Author Topic: Newbie - advice please  (Read 752 times)

Offline wendywoo

• Site Member
Newbie - advice please
« on: March 03, 2006, 07:29:48 PM »
Hi

I hope you don't mind me registering here to ask my question, I've posted on another site but while I was doing further research I came across this fab site.....

For some time now I've been mulling over whether it is now the right time for me to add a dog to the family. I have two daughters who are 5 and 7. We live in a 4 bed house with a reasonable sized garden.

Today whilst in the pet shop my eye fell on a notice from someone looking to rehome their dog. I called the number and had quite a chat with the lady...

Its a 8 month old unneutered, microchipped working cocker spaniel
Although she got him at 9 weeks from what she thought was a breeder it now looks like the dog is a product of a puppy farm, possibly in Ireland.
He is clean in the house and can be left with no problems. He travels in the car fine as well.
He's been ok with the ladys nieces aged 6, 10 and 13
He can be abit nippy when excited
Not had too much training but his recall is okay and will sit for a treat.
He gets on okay with other dogs, plays and stuff but does run away and hide if they bark at him
He does pick up bits left around on the floor and chew them up

She is rehomeing him because her work hours have changed and she is working nights and then sleeping (or trying to) during the day. She sounded very genuine and was clearly getting upset discussing rehomeing him. She wants to bring the dog to us and have a good look at our family and situation before she makes a decision. She has also offered for us to have a trial run and she would take him back if we found he wasn't for us.  She doesn't want any money for him, just a loving home.I can guarantee him a walk everyday, come rain or shine and would like to take up agility training.

I would really appreciate any input you can offer, good or bad. Some input from the head would help me as my heart is in danger of taking over!!

Thanks guys

Wendy

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Re: Newbie - advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 07:37:16 PM »
Sounds as though the dog will come from a very caring home.  I like the sound of the present owner if all she says is true.  If you've already weighed up the pros and cons of taking on a working cocker spaniel then I'd give the dog a trial run (although I think the trial will end up permenant).  It was very hard work for the first few months with my working cocker and he will be over the toilet training, teething and have the basic house manners (mine is still lacking in the manners bit) :lol:

There will be someone along to speak from the head - but I'm like you , I go with my heart  :D

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 07:44:21 PM »
Its certainly a plus point that she wants to vet your family and house before rehoming. As long as you are willing to carry on with his training and you have a rough idea what to expect with a working cocker, then I personally don't see any harm in taking him for a trial.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline wendywoo

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 07:48:08 PM »
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a breed profile?  When I searched on google all I came up with was puppies for sale!

Thanks

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 07:52:36 PM »
Try this web site http://www.felsteadgundogs.com/

Post edited to avoid possible infringement of copyright

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 08:04:32 PM »
Hi Wendy!

I agree with the other posts that this sounds like a fairly genuine rescue case; although its best to remain open minded, as some people will not be totally honest when it comes to their dogs  >:( Can you see the dog in his own home, for instance?  :-\  It may give you a better idea of how genuine this situation is  :-\

Sadly, a dog that has been puppy farmed is more at risk of health problems; hopefully  he is healthy now, but it is possible that he may have "hidden" genetic problems that might develop later in his life :( As long as you and your family are prepared for that if it happens, then he sounds like he will make a good family companion, imo :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 08:10:31 PM »
agree with rachel re puppy farm genetic problems - from what you've written it sounds just about standard for a teenage working cocker behaviour wise!

i'm with debbie on this one - we both adore our working cockers so am afraid it's another 'from the heart' post.
if you have the time and patience (won't mention love, because once you see him i know that bit will be a done deal) for a working cocker than you will have the most responsive, loving and loyal dog in your life.

you have to be consistent, you have to be firm, you have to have eyes in the back of your head but i wouldn't be without mine.

i was walking him with a friend today, and he said 'i defy anyone to be cross when he's around - his happiness is infectious'

...that sums up cockers in general... :luv:

(hate 'em really..... :005: :005: :005: >:D)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 10:13:49 PM »
I think this sounds genuine, but I agree that you should ask to meet the dog in it's present home to try to suss it all out a bit.

Hope you reach a good decision for you. If you do take this dog on, stay around on COL for lots of advice and fun.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 08:46:02 AM »
Normally I would stay stear clear of rehomes via adverts, but there's no money to be made for the person offering the dog for homing so I see no reason not to have trial session. If you do have a trial you must be aware that the dog may not show his true colours until a few days or sometimes weeks into his stay. It's good to see you have an avenue for his energy in agility (I compete in it with my dog), don't underestimate the work load though, you must be consistent with training or he'll run rings around you  ;).
Cayley.