Author Topic: A "trick" question - about teaching roll-over  (Read 6143 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
A "trick" question - about teaching roll-over
« on: December 06, 2006, 10:16:21 PM »
Has anyone successfully taught their dog to "roll over" (other than you, Cheryl  ;))?

It was our homework from clicker/obedience class last week - and Molo and I failed miserably :(, so would appreciate any suggestions on different approaches .....we will not be beaten, we just need to find a method that suits us both  ;)

Thanx  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: A "trick" question - about teaching roll-over
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 10:25:58 PM »
I taught sasha to roll over by getting her to lay down and gently rolling her over. saying rollover. she soon got it and now rolls over everytime I have a treat in my hand, I don't have to ask. she will give me high five and ten and then roll over, all at once. another way isto lie them down and with atreat in front of their nose do a circling movement with your hand. they roll over as they follow the treat, it is best if they are on their side.  hope this makes sense good luck keep practicing
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 10:37:43 PM »
 :lol2:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 10:40:37 PM »
she soon got it and now rolls over everytime I have a treat in my hand, I don't have to ask. she will give me high five and ten and then roll over, all at once.
:lol: :lol:
Betty does this too, when she knows i've got a treat. She does a full routine like shes on auto pilot!
First she sits, then throws her left paw at me then her right, then lies then does a double rollover, all in about 3 seconds :lol:
Anyway.....I taught her by putting her in a down then I got a treat, put it close to her nose, then circled it up and round over her head. Their nose follows it, keep saying down if they go to move, and when you get half way they kinda tip over a bit, then you slowly encourage them onto their back, and then just carry on holding the treat close to their nose,right round.Just practice loads, and start saying roll over as he does it
Does that make sense? Im trying to picture how I did it, maybe not explaining too well ::)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 10:43:30 PM »
I have done it with 2 of mine (Willow thinks is a conspiracy and seizes up), with them I used a clicker and treat or target and clicked progressive movements, but I made sure they knew the flat command and then worked out which way they would roll easier (most dogs find one side easier than the other), and then clicked progressive movements towards the treat or target until they went right over for a jackpot, now both are happy to drop and roll over from a distance.
Its a patience thing, don't rush it

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 12:19:30 AM »
I'm doing this with Tilly atm with the clicker and target and she's doing really well. Alfie already does it and I taught him the same way, just like Freya has described. It was in one of my clicker books and I followed the instructions from there. Basically you get them into a 'down' then progressively move the target back over them until they naturally 'tip over'. Tilly's at this stage so now I'm working on getting her right over and to hold it  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 09:55:32 AM »
Yep I've got another roller over - but only Phoebe. Libby just can't get the hang of it. Even with a tasty morsel in the offing! But Phoebe has got her routine too - when she's really excited she's goes straight to the roll over!
Anita

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 11:37:29 AM »
I taught Storm the same way Danni n Betty suggested.  She already knew 'flat' laying on her side, and from there I put the treat towards on her nose, and then lifted it towards her shoulder (to get her head up and across).  I then moved it further to get her to lift her body a bit more each time.  She will do the full move now following a treat, but I never bothered teach her it without the treat and me standing yet  ph34r 

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 12:10:03 PM »

I used the Danni n Betty method too - Jimmy got it straight away, Misty used to get stuck half way at first and just wriggle on her back.  :lol:

This site has some tricks/commands with little video clips - it's aimed at kids so the instructions etc are quite basic - but it might be worth a look for other things to teach Molo.

http://www.loveyourdog.com/tricks2.html#rollover

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 12:37:10 PM »

I used the Danni n Betty method too - Jimmy got it straight away, Misty used to get stuck half way at first and just wriggle on her back.  :lol:

This site has some tricks/commands with little video clips - it's aimed at kids so the instructions etc are quite basic - but it might be worth a look for other things to teach Molo.

