Author Topic: 'Adopting' an older cocker  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Sallylou

• Site Member
'Adopting' an older cocker
« on: April 21, 2004, 04:26:07 PM »
Hello

we are thinking of 'adopting' a grown up cocker as a family pet.  We have spent a few weeks now speaking to lots of breeders etc for their expert advice, and have thought long and hard about the commitment of taking on a puppy.  However, as a busy family, with both myself and my husband working and kids at school (I only work part time) we feel it may be more than we can handle.

We have spoken to several breeders of good standing who for one reason or another are looking to rehome a dog which may not have made the grade for showing or whatever.  

Does anyone have any experience of doing this?  I am sure that it will not all be plain sailing as the dog will need a period of adjustment as it gets used to us and our routine etc.  The dogs all seem to have been living in the house, so will be housetrained etc, and all seem to be used to cages which seem a very good idea as a place of security and comfort.  However, I just wonder how easy a dog can go from, say living as part of a breeders family, possibly with other dogs, to joining a family and fitting into our routine.  Our children are nearly 10, and 6 years old.

There is such a wealth of experience on this forum, so if anyone has any advice, comments etc I'd be so pleased to hear.

Many thanks in anticipation!    :D                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 04:33:58 PM »
With the right amount of leeway to allow for the change in environment etc then there's no reason why it shouldn't work out very well indeed.

I know some fabulous ex-show/brood bitches that have gone to forever homes. As long as the temperament is right and you are prepared to accept that they might need just as much attention in the early weeks as a young puppy - it could be fine.

Ppl often opt for an older dog thinking it's like a pot noodle - just add the family and it's all done. This sadly is often not the case. As long as you are prepared for this then go for it.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Sallylou

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 04:45:23 PM »
Pammy
that's encouraging, but I guess it is hard to anticipate the problems we may face.
I don't know whether a dog who is used to other dogs in the home may miss them, or it may enjoy the peace and the fact that all the doggy attention is directed at it alone!
The dogs which have been mentioned to us are all of fantastic temperament, so we are assured, and I am convinced that none of these highly esteemed breeders would have any reason to tell us otherwise, knowing we have young(ish) children and their safety is paramount.
I think that the biggest change could be at night time, in terms of them feeling the loneliness then worst of all, but I think the answer to that is to leave them to is and they will settle in time, do you agree?
Anything else you can think of that I#ve missed?                    

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 08:49:20 PM »
Hi Sallylou,
We adopted an 8 year old girlie 5 months ago (can't believe how time flies :lol: ) Although the RSPCA were told that her rehoming was due to a relationship break up, the cynic in me feels otherwise.
Tia has certainly had pups, and I think that she was used that way until she got her eye problem and no-one would perhaps buy her pups??? My guess.
ANYWAY, she has settled in beautifully. She makes a bee line for other dogs in the park, and is very flirty with males even when not in season. She loves being the centre of attention, and is great with my kids (11 and 13). She doesn't have a crate, but her bed is put in the same quiet spot all the time. She usually chooses to be with us until we all go to bed and so does she.
She was a little restless at night at first, but as time has gone on less so.
I think adopting an older dog is great, particularly when their personaility is assessed for you. Go for it :!:  :!:  :D                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Hel

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 11:07:13 PM »
I have rescue cockers and foster rehome/rescues for a general rescue.  I have usually no history or a made up history from the owners.

I don't have children, but my dogs meet children all the time - I live half the time on a farm which has a large static caraven site with lots of kids.  All of my rescue/rehome  dogs have been 100% with kids.  

Because they are 'cute', I get a lot of kids coming over to my garden wall/gate on the farm to stroke them.  Obviously, I watch them all the time - but to be honest, for my dogs' safety rather than the kids.                    

Offline Sallylou

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 09:56:47 AM »
Oh, I'm feeling so much better now.  I think it is a fantastic thing to take on rescue dogs, but I personally would only have a dog whose temperament could be vouched for, simply as a precaution for my children.  This might be a bit prejudiced, but I don't think I could relax with the element of the unknown.

to be honest, we are going to meet a lovely breeder in couple of weeks, who has a 2 yo dog and 3yo bitch who I think she may be willing to 'let go', but she is very attached to them, and I am sure she wants to have a good look at us before she makes a decision.  I take this as a very positive thing, but the idea of having a dog like this, which she can vouch for its kind temperament, is great.  The only thing I wonder about is that they are used to living in a house full of dogs, and I don't want our dog to be lonely!

Anyway, i think we'll have a much better idea once we've met them.

:D                    

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 11:54:15 AM »
I recently adopted Dillon, a 5 year old Cocker.  We had one teeny little fight between him & Bess (my 12 year old Cocker) but other than that, it has been wonderful.  Dillon still behaves very much like a puppy, it's very hard to believe he's 5, but I think somewhere along the line, he missed out on puppyhood.  

I say "go for it".  If you adopt from a proper rescue organisation, they will assess you & the dog & make sure you are suited to each other.  If you look on www.dogpages.org.uk there's a lovely 5 year old boy on there under More dogs needing homes.  His name is Droopy & he's with Dasha Dog Rescue (where I got Dillon from).

Good luck

Edited to say I've just looked at your last post.  If you're worried about 1 dog being lonely, why not have them both?  Remember, 2 are twice as nice as 1!  :D                    

Offline Sallylou

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 12:37:10 PM »
Does anyone know whether Droopy is still looking for a home?  He looks so gorgeous.                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 01:07:28 PM »
Hi Sallylou. someone was coming to see him yesterday. I  havnt heard how they got on though.

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.ph...=2&t=32861&st=0

heres the link.  :)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 04:59:17 PM »
And Dasha seems to have had a few cockers of late so it might just be worth asking her if she could bear you in mind.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!