Author Topic: Bronze Good Citizen - not going well  (Read 4705 times)

Offline wend

• Site Member
Re: Bronze Good Citizen - not going well
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 09:11:03 PM »
Just to let you all know I didn't take the test, I backed out like a big baby making excuses that my little boy was sick  ph34r
I'm now going to spend the next couple of months training and gradually cut down on the treats. Thank you all for the replies at least next time I'll have an idea what I'm letting myself in for.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 10:30:21 PM »
Just to let you all know I didn't take the test, I backed out like a big baby making excuses that my little boy was sick  ph34r
I'm now going to spend the next couple of months training and gradually cut down on the treats. Thank you all for the replies at least next time I'll have an idea what I'm letting myself in for.

That is very true, and anything that is getting you that wound up is not really worth the hassle is it - after all as already said it is not a race - do it when you are ready, it is not compulsory after all
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 01:11:46 PM »
I have two dogs with the Bronze Award and one of which has the Silver Award too. I like them and I offer them at my training school too!

We use treat based training, but we always point out (and keep repeating it!!!) that treats should be a reward, not a bribe. In other words, the treat should not be used as a lure permanently, but given as a reward once a job is well done! Ideally, if using luring as a training method, it should only be lured a few times (no more than 10 times) until the dog understands what to do, then the treat should not be held in the hand anymore (though the hand will still make the same movement), but taken out of the pocket, once the dog has completed the exercise! This means that a dog starts "working" without having to see the treat - and therefore also in an exam situation.

I feel that if treats are used as a lure too long, the smell and sight of the food become actually part of the cue/command... This means that if the treat is not there, it is often not so much the fact that the dog won't do anything without the treat, rather than he doesn't understand the cue/command because half of the cue/command is missing without a treat!

So if your dog does not do exercises without a treat, start off practising like mad by using a treat the first two times you ask your dog for example to sit, then the third time you just pretend you have a treat, then when the dog has done the exercise, you take the treat out of the pocket. The dog will soon learn that he doesn't need to see/smell the treat to get it after the exercise!

I agree with Mark of course that the main aims are how your dog behaves and progresses in every day life, but being a competitive person myself, I like tests and things...  ;) And I also feel that the Bronze/Silver etc Awards give owners something to work for - and they often do more training for it!

If at the end of the Bronze course you feel that you or your dog is not ready, just do the course again until you are! Your dog has been thrown into a new situation, with new dogs and people around... give him time to get used to it. Practice in new places with distractions frequently if you can, so your dog gets used to listening in any type of situaiton to you. Every dog can pass the Bronze in my opinion!  :D

Oh, and last but not least, the KC allows owners to have treats ON THEM, but they can only be used and given after an exercise is done, not during. But just having treats on you often helps if your dog knows (see above) that he will get them after a job well done.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »
Oh, and last but not least, the KC allows owners to have treats ON THEM, but they can only be used and given after an exercise is done, not during. But just having treats on you often helps if your dog knows (see above) that he will get them after a job well done.

Vera

Yes I can understand that, after all, mine have to sit/lay whilst I prepare their food, (3 dogs going crazy at mealtimes would drive me up the wall) but they know that if they stay put they will get their dinners quicker.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline wilfsaunty

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 11:12:12 PM »
What Vera said.  ;)

Some testers will allow you to use food as a lure in the test but this is not how the test is described in the kc guidelines.  But its absolutley fine for you to use food as a reward at the end of each exercise.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 08:08:48 AM »
I don't understand why rewards can't be used. Surely it is a positive method of training. how can you suddenly expect a dog to behave without rewards if he has received them in all other training sessions. I am sure my OH used treats when Charlie did his. Is this a standard?

I find with Ruby she just works harder to get a treat even if its only at the end
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!