Author Topic: Docking issue  (Read 6837 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Docking issue
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
Are you sure there isn't anything else bothering you Louise? I can't imagine someone thinking about returning a much loved puppy to the breeder because of a few ignorant comments from other people. Nobody has the right to make you feel bad about owning a legally docked dog, whatever their personal beliefs about docking. Remind yourself that you have a happy, healthy Cocker and be proud of him :D
Jane

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 03:54:05 PM »
I have a friend with three cockers, one is docked, and the other two aren't. She takes the younger undocked two out together and the older one out separately.
When the undocked ones go out you get the 'Oh... why aren't they docked? Are they purebred cockers?' and if you take the docked one out you get 'I thought docking was illegal? do you know that?' (Not until April.)   

So.. either way, you can't win!!  ph34r :005:
Enjoy your pup and try to harden up to their comments, agreed fully with that suggestion. Many people say without thinking.

He is absolutely gorgeous and your opinion of him is what will matter most, the others are all outsiders. People here at COL seem to be smitten with him as well.  :luv:

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 04:03:13 PM »
my dogs breeders last litter of working spaniels going to working homes was not docked as the vet here and in ross shire refused point blank to do it. at the end of the day its the vets decision not yours so dont stress. just  enjoy the pup.. :luv:

Offline beth@dallas

• Site Member
  • Beth on her first day at her new home!
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 04:08:54 PM »
Beth is docked, which I don't mind at all.  The cocker I grew up with was docked also, which probably has given me my easy-osy attitude towards it.  Whether your pups tail is docked or not, it doesn't affect their character.....relax and enjoy your dog and ignore what people say J

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 04:20:31 PM »
I think you have to develop a thicker skin when you own a dog - some people can be really blunt  ::)

When I picked up our last dog (a GSD x) from the rescue centre - I walked her the 3 miles home, and met a colleague who immediately asked if she was my "beast of Bodmin"  or was I walking her for a friend :o I was really upset by her comment - I thought Sheba was gorgeous and couldn't understand why anyone would think she was "beast-like" :(

Nowadays, it is not unusual for dog owners to be targeted by people who dislike dogs, and who think that dogs are dirty/smelly/aggressive etc - and some of these (imo deluded) people will confront dog owners on the street  ::)  Fellow dog owners have also been known to confront people because of their dogs. Some people who have rescue dogs are given grief for taking on a problem dog, and some people who have pedigrees are criticised for not taking on a rescue  :-\

I guess what I am saying is that you are not alone, but if you are finding it hard to deal with peoples comments about your pups tail, then you may want to develop some coping mechanisms to help handle it   ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 04:24:30 PM »
Are you sure there isn't anything else bothering you Louise? I can't imagine someone thinking about returning a much loved puppy to the breeder because of a few ignorant comments from other people. Nobody has the right to make you feel bad about owning a legally docked dog, whatever their personal beliefs about docking. Remind yourself that you have a happy, healthy Cocker and be proud of him :D

My thoughts exactly.  I'm amazed that the thought of returning him has gone through your mind :o  You have a happy, healthy puppy that you love very much and as Jane says, you should be proud of that.

I'm also amazed by reactions you are getting.  My Lottie is a docked cocker and in 4 years I have had her I've never had one comment about her tail :-\
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 04:24:58 PM »
How about arming yourself with a few facts?  ;)

www.cdb.org
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 04:31:25 PM »
I think you have to develop a thicker skin when you own a dog - some people can be really blunt  ::)

When I picked up our last dog (a GSD x) from the rescue centre - I walked her the 3 miles home, and met a colleague who immediately asked if she was my "beast of Bodmin"  or was I walking her for a friend :o I was really upset by her comment - I thought Sheba was gorgeous and couldn't understand why anyone would think she was "beast-like" :(

