Author Topic: Obedience trial  (Read 875 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Obedience trial
« on: March 02, 2008, 07:37:56 AM »
Hi, Just in case you need a laugh read on, entered Kody in obedience trial Friday night he already has one pass. Heal work 20 out of 30 (it was actually quite bad I think the judge was being very generous) Stand for exam 10 out 10 by now I'm getting a bit nervous as this means we are through to groups (stays) his recall is always good. Set him up, judge says call your dog and he ran pass me to say hello to a border collie out of the ring >:(  I just stood there stunned :o then I called him again, he was like a bullet straight in front of me head up almost touching my legs, bum down shame it was too late, we were disqualified for him leaving the ring.(I had comments later saying what a stunning recall) As I came out of the ring my exact words who wants a cocker!!!   :luv: wouldn't trade him for the world maybe a title but not the world.  I'm sure the devil takes over his body,  :005: or should I say brain. By the time I got home I was laughing, having a cocker is good for you stops you taking it all to serious, little b--ger . Interested to know how old other obedience cocker's are in the UK, he is only 2 and after taking to a friend with cocker's she said boys go silly (or the devil takes over at around 18 months till about 3) Considering easing off the obedience for a while sticking to flyball until he matures, the other cocker  in our obedience level is 6 years old. Is that when they calm down enough to stop thinking of naughty things to do instead of what is asked, or is obedience just to boring for a cocker so they have to liven things up. Or should I just keep on, as he does know what to do as proved maybe he just has a wicked sense of humor. :luv:
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
Re: Obedience trial
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:23:37 AM »
 :lol2:  :lol2:  :lol2: Kody sounds fantastic! I love a bit of character in dogs  :luv:
I dont know about the settling down when they get older bit, the older cockers I know are still able to get a bit naughty and wind eachother up!  :005:
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Re: Obedience trial
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:27:51 AM »
Awww...little monkey!  Cockers certainly do keep you on your toes!  ::)  I do agree that you need a sense of humour to work a cocker in obedience  ;)

So glad the majority of the test went well though...good luck for your next competition.

The age of obedience cockers in the UK?  I do not know the exact age of most of the cockers competing here (I think there is quite a range, but the most common age seems to be between 4 and 6 years old...in the south of the country anyway).  To be honest there really arent many cockers that compete.   Of the two cockers I know of that won through the beginners classes one of them was 2 1/2 when she got her wins, not sure about the other one?