Author Topic: laptop won't run on battery  (Read 1313 times)

Offline millview

• Site Member
  • Kenmiilfore kim (KIM) and holly
laptop won't run on battery
« on: March 02, 2006, 09:57:01 PM »
Hi can anyone help me.

It runs fine on AC power but it will  run from the battery. It runs on battery for about 3min then just  dies. laptop will  charge the batteries and it show's the battery at 98%.

help.

angeal

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: laptop won't run on battery
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 09:59:13 PM »
How old is it and how much has it been used? The batteries do die after a while and some don't last very long before they die :'(
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 10:07:03 PM »
I had this with my old PB laptop, it was a NIGHTMARE! I had to contact them and get them to send a new battery as it was still under warranty ( 6 months) but they had to send to Holland for the PB battery ( it too 3 weeks :o), that didn't fix it then I had to send for another battery incase the one they had sent was faulty ::) NOPE  ::) then I had to send my laptop away to be checked it was fine, then i had to send for another battery by which time i was sooooooo peed off i went and camped out at PCWORLD until they gave me a brand new laptop! After much arguing they did!!!!

Like Pammy says batteries do run out and have to be replaced, my reason really for sharing that story was just to let you know that if the lap top/battery is fairly new don't fall into the trap i did sending it away every five minutes it was a nightmare go and ask for a new one!!

Offline millview

• Site Member
  • Kenmiilfore kim (KIM) and holly
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 08:13:33 AM »
laptop is about 2 years old, but have not use it that much, have taken the battery out and will let it run down and then charge it again. I dont want to buy a new one till i find out if this one is dead.

angela

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 09:06:17 AM »
You didnt say what laptop youve got but the following page gives some good ideas, have a read through and try some...

Jim

http://ftp1.us.dell.com/diags/R66243.htm
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline stevewp

• Site Member
  • Bridget on a typically hard day !
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 03:28:56 AM »
Most people (myself included) have a tendancy to run their laptops on the mains most of the time. This will kill the battery sadly.

I bought mine secondhand, and the battery was already pretty much useless, so am just stuck with mains, but we make a point of using Hannah's one on the battery as much as possible, as we bought hers new.

You may have a fault with the laptop, but I suspect it's just that the battery is now an ex-battery (he says, in a Monty Python style!)
Have a look at Bridget's pictures here