Author Topic: cockers in obedience  (Read 1868 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
cockers in obedience
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:40:59 AM »
After a great discussion with my obed instructor Mon night, regarding cocker's he stated, well thats why if your really into obed get a border collie or golden retriever :o :o as the number of cocker's in UD well maybe one or two. I wondered if it really comes down to the number of each breed if they are in the top ten most popular then of course there will be more. Knowing that they are very popular in the UK how do they rate in obed comps are they up there with the border collies and golden retrievers if not what are the breeds that dominate obed.
P.S.
If it takes till we are both extremely old we are sticking to it cockers are best it just makes me more determined Kody is doing really well he is only 18 months and trialling well, Indi ( 2 1/2) still has problems with the stand for exam but everything else she gets top marks for heel work 22out of 30 recall looses 2 points for a crooked sit and stays full marks
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
Re: cockers in obedience
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:28:52 PM »
I've had several encounters with trainers who have an "attitude" about cockers doing Obedience! (Or even just an "attitude" about cockers in general!  >:D)
Here in Biel/Bienne, Switzerland the most popular breeds for Obedience, at present, seem to be Belgian shepherd (short-haired), German shepherd and collie. There's also a Nova Scotia retriever who has won quite a few competitions.
Byron and I attended a two evening/week Obedience course at our local club this past year for about nine months. (Why we stopped training is a whole other can of worms for another thread.)
There are several breeds that seem to excel in this discipline however, I firmly believe that any dog of any breed can be successful at Obedience. It all depends on the dog, owner and their relationship - the team.
Now hopefully someone in the UK can fill you in on the situation there.

P.S. Bravo to you and your cockers for persevering in spite of biased spectators. Best of luck to you! :D
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 02:17:50 PM »
Ozzy is the smartest pup I have known in a long while, and all the other cockers I know are the same.

I have goldens and they are very intelligent dogs, I admit, but Bonnie used to train alongside two 8 year old cockers who have passed Bronze, Silver and Gold Good Citizen tests, and they have been brilliant from a young age. She doesn't need to go training anymore but they're still in JJ's class just for the fun of it.

But each and every dog is different, don't let him tell you differently.  ;)

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 02:56:59 PM »
if your really into obed get a border collie or golden retriever :o :o

Arghhhh.

Any dog and I  do mean any dog, if you put the work and time and effort in can be good at obedience.  Where is this man, let me at him.  That so infuriates me.  Yes I agree there are more collies in obedienece than anything else and they do have an aptitude for it.  They are also the ones whose owners put in the most effort but don't rule us cockers out yet.  Our obedience class has a bermese mountain dog and a rottie, both of whom put the goldies to shame.

Keep on with your cocker spangles and make them eat their words!

Ok, off my soap box now!
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 03:04:17 PM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 01:53:30 AM »
Thanks :shades: needed pep talk, will post again next time to vent anger >:D guess what breed he has those dam border collies, excel in everything at agility,flyball, obed at least they are not in the gun dog trials :lol: It takes people/owners with character, why take the easy way we want a challenge then its worth the title :lol: :lol:
On a serious note it just seems everything I want to do I'm told cockers are to small for field work here in Australia, and a few make it in agility problems with nose stuck to ground or in my case owner not co ordinated and in the wrong spot, flyball we are going quite well at but a little to big to be the height dog and fast but not as fast as the borders. The club I'm with just won in Qld with the fastest time 17. something seconds,  Norwest thunderdogs, we are still learning and Kody is about to start next week, its the nosiest sport they all bark none stop and are so hyped up just the thing for my two they even look like over trained well behaved dogs :005: :005: compared to all the others.
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 03:18:20 PM »
It takes people/owners with character, why take the easy way we want a challenge then its worth the title :lol: :lol:

I agree! No offense to owners of Goldens, Border Collies, Australian Shepherds--the popular obedience breeds here--but to me there isn't much challenge in training them as they are very suited to competition obedience and happy to do the same thing over and over.  ::)

There is a Pekingese here with a UD--now  theres a dog trainer!  :lol:

[/quote]

On a serious note it just seems everything I want to do I'm told cockers are to small for field work here in Australia,

Don't really know what you have for terrain or game there, but that seems to me a rather ill informed statement. Cockers definately have a niche in hunting or they wouldn't exist! Their traditional use is for heavy cover where the big dogs, springers and larger, can't get in.

Have you contacted these people yet?  Obviously there are Spaniel people hunting in Australia, they are having spaniel trials in August. It may be mostly Springers but I think you'll find them more able to help and understand spaniel style than the pointer, setter or retriever people

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~gundog/sub_pages/club_events.html
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 10:01:19 PM »
Hmmm...well...in the UK our obedience tests are a little different to those in the US.

