Author Topic: Agility Footwear  (Read 5610 times)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Agility Footwear
« on: February 03, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
So what do you all wear?  As with this wet weather I cant keep up with Max & end up on my knees as I obviously haven't got enough grip.
Are hockey shoes the best bet?

Something like this maybe?  Or can any brands be recommended?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230216517669&ssPageName=ADME:B:DBS:GB:1123

or these?
http://www.hockeyfactoryshop.co.uk/acatalog/Gryphon_Shoes.html
http://www.hockeyfactoryshop.co.uk/acatalog/Hockey_Factory_Shop_Dita_Shoes_4.html

clearance bit here, although am unsure about buying shoes without trying them 1st  :-\
http://www.hockeyclearance.co.uk/acatalog/Astro_Shoes.html

Thanks in advance - looking forward to not going home with muddy knees  :005:

Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Agility Footwear
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:43:07 AM »
It is not recommended to run an agility course on wet/slippy ground - as you have discovered, handlers can slip - but so can dogs, and can be badly injured  :-\

I know a lot of classes are held outside in all weathers - but it isn't considered to be responsible by experienced trainers/handlers  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:14:07 AM »
Hiya,

I have a pair of 'Ditas'- Hockey Shoes, like these: http://www.barringtonsports.com/hockey/category_Dita_Hockey_Shoes.htm I've always found them really good, I've had them for years. I've been known to fall over in any weather condition  :005: , but with these on, its much less likely!

I've not done any agility for a good year or so as I've been doing Flyball with the collie and my other dog (the little agility star!) is getting to old for it now  :'( sob sob!

Hope that helps!

Holly (...who can't wait til Rox and Rio reach a year old so can start agility! They're gonna love it!  :D )

Offline AnnaB

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »
You will find that competitions run no matter what the weather , with lots of experienced trainers and handlers running their dogs in these conditions, so you will need to be prepared for several different ground conditions.  I wear blades, which are a shaped football boot used for astroturf, if the going is very soggy.  They give good grip without having big studs sticking out.  For normal conditions I wear Ditas, as someone else has posted.  For indoor shows, where the surface is tyre or wood based I just wear hiking type boots because they give reasonable grip but without getting lots of the surface caught up in the bottom   :blink:

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 04:36:17 PM »
I used to wear hockey boots and they were good  :blink:.
Cayley.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »
Thank you for your useful posts  :-*

As I have also been known to slip over in the Summer, I shall go in search of some Ditas.

I think I've heard Dita mentioned before by other handlers in my class who regularly compete, but have not seen them for some time - obviously due to the weather  ;)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 08:18:35 PM »
I have waterproof Dita's, love them and my knees dont hurt anymore which they used to with the astro turf footnall boots - didnt have enough support

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 01:33:35 PM »
It is not recommended to run an agility course on wet/slippy ground - as you have discovered, handlers can slip - but so can dogs, and can be badly injured  :-\

I know a lot of classes are held outside in all weathers - but it isn't considered to be responsible by experienced trainers/handlers  :-\

My class is held outside in all weathers except if it's really wet, as it can get very slippy. They tend to put sand down during the winter to help with this and if it's been frosty they put sand on the obstacles so that it's not slippy for the dogs.

I tend to wear hockey shoes in the winter but even then I did still go flying once and landed flat on my face in the mud - Bella thought it was highly amusing...  ::) :lol:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 02:17:05 PM »
I think I must be the Imelda Markoss of agility!!  When going away I seem to have shoes for every occassion -
When really muddy - studded rugby boots (extra support on akle)
When quite wet - bladed football boots
Normal grass - ditas or innov 8 (similar to Dita's)
Inside - trainers

As well as wellies for those wet morning walking the course, fleecey yeard boots for tholse freezing cold mornings walking the course and nice trainers for if we ever go out of an evening at a camping show!!  No wonder we need a massive caravan!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 02:37:56 PM »

you dont live in Scotland then, if we didnt run in the rain we might miss half the season  :lol:

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 02:49:25 PM »

[/quote]

you dont live in Scotland then, if we didnt run in the rain we might miss half the season  :lol:
[/quote]

LOL O think that applies to everywhere at the moment. We train in a horse menarge and on grass so when its wet we run on sand! However our agility has been shut since November and is due to restart on Sunday!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 05:10:09 PM »

We train indoors - all year round  :-\

I am amazed how many people are prepared to run their dogs on wet ground; I have seen dogs injured on a dry course, so maybe I'm just more aware of the risks  :-\
Oldies Club

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 07:41:52 PM »
I find the comments in the last post highly patronising.

We are all aware of risks and conditions and may judge each differently.  My dogs are trained on all surfaces (where possible) and in most conditions bar high winds and ice which are dangerous.  My dogs are steadied and managed accordingly depending on the conditions.  I have seen as many injuries in dry as wet conditions - some are accidents - agility is a relatively high risk sport for dogs and handlers but as many are caused by inexperience in dog/handler re contact approaches etc.

3 years ago at easter was one of the wettest shows i have been to yet all judges and handlers were sensible in the conditions re courses and handling and as far as I am aware there was no major incidence of injury as a result.

Perhaps you should credit handlers with more experience and sense as to knowing their dogs and knowing how to do the best for them.  As has been said preiously if you only trained and allowed your dogs to run in perfect conditions you could probably only do 2 summer shows a year!!!!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 08:00:48 PM »
Perhaps you should credit handlers with more experience and sense as to knowing their dogs and knowing how to do the best for them. 

I am guided by my trainer and the experienced handers in my classes - they have strongly advised us to avoid classes that are run on wet ground, and are critical of those very few local classes which are run in the wet. Our trainer said that her insurance would be unlikely to cover her if a handler or dog was injured in such conditions; presumably, there are different policies for "all year round" conditions? :-\

I have slipped on damp grass, after a spring shower, when I ran Molo in a "fun" class, so I know how easy it is to do  :-\
Oldies Club

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 09:25:57 AM »
I think there is a difference between dangerous conditions and wet conditions, we have had a ring stopped once or twice when it became dangerous due to excessive mud etc, and obviously contact equipment etc comes into play in these situations, wouldnt risk seesaws etc in mad weather, but it is no less risky to train in the rain that it is when its dry, agility is a pretty low risk sport and I think you would struggle to find handlers that would ever put winning a class before their dogs safety.