Author Topic: cant get stay!?  (Read 5579 times)

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
Re: cant get stay!?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 08:16:45 AM »
yay after putting some of your suggestions into practice we nearly have it. We spent ages on this last night and he did really well compared to other times (certainley not perfect but nearly there) I have found the high reward treat of chicken to be a perfect for this we have just come back from a cold and frosty early walk so when he wakes up (and gets out of his huff for me dragging him out in the cold) we will try again and see how it goes. Thank you all  :D

Offline PennyB

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 08:44:57 AM »
I practised this one on the park with my two (at different times of course) one summer --- at one point Ruby had swallows swooping very low round her head and eventually she would sit without moving while they did this --- was a sight for sore eyes to see her do it under such distractions. Of all the commands I've found this one the most useful --- house is openplan and I use it to stop my two getting under my feet in the kitchen.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 11:28:24 AM »
What are people's thoughts on training just the sit command. I train my dog to sit. That's it. Sit means sit until I give you a command.

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 11:38:57 AM »
thats what we are aiming for but its gonna take a while :005:
We are still trying to get him to stop jumping about when he sees his lead  ::) or crying when he cant get in the kitchen (where his food and treats are kept)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 11:58:28 AM »
What are people's thoughts on training just the sit command. I train my dog to sit. That's it. Sit means sit until I give you a command.

I expect Molo to stay in a sit until I release him, but that is when I am with him - if I move away from him, then I will give him an additional "wait" command, which to us means "stay where you are but continue to give me your attention as I will be giving you further commands;)

I am working on a "stay" commmand which will mean, "stay where you are, but relax until I come back"
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 11:59:27 AM »

At training I went along with all the different commands we were taught there but since leaving have found that 'sit' or 'sit and wait' pretty much covers it for what I want my dogs to do - so that's all I tend to use too.

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 03:52:01 PM »
After a bit of intensive practice Loki actually did stay properly yesterday, we had a few guests at my nanas and he was getting a bit hyper and wouldnt leave my cousin alone ( he loves dogs so it asnt really a problem as such) I had to go to the loo so I got him to sit and said stay, he was still in the same spot when I came back from the loo  :D ! I was so proud and he got a big hug and a couple of treats for it  :luv:

Offline sashal

• Site Member
    • http://www.sashal.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 05:58:30 PM »

I agree mine are all trained to the sit command and that is it. Sit were they are left until released no matter whether I am with them or not.

Its just something I have always done with the GWPs so the Cockers are done the same.

Alex
Sashal GWPs & Cocker Spaniels
www.sashal.co.uk