Our pre-beginner test has heelwork on and off lead, novice recall, a 1-minute sit and a 2-minute down.
Beginners is the same, except there is also a retrieve exercise, and novice the same as beginners, but a temperament test is included.

Test 'A' has only one lot of heelwork (off lead), retrieve, an 'A' recall...i.e. calling the dog into heel, a scent discrimination test (on cloths laid in a straight line, one cloth of 6 holds the handlers scent), and a 2 minute sit (in sight)and 3-minute down stay (out of sight).  You are also not able to give any extra commands or signals to your dog during the test from class A upwards.

As far as I am aware (please someone correct me if I am wrong) there is currently a cocker spaniel that has won out of beginners in its own right.  That cocker has also been placed in novice and test 'A'.  I can also name 3 cockers that have won out of pre-beginners, two of which I know have had places in beginners, and there are also a number of others working the pre-beginner class.  I am unsure what level any cockers in obedience attained in past years as I have not been involved in obedience for very long (but I heard someone mention one in B around 30 years ago!

I work a cocker in obedience.  I do find that some judges like her, and some dont.  On a good day, with a nice round, and the right judge she can be placed.  However, I do not feel she would be able to cope with test B or C (not that we will ever win through to those classes). 

I agree that if you want an obedience champion you need to look for a very special dog.  Ticket dogs (in my opinion) need to have oodles of energy/stamina, a massive concentration span, and stacks of drive.  I just feel the cocker lacks in the concentration department when it comes to 6-8 minutes of heelwork with no reward (verbal praise, play or food).  But I would love a cocker to prove me wrong on that :)   I also find it is really difficult for small dogs to maintain the tight heelwork position that is so desirable in UK obedience tests.  Much as she tries, my cocker will never be able to bend herself into the same heelwork position that my collie can.  She is also much more affected by leg movement, particularly during fast pace heelwork, and if the ground is uneven she is knocked off my leg much more easily than a larger dog would be.   Those are the main two reasons why I feel cockers are not ideally suited to the higher obedience classes.

However, I enjoy training and working my cocker.  I am very proud of all she has achieved, and I enjoy the social side of obedience.  If she is happy in the ring, then I am happy.  If she manages to get placed that is a lovely bonus!  It did take a long time for me to get her attention in the ring for any length of time...and yes...it was often her nose that drew her to something more interesting!  Many people said she wouldnt be able to do the things she has now proved she is able to.  People have also said she would never track...because she'd get the scent of a bird...put it up...and the track would be over.  She tracked (human scent) right over a phesant the other day...I didnt know till I nearly trod on the poor thing...and she didnt even waver from the track that had been laid for her to follow.  I know there are cockers competing in working trials and from what I hear the majority are excellent tracking dogs (and in my opinion so they should be they have excellent noses, so no excuse...lol).

Give it a go...dont listen to what others say...try to prove them wrong!  If you are happy with how your dogs are progressing and what they are doing then it doesnt really matter what others think?  Good Luck with the flyball..and keep trying with the obedience.  If your dogs are good enough they will qualify..it just might take a while to find a judge that appreciates them :)

I do have to disagree with you abouth the collies spaniel crazy...I feel it is still a great challenge to train a collie type for obedience...especially to a high level.  For a start the majority of the strong dogs that have the qualities required to take them to the top...are that...very strong-willed...and strong-eyed.  This creates a lot of challenges for the trainer/handler.  Also a lot of these potential champions are very smart, and so are not happy to do the same thing over and over...and if you do that with them...they will start doing the exercise their way...throwing in all manner of little quirks...and anticipating everything as they know what is coming next  ::)  I do have a BC...she is a little madam...I dont know that I will ever get round to competing her in obedience (but she is still young, so time will tell)...although she probably has the potential to go further in obedience than Storm at the moment...my spaniel is my better obedience dog!

p.s. Apologies for this being such a long post...but obedience is something I am quite passionate about  :lol:

Offline scoby007

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 10:29:21 PM »
I think Cockers are extremly Smart and can pick up pretty much anything, our Sam is doing really well we have pretty much sailed through the basic trainning and we are looking to teach and learn him even more new tasks.

S

Offline Vivienne

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 11:02:42 AM »
I think Im lucky with our trainer she uses her border collie and german shepherd but her pride and joy is her Cocker a very light coloured orange? roan who is about 9 years old. Ann also has just bred 4 cocker pups who she will not part with all beautifully behaved. My husband has a new border pup, he is quick! but Whistler was housetrained in weeks.
I agree that with patience you can obediance train any dog, its just borders ect learn quicker so the "trainer" has an easier job.
Anyway one you have a cocker all other breeds are not as loving and fun as a cocker, poor bloke must have delusions of adequacy to make any other comment!!

Keep training, Whistler's Mum