Should I buy a dog now or wait?

Yes
6 (27.3%)
No
11 (50%)
Maybe
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Cocker Crazy  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2004, 12:11:24 AM »

Oh well, you never know, it may help someone else in the future :wink:

Exactly Emma :)                    
Jane

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2004, 12:29:17 AM »
Thanks Jane, I feel a little less in the dark now - you learn something new every day  :D  :lol:

I've found the answers given by others very interesting so far as I have been in a similar position of wanting a dog at the wrong time in my life - though I didn't realise it then.  Had it not been for my other (some would say 'more rational' :roll: ) half I may have made a decision I later regretted.                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2004, 02:30:55 AM »
Would you be prepared to put your dog before your job?  There will be times when you will have to do this.  Putting your wants aside - do you hand on heart feel that you can offer a dog - a lifestyle it will be happy with for the forseeable future?

With reference to part of my earlier thread :

To which the answer must be Yes!  I am not talking 2.4 children + husband and wife at home all day or any other scenario.  This is ONE question of many that EVERY potential dog owner (or any other animal for that matter) should ask oneself.  Even the most bizarre of lifestyles can include a dog companion.

Take the homeless scenario stated by Davinia - a match made in heaven - so to speak.  Homeless person + stray dog = mutual companionship and the homeless person would certainly have time on his hands to devote.  Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination -  teamwork for survival though lets say.

I can't  answer a lifestyle question for someone else - only the potential owner knows how much time can be devoted through the stages of puppyhood/adolescence/maturity/old age/ good health/ bad health/etc etc.  I can only share my opinions based on my own experiences and based on the information given.  I readily thank all you breeders that insist of 101 questions for your pups futures.  So many people take on animals with a blinkered vision - ultimately the animal pays the price for a wrong choice.

I feel my question is a standard one and not critical.

I am desparate for pup No 2 but, good things come to those who wait - right now my time is for Brogan - (I thank Jane S for confirming what I already knew in my heart of hearts).  Usually though when a weighted question is answered we invariably know the answer and it is usually one that we don't like  :wink:  Even grown ups can't do everything they want - as I tell my 3 children :lol:

Seems that a lot of us here have had to wait for our dream dogs - its hard being sensible - nothing is usually forever though.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Dexter and Davinia

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2004, 02:19:55 PM »
An internet troll is someone who is deliberately provocative on forums to wind up the other members :wink:

Thanks to every one that has taken the time to reply. The question is one that seems to raise alot of strong feelings and opinions. Many people seem to have faced the same dilema at one time or another.

Emma, I can assure you this is not a wind up :D

As for the internet troll comment, Colin was that what you were trying to do by making the off hand comment about 21 year old self obsessed, navel gazers, or the one about dogs not liking verbosity? :?

I am obviously trying to make the right decision, which is why I posted my initial message for you experienced dog owners to advice me. Comments such as yours, Colin, are unhelpful and of the point. :(

I would like to apologise to anyone who took offence at that exchange and thank all for their comments again. :)                    
Me - Davinia, and Dexter...my dog?

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2004, 03:38:51 PM »

I am finding the poll misleading on this question - as there are 2 questions:

Buy a dog now?
Or wait to buy dog?

Both questions requiring a different answer.  The poll answer depends on how you read the question = everyones interpretation will be different.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline PennyB

Cocker Crazy
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2004, 09:13:57 PM »

I am finding the poll misleading on this question - as there are 2 questions:

Buy a dog now?
Or wait to buy dog?

Both questions requiring a different answer.  The poll answer depends on how you read the question = everyones interpretation will be different.

..and from what I've read of your comments you appear to have made your mind up already                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2004, 02:26:30 AM »
As someone who has rescue cockers and rehomes cockers- cockers who usually come into rescue because their owner's work situation has changed - I would ask you to give this much more thought from the dog's point of view.

Obviously, I can't change your mind.  But I was once a 'know it all' graduate at 21.  

A quote I love  - ' The young think the old are foolish; the old know the young are foolish'.                    

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2004, 09:40:38 AM »
You're looking at your needs, not the dog's. In my opinion, you would be better off getting one of those cyber pet thingies, or one of those life like babies that cry & you have to guess whether they want changing, feeding, burping or whatever.  At least you can take the batteries out if it becomes too much for you.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2004, 09:52:49 AM »
I think this thread has now gone as far as it can - replies which are overtly hostile are not going to make anyone change their mind! Sensible advice has been given & it now up to the original poster to decide whether to take it or not.

Jane                    
Jane