Author Topic: which lead?  (Read 2404 times)

Offline DINGER

• Site Member
  • cocoa 7 weeks
which lead?
« on: January 03, 2008, 10:20:33 PM »
soon be taking my pup out for his first walk just wondering best one for him, are halti leads any good,would any one reccomend them? ::)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: which lead?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 10:22:46 PM »
I don't like halti-head collars, or any complicated training accessories on a new puppy - but a simple, nylon harness might be a good option if you prefer that to a simple puppy collar and lead  :D

He will grow out of collars/leads really quickly, so don't invest in too many until he is fully grown  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 02:29:37 PM »
I also don't like halti-head collars. Personally I think they are cruel and not needed. I have also known dogs to get into fights when wearing them as they aren't able to send out the correct head signals, resulting in both dogs getting confused and mistaking a signal for aggression, causing a fight. Some people will say this is rubbish, but there you go. ;)

I have always taken my dogs and pups out on a nylon harness, at the moment, I use the Ancol ones (I have looked around for others though, and am still looking!). The reason for this is that I'm terrified my dogs/pups will slip their collar, lol. I'm probably over worrying though. I use the harnesses that fit round the dogs body AND neck, as the ones that just go round the body, my Lhasa Can slip out of, and I'm not risking my pup dong that, lol.

I also use a good quality (Ancol is good) slip lead. This is for quickness. Say, if I need to get the dogs in the car quickly, or we have guests that aren't keen on dogs. I will also use this when I take Marlee (my 14wk pup) to the river or seaside (I want it to be a little warmer first, lol), so to not get his harness cover in mud or seawater. Another time I use this, is when I take them to the vets, as I don't want the harness getting in the way of the vet if he/she needs to examine their body. Again, I find a slip lead safer than just attaching the lead to their collar, and not as uncomfortable as the choke chain (although, I do agree some dogs may need a choker sometimes - our late Westie did, as does my uncle's GSD).

Cob-Web is 100% right, he'll grow so fast, so don't buy too many things until he's at least over a year old.

Hope this helps.

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 02:32:35 PM »
I use slip leads on all my dogs, they never wear collars unless they have to so they are the easiest option. I have a wee slip lead for Otter but not yet had him on it as my dogs tend to be off lead all the time unless being trained or in a public place  :D I will however need to start to get him used to it  :blink:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 04:24:56 PM »
I use slip leads on all my dogs, they never wear collars unless they have to so they are the easiest option. I have a wee slip lead for Otter but not yet had him on it as my dogs tend to be off lead all the time unless being trained or in a public place  :D I will however need to start to get him used to it  :blink:

I would love to be able to give my dogs that freedom - but sadly, I have no choice but to walk them "in a public place" ph34r.  I use a slip lead when I take Molo to agility, but it wouldn't be suitable for everyday use for either of them  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline jobyhere

• Site Member
  • Jo , mum to 3 humans and 2 woofers Roxy & Izzy
Re: which lead? too many to choose from i say
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »
Envious  here - cant wait to start the daily walking routine.  for the past 6 monhts we have been looking after friends G  Retriever which has been great and also good practice for the family to get used to a dog.  well the waist line is expanding after Potter's return homeso I am counting the days to walkies heaven even if its small bursts of the local sidewalk.

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 08:24:21 PM »
Am complete novice but have to ask. What is a slip lead? and would it help stop Fred pulling when out for a walk? As for a collar Fred wears his all the time this isn't going to cause any problems is it?

lisa
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 09:13:56 PM »
I also slip leads with my two cockers

My lab has a collar and leather lead - when i got him i was given a choke chain - still got it but never used it  :shades:

I use slip leads with the dogs collars on - but only on very rare occassions, and for short times only (as in out the car till I let them off lead approx 15 / 20 steps ) I don't like using slip leads with a dog with a collar on - but that's just my personal preferance I think  :-\

Cazzie

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 09:20:24 PM »
Am complete novice but have to ask. What is a slip lead? and would it help stop Fred pulling when out for a walk? As for a collar Fred wears his all the time this isn't going to cause any problems is it?

lisa

Hi  :blink: A slip lead is a lead which has a loop at the end, where you open it up and slip it over their head, it has to be put on correctly so it stays loose. It wont stop any dog pulling and infact is probably not a good idea to use on a dog that is bad for pulling as they can choke themselves. I use slip leads as I say on all my dogs but they are trained from scratch on a slip lead not to pull so I dont have any problems. Sweepie my cocker was a different story as when I first got her, she had never seen a lead and when I did use a slip lead on her at first she was perfect and perfect in training in walking to heel, but after her confidence grew here in her new home, she started to pull on the slip lead, so I had to stop using it on walks, I tried various other leads/harness's etc and she still pulled, so I had to go back to basics with her getting her to walk to heel on the lead and on walks (as im lucky enought to be able to) stop using a lead all together. It has taken me months to get her to walk to heel correctly on the lead mostly all the time, but she will however if excited try and pull, but she is slowly getting there. If used correctly from day one a slip lead IMO is the best lead, but maybe not for a less experienced handler on a young dog because it can tighten round their neck if the dog is a constant puller.  :D You really do have to know/ or be advised on what your doing with a slip lead so as not to hurt your dogs neck or throat  ;)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 09:28:33 PM »
but maybe not for a less experienced handler on a young dog because it can tighten round their neck if the dog is a constant puller.  :D You really do have to know/ or be advised on what your doing with a slip lead so as not to hurt your dogs neck or throat  ;)

Yep totally agree with you on that  ;)

Also a lot of puppy classes will NOT let you use a slip lead

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »
 :D
Thanks for your advice- as obvious novice will stick with collar and lead and lots and lots and lots of training!!

Lisa
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 03:36:53 PM »
I used a half check collar with Maudie when we first had her. She just has a Claras collar and lead now.
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 03:38:49 PM »
I'd steer well clear of halti type headcollars too.. My re-homed dog (not a cocker) came with one and it's definitely made her nervous on the lead through restricted head movements. she's still not totally sure what to do when she meets other dogs on the lead and I'm sure it's because of the halti.

A little harness of normal collar and lead is more than sufficient for a cocker pup  :luv:

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Cazzie

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 06:15:35 PM »
I used a half check collar with Maudie when we first had her. She just has a Claras collar and lead now.

Now they are good, I use them on my terrier as she was always slipping out of her collar and ended up on the main road one day, I find them super and dont choke  :D

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 10:19:27 PM »
Ah the half Check, yes.
I was advised in my first puppy class on Tuesday after the trainer assessed Marlee on his walking to heel (not good at the mo, ph34r) that a half check would be a good idea. So I've brought one for him to use in his next class. Just waiting for it to arrive. I'm hoping it comes by Tuesday!  :-\