Excellent site, Colin thanks - lil'bit has started to come to clicker training with me, so these are ideal for her as well as me  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *Sarah*

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 01:03:29 PM »
she soon got it and now rolls over everytime I have a treat in my hand, I don't have to ask. she will give me high five and ten and then roll over, all at once.
:lol: :lol:
Betty does this too, when she knows i've got a treat. She does a full routine like shes on auto pilot!
First she sits, then throws her left paw at me then her right, then lies then does a double rollover, all in about 3 seconds :lol:
Anyway.....I taught her by putting her in a down then I got a treat, put it close to her nose, then circled it up and round over her head. Their nose follows it, keep saying down if they go to move, and when you get half way they kinda tip over a bit, then you slowly encourage them onto their back, and then just carry on holding the treat close to their nose,right round.Just practice loads, and start saying roll over as he does it
Does that make sense? Im trying to picture how I did it, maybe not explaining too well ::)

Briar does that too! Shes done sit, paw, other paw, lie down, rollover, (squeaked a bit) done it all again, before I have even asked her to do anything! :005: Sometimes I get her to do it all in the opposite order so she doesn't know what comes next.

I taught her to rollover by getting her to lie down and then gently rolling her over and getting her to follow the treat with her nose, just keep doing it over and over, they soon get the idea. :blink:

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 01:15:44 PM »
Hi There

Rolloover was easy for both Saffi and Jessie especially when we had high value treats like sausage in our hands.

Started like Danni n Bettey did and now we just say DOWN and Saffi rollsover before you say it (we are working on this) and Jessie waits till you say RO... then she spins back to he feet to get the treat!!

Cheers

Jane

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 01:18:32 PM »

Something to work on over Christmas then.  Max spends most of his time on his back with a smile on his face frantically wagging his tail - he loves his tickle tum time  ::)  :005:  I just need to get him to completely roll over then.

I've been attempting to get him to bow, thinking that it may help to stop the jumping up when we have visitors.  Biggest hurdle is getting him to stand!!! Yes I know, it should be easy but he follows my hand & treat with his bum near the ground & then just sits  ::)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 04:03:32 PM »
Max spends most of his time on his back with a smile on his face frantically wagging his tail - he loves his tickle tum time  ::)  :005:  I just need to get him to completely roll over then.

:lol: Sounds just like Misty. She did get how to do 'roll-over' eventually but if she hadn't done I was going to change the command to 'do the dying fly' as effectively that's what she was doing. You could always say 'tickle tum' to Max every time he does this and he may learn to do it on command, it would be an impresssive trick.  :shades:

Putting commands to little things they do can be a good way to teach tricks. Jimmy used to spin round in circles on his hind legs - so each time he did it I'd say 'dance' and reward him, now he will do it to order. Stevie has a habit of jumping up onto my lap - so each time she does it I'm saying 'on my lap'. She will do it on command now - I just need to try and teach her to do it only on command. It's not so cute having a little Cocker come bounding up onto your lap when you have a full cup of coffee in your hand, as a friend found out the other week.  ph34r :lol:

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 04:11:12 PM »
Max spends most of his time on his back with a smile on his face frantically wagging his tail - he loves his tickle tum time  ::)  :005:  I just need to get him to completely roll over then.

:lol: Sounds just like Misty. She did get how to do 'roll-over' eventually but if she hadn't done I was going to change the command to 'do the dying fly' as effectively that's what she was doing. You could always say 'tickle tum' to Max every time he does this and he may learn to do it on command, it would be an impresssive trick.  :shades:

Putting commands to little things they do can be a good way to teach tricks. Jimmy used to spin round in circles on his hind legs - so each time he did it I'd say 'dance' and reward him, now he will do it to order. Stevie has a habit of jumping up onto my lap - so each time she does it I'm saying 'on my lap'. She will do it on command now - I just need to try and teach her to do it only on command. It's not so cute having a little Cocker come bounding up onto your lap when you have a full cup of coffee in your hand, as a friend found out the other week.  ph34r :lol:

I think I'll teach Max to spin (offiiciallly) then, as he does a lovely dance round & round when it's dinner time - and if I ignore him he moans a lovely tune too.  :005:

I do say tickle tum & he rolls over - infact I only have to put my hand in the air wriggling my fingers & he's on his back.  ::)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry