Author Topic: Agility/gundog training  (Read 892 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Agility/gundog training
« on: December 04, 2008, 05:43:34 AM »
Hi, There is a possibility of us relocating to the UK, :blink: Maidenhead area, so I'm trying to workout rules and regulations regarding your Obed (which I found) but Agility I can't find what is the first level of competing, what is the course made up of? I'm just assuming that it is all very different than here in Australia, we are of trial standard here and should have been trailing at novice. Gundog training (now I'm getting excited) :D :D although you all sound very experienced so with 3 and 4 yr old dogs it might be too late for me to start , how do I go about looking for classes. Just spent an hour on the net trying to find out any help appreciated. Obsiouly if I go my dogs come with me. I tried to explain to my boy that not putting your feet on the wet grass here because its cold (he has to be pushed onto the grass nearly everynight and its summer) doesn't like it cold that he could be in for a big surprise, snow!!!!!! if we end up in England the other possibilty is Hong Kong prefer England they don't like the heat that much.

Thanks for help
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
Re: Agility/gundog training
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 01:18:24 PM »
Hi

The basic rules of agility and type of equipment over here is pretty much the same whichever organisation you compete under (not sure about Australia but over here there are Kennel Club competitions and other organisations such as UKA or BAA etc).

Main equipment:
Contacts: A Frame 5ft 7" for all heights of dog
Dog walk
See saw
All have up and down contacts marked and are 5 faults for missing

Standard hurdles - under KC the heights are 35cm (do measuring up to 35cm at withers), 45cm - medium( dogs measuring over 35cm but 45cm or under) and large - 65cm - dogs over 45cm.
Also have walls, wishing wells, long juimps etc
Collapsible and pipe tunnels
There is a table but it is very rarely used (time factor)
Tyre
weaves - min 5 and max 12 but any combination between those numbers

The course comprises between 10-20 obstacles (most are around 16-18).  Standard faults are 5R for refusals (run pasts) or incorrect weave entry, % for knoecked poles, missed contacts.  5 handling for deliberate touching of the dog. 

I have missed some but most is probably the same.

If you compete under KC you will need to have your dogs measured before competing - but if you get over here someone will help you - a useful site for what is happening in agiloity is:
www.agilitynet.co.uk

Again in KC (other organisations vary) there are 7 grades from elementary to Advanced - All newbies to agility start in grade 1 but once you win out of grade 1 you can never go back there and the same is true for grade 2. So once out of grade 2 every baby dog you have starts in grade 3.   you would need to contact the KC to check which grade you would transfer into - I would guess if you are in novice if it is like the UK used to be that means you have won out of lower grades?? If that is the case I would guess you would start in Grade 3 but would need to check with the KC.

Progression through grades is either by winning an agility or 3 jumping classes or by gaining 75 points.  There is an explanation of agiltiy warrant system if you search on agility net.  There are some archive items explaning the rules too.

I could go on but some useful links to other orgnisation rules etc:
UKA - UK agility - http://www.ukagility.com/Default.aspx
Agility Addicts - http://www.agilityaddicts.net/

KC rules but the forum on agility net does give some information and past questions etc and the kennel club page on agility net does give some clues.  Also looking at schedules can give some ideas as to the eligbility of grades and heights etc.

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
The Kennel Club has a list of (KC registered) clubs that offer gundog training.  If you contact them they will be able to send you a list of clubs.  I found a club I could have taken Storm that way. 

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:38:56 PM »
That would be great - if you end up in Maidenhead area you will be able to come to our Bucks/Oxon meets!  ;) :D
Julie and Watson