Author Topic: which kong for puppy?  (Read 829 times)

Offline VickyG

• Holly & Henry - Double trouble!!
which kong for puppy?
« on: July 31, 2008, 02:27:24 PM »
Hi all,
well my little man will be arriving in a few weeks and I've been reading 'before and after getting your puppy- Ian Dunbar' and I'm going to buy some kongs to stuff with foody bits for him, but I'm not sure which ones to get, I've seen a puppy kong here-

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item--PUPPY-Kong--pupkong---dogs

Is this the right one?  How many do you think I'll need- 2/3/4? Or should I get the red medium sized (not just for puppies) one so he can still use it when he's bigger?

thanks  :D
cocker spaniels make everything ok

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
Re: which kong for puppy?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 02:28:52 PM »
my boys have the medium red kong, and my boys are 11 months and nearly 10 weeks

They love them

Offline ali carrera

• Limited Member
  • CARRERA & PORTIA
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »
I personally would get two small puppy kongs, and two medium puppy kongs.They are not expensive, and when they are no longer needed I pass them on to friends with puppies(after a hot wash in dish washer!)
The rubber in the puppy kong is more flexible and chewable.
A favourite with Carrera, especially during this hot weather phase is
Blend two slices of wholemeal bread, one small carton of unsweetened probiatic plain yoghurt, and one small can of tuna with olive oil(olive oil drained).
Plug small hole of Kong with a little of the wholemeal bread, pour blended mix into Kong and wrap in foil and freeze for 24 hours.
Another favourite is ripe banana instead of the tuna.
Remove Kong from freezer 15 minutes prior to feeding......and I guarantee u a happy pup. Also fantastic as a diversion when introducing a diversion for separation :luv:

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:25:49 PM »
I wouldn't recommend going too mad as not all are interested - doesn't matter what we put in Harveys he stays interested for about 3 seconds....  just start with 1 perhaps for interest and great stuff if it works...

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »
we have the red medium one.  she also had a puppy kong when she was a baby which was a cylinder shape with ridges down it, i used to put cheese in the ridges.  i think it was pink.

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »
Doesnt look like much would fit in the puppy one?

REUBY DOOO!

Offline pamela

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 11:35:50 PM »
I would buy 1 maybe, and see how you get on with it, Ben wasn't the least bit interested in kongs and still isn't!
Good luck with your pup - the Ian Dunbar book is a really good book, I used it for my golden retriever and is works!

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 07:49:55 AM »
Jerry has the puppy one and he loves it! they are especially good for freezing when they are teething. Also when I go on the school run I give him a frozen kong in his crate to keep him amused while Im gone...when I come back he's still busy with his "lolly"!  :luv:  I will definitely be getting him a big boy one when he is older.
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 07:57:35 AM »
I've got the red ones, but they are quite small, wish I'd bought the bigger ones now
Why not buy one red one and try it? If pupster can't manage it now you can keep it for when the little man is older. If you buy the puppy one first off you will be stuck with it if you decide it's too small IFYSWIM
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline twolittleboys

• Elgar and Finzi
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »
I bought two puppy ones for the boyus, unfortnately they are pink, couldn't get any blue ones, perhaps thats why they didn't touch them!  Different matter when I put the kong puppy paste in them and now mashed banana and freeze, they adore that!  Trouble is though you cannot get much in the puppy size so going to buy the next one up.  Another thing that keeps them busy is the treat ball, I stick some tiny morsels in there and Finze spends ages chasing it around the kitchen.  Elgar looks on as if to say 'what are you doing?'  (I don't think he has sussed it out yet ... bless!)