few months with Sophie's barking, and she is now only barking after about 2.5hrs of being in the house alone, instead of the 10 mins she was reaching at the beginning  :angry:
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2005, 02:29:24 PM »
So sorry to hear this.  Cant imagine how down you must feel at the moment.  Wished I lived nearer, so I could help.  :) Cant think of any advice, but Sophie has improved so Beau could too  ;)

Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2005, 02:37:43 PM »
I think the kindest thing to do all round is to let him go back to my friend to find him another good home.  It will kill me, but it seems to be the only solution.

I have had Sophie for nearly 8 months now and she is still struggling with not barking, so having to start again with an 8mth old who is intent on barking for the whole time I am out is just being unfair to all concerned, including the dogs.  :(

The more I think about it, the more it is upsetting me.  I don't really want to put them into day kennels as this is only to please me and my neighbours, and is not what is best for the dogs - and in the long run is only encouraging their barking as they can bark away quite merrily in the kennels without anyone batting an eyelid!

I cannot understand why I have been so unlucky, this is now my 3rd dog in a row with separation anxiety!

First there was my Lurcher Zara, then Sophie, now Beau is freaking out too!

Is it something I am doing, cos according to the MANY studies that I have read now, I am doing everything right from day one!  :unsure:
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2005, 02:46:37 PM »
Have you thought about trying an Aboistop collar? I have to use one for Dallas when I am out and its stopped the barking. Also, have you tried covering the crate? Maybe trick him into thinking its bedtime ;) Is leaving him out of the crate an option?

I know when my neighbours first told me Dallas was freaking out, I had to take him into work for the whole day for a few days, while I came up with a plan ;)  Maybe the doggy daycare could be a temporary thing just while you get things sorted?

Do you leave a tv or radio on for them? I have to do that when Vegas is in the house without me as he will just bark at the slightest noise :rolleyes:

I hope you can come up with a plan which means he can stay with you :(
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2005, 02:56:35 PM »
I have not thought of the collar, basically because I always thought they were cruel things for some reason!  I think it was because I used a muzzle with Zara my lurcher as she was very destructive, and it made her worse!  At that point though, I didn't know SA existed - it was a good few years ago now, and one of the reasons that I have not had a dog since!  Then I got Sophie and the same thing started - although she is not in the slightest destructive - just upsetting to listen to.    

Tried covering the crate with Sophie, didn't help as she got herself so worked up that she was puffing and panting like mad and I was scared that even though the front of the crate was open, she was going to overheat.  :(

I can't leave Beau out of the crate at the moment, he is still in the puppy stage & and is a wee devil, and he is not totally house trained yet (yes, I know he is 8mths, but he is learning fast!)

The thing about the doggy day care is that it is not that as such, it is merely a day kennels.  I would prefer if someone would spend some time with them, rather than just the exercise walk that they get.  I think putting them in there might make their barking worse?  Would they understand that when they are in the house they are not allowed to bark, when no-one chastises them for it in the kennels?  :unsure:  

I have always left the tv or radio on for Sophie - but as I said before, once the panic kicks in for her a jumbo jet could land in the living room and she would not veer off her "where is Mum" course - she would stay in panic mode until I returned.  :angry:

I am so confused as I feel that I have tried everything, but as far as the separation training goes - I can't seem to get past a certain stage, then the barking starts again!  And I do it every day!
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2005, 05:02:40 PM »
Oh Aileen, I really feel for you... :(  I can't even begin to imagine how had this dilemma is for you!!
Don't really have any advice, but am sending you a big hug :)

Petra

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2005, 05:35:28 PM »
Big hug received with thanks!  :lol:

I feel better now as I went up to see my neighbour and take her a bunch of flowers as I felt really embarrassed about the noise  :(

She looked totally shocked and said that she had not heard them (!!!!!!!!) God only knows how cos they really were making the most amazing howling/manic barking noise I have ever heard!

She said that if it was really bothering her, she would be down to speak to me about it (I know this is the case as she is not backwards in coming forwards if you know what I mean!!), but it had honestly not annoyed her at all.  But she had been out for most of the morning.............

I took them both out for a walk there and they are both fast asleep in the crate as if butter wouldn't melt!  :angry:  

Now I don't know what to do for the best!
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline isla

• Site Member
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2005, 05:36:37 PM »
Could Beau be worse because he is crated and Sophie isn't? He could just want to be close to her and play? Maybe a playpen for the two of them would help?

You should maybe speak to the neighbour (with large bottle of vino!). it may not be as bad as you think. Are you in a flat? I say that as you mentioned the person above you. I'm in a flat and Jem was horrific for weeks if you left her even to go to the shop for 10 mins. I asked our neighbours to listen out and no one heard anything which I was surprised at as one neighbour works shifts. The tenement walls were clearly blocking most of it out.

I really hope this works out for you.

Offline isla

• Site Member
Beau Is Here Too!
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2005, 05:37:21 PM »
Big hug received with thanks!  :lol:

I feel better now as I went up to see my neighbour and take her a bunch of flowers as I felt really embarrassed about the noise  :(

She looked totally shocked and said that she had not heard them (!!!!!!!!) God only knows how cos they really were making the most amazing howling/manic barking noise I have ever heard!

She said that if it was really bothering her, she would be down to speak to me about it (I know this is the case as she is not backwards in coming forwards if you know what I mean!!), but it had honestly not annoyed her at all.  But she had been out for most of the morning.............

I took them both out for a walk there and they are both fast asleep in the crate as if butter wouldn't melt!  :angry:   

Now I don't know what to do for the best!
[snapback]146965[/snapback]

Sorry you posted as I posted!!