Author Topic: Question - how can I improve his focus on me?  (Read 7254 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Re: Question - how can I improve his focus on me?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »
I was mortified though - he was like Kevin the teenager! :005: Monster dog! :luv:
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 04:47:04 PM »

I could be dressed as a gaint rabbit and I still don't think he would look at me!!!
[/quote]

:rofl1:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 05:28:18 PM »
Bella gets extremely excited doing agility and hates sitting and waiting at the start - she does this "hmmMMMPH" whine every time, you can see her thinking "oh come ON! let's GO!"  :lol: and it's taken me quite a while to get her to a point where she will actually stay where she is until I'm ready. Even then there are times where she creeps forward in little bounces until she's got her chest up against the first jump  ::).

I realised early on that she'd need to learn to wait properly at the start as she was hopeless initially, just soooo excited about jumping (she's one of the dogs that barks their head off all the way round  ::)) that she couldn't wait. Even now if I stop cos I've gone wrong, she'll carry on over 4 or 5 jumps and obstacles before stopping to see where I am  :lol:. Having said that though, she does pay really close attention when I'm running with her and the only time she makes a wrong turn is if I get it wrong.

Anyway I taught her to wait initially under fairly calm conditions, eg put her in a sit, tell her to wait while I walk away and then call her really excitedly. I tried to distinguish between a wait and a stay, so if I'm doing a stay then she'll sit, stay, I walk away and then I walk back to her, i.e. "stay" means "stay here until I come back". "Wait" on the otherhand is "wait here until I tell you what to do next". I started using the wait command before she got her food (she already had to sit before getting it, I then started making her wait while it was on the floor in front of her for a couple of seconds). I also do offlead heelwork in the house where at any point I'll tell her to wait and will keep walking, so she stands still while I keep going - she's now very reliable at this in the house. I then took her to the park and found something small she could jump over, and each morning took her up there with the Chuckitt so she was quite excited, and got her to sit and wait by the jump, then threw the ball so that she had to go over the jump to get it. That seemed to be the clincher for her as after a week of doing that, she was much, much better at the start of the agility course.

In terms of focussing I've found with Bella although she naturally focusses very well, she works better if I've got her a bit excited, so on days when she's not got quite as much "go", I might need to do a bit of "come on, are you ready Bella? are you ready?" in a really excited voice to get her going. I usually show her a piece of sausage at the start of the course and she definitely knows that's what she's working for because literally the instant she lands over the last jump, she's in front of me staring at my pocket  :lol:.

I think if you can get Molo to be really excited about agility then he'll have no problems focussing - I thought Bella would do the stopping and sniffing but she never has, once she's running she's completely into it and will even keep going if I stop, eg if she's missed a contact, I stop and she'll carry on over 3 jumps and the A frame (she has an amazing memory for the order of obstacles from the last round as well!). She seems to absolutely love it and she listens and watches very carefully. She does really pick up on my mood when I'm there though so if for some reason I'm not really that into it, she won't be either and she then won't pay as close attention and makes mistakes (as do I), so I think that's a major thing, you have to be as excited as you want them to be so that you're both really tuned into each other and this amazingly fun thing you're about to do together.  :luv:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 09:33:04 PM »
WooHoo!

Thank you so much for all your suggestions, they made such a HUGE difference  :D :D

I worked really hard with Molo all week - making him wait at the back door to go out and come in, loads of waits and off-lead heelwork on walks and then I bit the bullet when we got to class this week and let him off lead  :D

He was amazing He seemed to instinctively know what I wanted from him, and although he lost focus once or twice, it was no more so than many of the other ABC dogs (see, I'm learning all the terms  :005:;) He happily completed a run with the promise a reward at the end - although he got a whole handful of sausage pieces when he performed a perfect weave on only his third attempt   :D

He is no longer "the class beginner", although I certainly am  ph34r -  I really need to learn how to turn properly before next week  ph34r ph34r

I was so chuffed when Kathy complimented us on the work we had obviously put in during the week........ ;)

Thank you again, everyone  :D :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 09:40:37 PM »
  I really need to learn how to turn properly before next week  ph34r ph34r

that takes agggges  :lol:

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 10:34:27 PM »
WooHoo!

Thank you so much for all your suggestions, they made such a HUGE difference  :D :D

I worked really hard with Molo all week - making him wait at the back door to go out and come in, loads of waits and off-lead heelwork on walks and then I bit the bullet when we got to class this week and let him off lead  :D

He was amazing He seemed to instinctively know what I wanted from him, and although he lost focus once or twice, it was no more so than many of the other ABC dogs (see, I'm learning all the terms  :005:;) He happily completed a run with the promise a reward at the end - although he got a whole handful of sausage pieces when he performed a perfect weave on only his third attempt   :D

He is no longer "the class beginner", although I certainly am  ph34r -  I really need to learn how to turn properly before next week  ph34r ph34r

I was so chuffed when Kathy complimented us on the work we had obviously put in during the week........ ;)

Thank you again, everyone  :D :D

Yay  :D.

I think he's found what he's good at, sooner or later you'll be waking up at 5am to go to shows  ;).
Cayley.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 10:40:37 PM »

Yay  :D.

I think he's found what he's good at, sooner or later you'll be waking up at 5am to go to shows  ;).

Not sure about that - the cost of the ferry in addition to petrol makes it a VERY expensive hobby, especially in the summer  ph34r

I would love to learn enough to do some displays at the local summer shows, though.... ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 08:27:39 AM »
WooHoo!

Congratulations --- I'm the big let down with my two ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 01:14:24 PM »
WooHoo!

Yeay!  I am so pleased that all your hard work paid off.  Molo clearly is a very smart boy to learn so quickly.  Hope things continue to go well for you both.  Do you have obstacle courses at your local shows?  Occassionally we do...clear round type ones, especially when there has been an agility display at the event.