Author Topic: Treat balls?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Treat balls?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 10:20:53 AM »
TBH I can't really understand the point of encouraging a dog to scavenge for it's food (in reference to hiding Barf around the garden) when you would never want them to do that with game when you're working the dog.

For working dogs, I entirely agree - but dogs that are trained to work are mentally stimulated in other ways; unlike the thousands of pets that are offered little in the way of mental challenge on a daily basis  :-\

Hiding/scattering meals is a relatively simple way for even the busiest, and least-committed of dog owners to stimulate their dog, so I do understand why Dunbar has recommended this approach....even if all dogs don't *need* it, it doesn't do any harm and may well reduce the chance some dogs becoming destructive  ;)  It also offers calorie-burning exercise that some dogs desperately need  ph34r

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 10:30:32 AM »
I have scatter sessions with mine, and kongs and food balls and interactive toys like the dog tornado but not every time i feed.
mine love it and go crazy for the hunt.
It's a good opportunity to use their noses, which is great for cockers.

don't have a problem with that, but I'm assuming it's kibble or cooked treats not BARF?

helen & jarvis x

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 11:08:03 AM »
Mine use treat balls. I find it especially good for Rio who bolts her meals, it means she has to slow down and work for it!  :D

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 02:55:47 PM »
I have treat balls and kongs but I never put a whole meal in one  :D

I do scatter kibble around out in the garden once in a blue moon.

I also use some of the dogs meal to use for clicker training - I do 10 minutes with each dog on their own to learn a new behaviour :D

Offline helen1

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 03:03:56 PM »
I bought a treat ball for Bailey and yesterday I filled it up and the silly thing picked it up and took it outside and just dumped it in the garden ph34r  Im not wanting to pick it back up as some creepy crawlies might be in it eating the treats :005:
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 03:07:59 PM »
I bought a treat ball for Bailey and yesterday I filled it up and the silly thing picked it up and took it outside and just dumped it in the garden ph34r  Im not wanting to pick it back up as some creepy crawlies might be in it eating the treats :005:

ewe slugs!   ph34r ph34r

REUBY DOOO!