I used to walk a neighbour's dog when I was about 14 years old. That particular time, she came with me to see my grand-parents. My godmother was also there and said to me that this was the ugliest dog that she had ever seen.... I was really upset and annoyed about this comment... so much so, that I didn't invite her for my wedding 10 years later...  :005:  ::)  She shouldn't have said that... and I would do it all over again!  :D  I can handle people insulting me, and I can handle ignorant comments about my dogs (which is what the mentioned comments about docking are)... but I cannot handle people insulting my dogs!  >:D
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 05:06:18 PM »
I have one docked, the other full tail (the eldest), we are more likely to have comments of Louies Waggy bum, it seems more pronounced without the tail somehow.  Both were done before we knew of their existence and love them both for what they are - I don't even think about tail other than when I'm breaking twigs out of Jaspers flag.

I suppose I'm lucky that many of the people I see with spaniels and gamekeeper types who's own dogs are often retired and very much docked, so that's more the norm. 

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »
How about arming yourself with a few facts?  ;)

www.cdb.org

lets not get into a docking debate, there are as many websites with anti-docking 'facts'  as there are pro-docking ;)

i think mary and jane have picked up on a good point.  I skipped over the 'returning the pup' comment but is there something else wrong Louise?  Don't let peoples ignorance phase you about your beautiful pup....
helen & jarvis x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 05:13:38 PM »
How about arming yourself with a few facts?  ;)

www.cdb.org

lets not get into a docking debate, there are as many websites with anti-docking 'facts'  as there are pro-docking ;)

I agree Helen, well said ;)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 05:14:55 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  I'm amazed that the thought of returning him has gone through your mind :o  You have a happy, healthy puppy that you love very much and as Jane says, you should be proud of that.

I'm also amazed by reactions you are getting.  My Lottie is a docked cocker and in 4 years I have had her I've never had one comment about her tail :-\

Ditto  :o :o is there some other problem we can help with  :D

My two are docked  :D and no one has ever said a word, and if they did.....................I'd tell them to button it  >:( :lol: I mean its hardly any of there buisness!! >:(

Ignore people!!!! If they havent got anything constructive to say they shouldnt say anything at all!!!!!

Offline Lou1

• Site Member
  • Bailey 10 weeks old
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 05:19:57 PM »
Thank you everyone for your comments, you have really helped and put my mind at rest. Thank god for COL! You are right, I am silly for thinking of returning him back to the breeder, I was in tears at the thought of having to do that.  It's just that everywhere I go I see cockers and cocker puppies with full tails in my area so to me, it really feels as if I have done something wrong.

I absolutely adore my dog and I was completely unaware of docking until I got him home and took him out and realised that most cockers now do actually have full tails (where I live anyway).  I guess that also because it is being made illegal in April, it feels even worse as if it is really a bad practice which is why it's being made illegal  :-\

I would say though, if I knew a few months ago what I do now about docking, I would have looked for an undocked puppy as it is only now that I realise they 'should' have full tails as that's what they were born with and as mine is just a pet there is no reason for him to have his tail docked.  I can understand docking in certain circumstances though.

However, I love my Bailey to bits and I am very proud of him :luv:. It's certainly not any fault of his and his tail is constantly wagging like crazy so he's not bothered about it  :D.  I will know what to say to people next time they want to comment on it. Just out of interest, does anybody know the situation with showing docked and undocked dogs after April? Will both types be allowed to be shown or will docked dogs eventually be banned from being shown?

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 05:25:10 PM »
Glad your feeling better about the situatuion :D

One of the show ladies will be able to answer your question about showing docked and undocked, i'm sure its not a problem either way, but will leave it up to the professionals to answer for you ;)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 05:39:14 PM »
Just out of interest, does anybody know the situation with showing docked and undocked dogs after April? Will both types be allowed to be shown or will docked dogs eventually be banned from being shown?

Glad you're feeling better :D To answer your question about showing, dogs docked before April 6th 2007 will be allowed to be shown as normal - it's only dogs docked after that date which will not be allowed to be shown at events where the public pay for admittance. However the docking regulations have yet to be finalised so there may or may not be changes to this.
Jane