Author Topic: All Of My Months Of Hardwork Undone In 5 Minutes!  (Read 4034 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: All Of My Months Of Hardwork Undone In 5 Minutes!
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 10:32:46 AM »
Rachel - I'm only planning on avoiding dogs tomorrow. My trainer says (and I know you agree) that when a dog has been frightened/anxious it can take 48 hours for them to return to a calm state. So I thought if I made sure Casper had a relaxing day tomorrow, we could hopefully start afresh on Tuesday.  :D Unfortunately, the people I usually walk with have abandoned the fields at the minute as they are so muddy, so I don't know any good stooge dogs that I can walk with.  :-\

I thought you probably were - but thought I'd add it just in case any *guests* reading thought it might be a solution to the problem ;)

Fancy your usual companions not walking in the mud; why ever not ??

I know loads who are like this as they won't wear wellies or other suitable footwear, or want to get their dogs dirty ::)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 12:04:59 PM »
Oh dear I do feel sorry for you, all that hard work.
I'm sorry but some dog owners do my head in, do you think there should be an obedience class for prospective owners to attend before they purchase a dog, now that would be funny :005:
Then we would find the caring responsible people that understand dogs.

We have a man that walks two rotie's on our local park, neither on the lead and he openly tell you one is a biter, what good is that to anyone. >:D we are selective about our walking times, to miss him..

I don't see that you were in the wrong, she had the unleashed, obviously uncontrollable pack.

Kim

Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 12:13:33 PM »
Rhona, i so know how you feel about getting to a stage with a nervous dog and then blowing it.
I wouldn't be to hard on yourself.
With me it was all my fault, I took on Douglas my chocolate boy and it became apparrent that he had never lived in a town before and was wary of  traffic,strange dogs, hoovers, lawn mowers etc
I have had to work on each problem seperately and with good results but with other dogs I had got him soooo sorted and I pushed him that bit to far and he got luinged at by a belgian sheppard and it was back to square 1.
I don't blame the other dog or owner I blame myself for putting him in a position where things could go wrong.
We are getting there again with him but this incident was last June and he is still not back to where he was.
I do not pressure him to perform and we choose our doggie encounters with care.
It so focusses you on what is going on around you as an owner of a nervous reactive dog.
I would love to more with Doug but I recognise his limitations and whether it be it down to his experiences as a pup or his genetic makeup I do not think I will ever get him to be the life and soul of the doggie party and I accept that now.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 12:35:57 PM »
Hi Rhona

You were definitely definitely not in the wrong and certainly not being nuerotic. It must be so frustrating having done so much work and it all being undone because of someone else's ignorance to your situation.

Hopefully if you leave Casper to chill at home for a week it may do him the world of good. He's lucky to have such a dedicated owner!!

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 01:12:05 PM »
I think you were very polite only telling her to go forth and multiply. So sorry this has happened to that gorgeous little sorry big squidge monster. Don't let it get you down and think of the positives he has a great mum who puts his welfare before everything else and he will get there. If you need a few stooges just give me the nod and I will bring George along, i'm sure amanda and her srummy boys would come too.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 01:36:50 PM »
Hiya everyone. Thanks for all your kind words and support over the last few days.  :luv:

We returned to the scene of the crime today.  ph34r I drove over this time so that if Casper became stressed he wouldn't have to face the ordeal of walking home.  :embarassed: When we got to the car park, we saw a GSD and Casper immediately began to bark. So we waited for that dog to be out of sight before we got out of the car. We set off across the field and saw a lady with a springer. Casper was absolutely fine with him.  :D They didn't play together as Tigger was far more interested in chasing his ball than in Casper.  :005: But they managed to walk round together, chasing the tennis balls. Then we were joined by a lab. who Casper was very friendly with.  :embarassed: (Decided to help him clean himself if you get my drift!  ph34r ) He even jumped up Monty's (the lab's) owner!  :o Which I know is extremely bad manners, but he has never gone anywhere near a stranger before.  :o   
We saw about another 10 dogs whilst we were there and Casper didn't bark once.  :angel: Probably because his mouth was always full of tuna bread being dispensed from the 'food bar'!  :005:   
So I'm really happy today and hopeful that it was only a temporary set back and not that we are right back at the beginning.  :D

Incidently, Tigger's owner says that he has also been set upon by one of the springers I had the misfortune to meet on Saturday.  >:( 

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 01:39:57 PM »
That's great news that today went so well Rhona.  :D

Sounds like the springer's owner needs a bit of training!!  >:(
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 03:10:59 PM »
Sorry, I read your thread and got interrupted before I could post a reply.

I agree with everyone else about the stupid woman, and I do hope that you can get Casper to relax again.

So frustrating when you are doing your very best for your dog and one ignoramus comes along, wrecks all your hard work and then rubbishes your efforts too!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2007, 05:44:17 PM »
Rhona, I am thrilled for you, I hope Casper continues in this way and enjoys being out and about. Big well done you & Casper :clapping:

Incidently, Tigger's owner says that he has also been set upon by one of the springers I had the misfortune to meet on Saturday.  >:( 

I think it might be worth ringing the dog warden being as Casper's incident wasn't a 'one off'. This idiot of a woman should not be allowed to carry on terrorising the neighbourhood with her dogs  >:(