Author Topic: How to start agility  (Read 1134 times)

Cazzie

How to start agility
« on: April 29, 2007, 10:57:48 AM »
This is something that brings a tear to my eye  :'(   when I watch. I love to see the dogs enjoying themselves.

I would love to start doing agility but would like some advice about knowing if you're dog would be good enough to do it?

Also if anyone knows of a good club in Perthshire?

Thanks

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Re: How to start agility
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 12:44:28 PM »
who cares if the dog is actually good enough to compete, you may as well give it a go.
Perthshire, hmmm, Fair City is based in Perth, its their show in a few weeks, if you are free you could come and meet me as I will have both my boys and then you would see what its all about  :D

just checked, sat the 12th of May, PM me if you want to meet up, you can't bring your own dog though as its only for entered dogs

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:04:29 PM »
My thoughts were as Max loves to jump over blown down tree stumps etc so we'd give it a go, OK we've only had 4 lessons but he loves it, it seems so natural for the dogs, it's a shame the same can't be said for their owners  :005:

Hope you find somewhere & enjoy it.

Sorry no idea about your area but this site might help you

http://www.agilitynet.co.uk/activepages/clubsv2_ed.asp

Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 05:29:34 PM »
I think the only way to know is to try it! I've been taking Bella for just over a year now and she absolutely loves it, barks her head off the whole way round with excitement and her tail never stops wagging.  :luv:

When you first start there may be certain things your dog is a bit scared of doing - usually it seems to be the climbing obstacles, Bella was petrified on the A-frame to start with but fine with the dog walk, and she is still fairly dodgy on the seesaw but is a very brave girl and will go over it at a nice, steady pace.

It takes a good few weeks to teach them what to do, how to jump 3 or 4 jumps in a row, which sounds so easy but they often jump the first one then run around the rest to get to you, how to go through tunnels etc etc. You then hit a wall when the dog knows what to do and it's YOU having to do all the catching up learning directions, remembering the course routes etc.

I love it though, and I haven't entered any competitions yet but I just love running around with Bella and seeing her absolutely having the time of her life!  :luv:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk