Author Topic: Bathtime  (Read 995 times)

Offline josiek

• Site Member
Bathtime
« on: July 30, 2004, 12:46:40 PM »
Hello all - does anyone have any tips on how to get our little puppy Bailey to start enjoying his bathtime?  he's only had 2 so far (for the first one he was so small we fit him into the sink to bath him) and he finds them to be a pretty scary experience, trying to claw his way out of the bath.  I don't want to traumatise him any further  :(  (even though 10 minutes afterwards he ends up in manic mode and seems no worse for the experience!)                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Bathtime
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 02:32:21 PM »
I wipe butter or peanut butter over the side of the bath for them to lick.  Doesn't make my 2 enjoy baths but certainly makes them more tolerant!  :wink:   I also feed a treat when they are standing nice and quiet - being an octopus also helps at this point!! :lol:                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Bathtime
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 03:53:42 PM »
My husband baths Indie while I feed him treats.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Bathtime
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 04:51:11 PM »
It really is a two person job makes life easier... I got soaked last time I tried to bath Jovi on my own, he kept trying to escape.. The trauma had only just begun because he hates the hairdryer too!  :roll:                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Bathtime
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 10:37:21 PM »
Jazz Just stands still looking at me with sad eyes. she doesn't move until i pull th eplug out to the bath. I have been lucky, although i did start bathing her early, and every week, with only water, no shampoo..

I do keep talking to her the whole time.

Cathy                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline lorri

• Site Member
Bathtime
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 11:53:44 PM »
always place a towel or rubber mat at the bottom to stop them slipping and feeling insecure. Doesnt stop Jarvis from going mad though going to leave it to the groomer fingers cross he doesnt get dirty before then!!! :?                    

Offline bunny

• Site Member
Bathtime
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 04:33:19 PM »
Jazz Just stands still looking at me with sad eyes. she doesn't move until i pull th eplug out to the bath. I have been lucky, although i did start bathing her early, and every week, with only water, no shampoo..  

I do keep talking to her the whole time.  

Cathy

same here elmo has probably the saddest eyes i have ever seen but he stands there, and i talk to him all the time to, i try always to rub areas like the ears etc the way he likes and that helps relax him to :D                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Bathtime
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 08:02:51 PM »
My daughter went into the bath with Lottie the second time we bathed her.
It was much more successful....but not a solution that I always want to use.

I'm hoping that as Lottie gets more used to swimming in water on her walks that she may wnjoy her baths.

I'm not too hopeful though....it's never worked that way with Goldie :roll:

I'm not sure of the answer, I just try to keep talking to her, make her feel secure and try to make the bathtime enjoyable and as quick as possible.
She loves the cuddle in the towel afterwards.                    

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
Bathtime
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 08:26:29 AM »
Hi

We use our baby bath we had for the girls :) Rusty tolerates it rather than likes it   :P but it seems to be getting better each week we bath him :)

Elle & Rusty Roo x