Author Topic: Hello im new to here  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
Re: Hello im new to here
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 11:53:16 PM »
Depends where he was 'advertised'  ;) If it a return to breeder situation or through some of the folks that TopBarks posted to, or a rescue then good. However, if it is a private rehome please be careful as some people (not all) will tell porkies to get shot of a problem dog. Only last week there was a case of someone having to hand a dog into rescue after paying good money to someone who lied about it and then refused to take it back when it showed its true colours and was completely unsuitable for them  >:D
If you did decide to go ahead questions I would ask are:
- can you see him vet record and ask if you can contact the vet (if they are not keen then sign they are hiding something)
- can you see KC papers and were its parents health tested
- is it used to kids (take kids along to test this out!)
- is it used to being alone
- does it have good recall
- does it walk well on lead
- does it chew
- does it get on with strangers
-does it guard toys/food/people
-how high an energy drive does it have (have a look to see if it is overweight)
-ask why they are giving it up - it may be something that you wouldn't be able to change eg can't be left along et
-ask why they are not going through a rescue
 sure I will think of more and others will add!
I actually got my dog as a private rescue (done via a third party we both new which took the risk out of it for me). I am sure there are folks that are genuine but BUYER BEWARE!
-
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 11:53:55 PM »
Depends where he was 'advertised'  ;) If it a return to breeder situation or through some of the folks that TopBarks posted links to, or a rescue then good. However, if it is a private rehome please be careful as some people (not all) will tell porkies to get shot of a problem dog. Only last week there was a case of someone having to hand a dog into rescue after paying good money to someone who lied about it and then refused to take it back when it showed its true colours and was completely unsuitable for them  >:D
If you did decide to go ahead questions I would ask are:
- can you see him vet record and ask if you can contact the vet (if they are not keen then sign they are hiding something)
- can you see KC papers and were its parents health tested
- is it used to kids (take kids along to test this out!)
- is it used to being alone
- does it have good recall
- does it walk well on lead
- does it chew
- does it get on with strangers
-does it guard toys/food/people
-how high an energy drive does it have (have a look to see if it is overweight)
-ask why they are giving it up - it may be something that you wouldn't be able to change eg can't be left along et
-ask why they are not going through a rescue
 sure I will think of more and others will add!
I actually got my dog as a private rescue (done via a third party we both new which took the risk out of it for me). I am sure there are folks that are genuine but BUYER BEWARE!
-
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline dannyj

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 12:17:09 AM »
see some of those i would never think to ask - thankyou - i thought id sound silly asking, i was lucky with both my dogs the came from my nan and her friends that both used to breed them.

Heres what i know about the doggy so far:

Hes 2 and a working line cocker but a familly pet,
he lives with 5 children from 13 week old - 12 years old
the reasoning for rehoming him is she starts work in sept and does not have time to walk him
good on and off the lead and returns when called
He is not neutered but is microchipped
loves the baby, gets on with cats, jumps in the bath water lol

this is what iv been told, seen an add on preloved site, she sent me 2 pics of him today he looks yummy big brown eyes

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 07:27:34 AM »
He sounds good to me.............
Hi btw, I'm Nina, owned by a 2.5 years old worker, Smartie, and a 10 year ols show, Chops. We are in Dartmouth in Devon, and I have 6 cats (Smartie never gets bored of chasing them) and 2 kids, 10 and 9. (also a few small pets!)
Hope you have plenty of time, its VERY addictive here!!

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 09:01:39 AM »
Hi Dan, welcome to COL  :D
Hope you find your perfect pooch soon, the rehome sounds promising  ;)
I've got Milly, a working cocker aged 2 in Oct. Cockers truely are the most fabulous dogs.
Have fun!

Jo & Milly xx

Offline dannyj

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 09:05:56 AM »
He does sound promising, and from what iv read i think her reasoning for rehoming is pretty true, would be a struggle with 5 kids too.
The pics are great - il try upload them somehow dunno how like but il put them up for you all to see - i adore his eyes - big and brown

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 09:07:51 AM »
What colour is he Dan?

Offline marief

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »
Hi I'm also new here; and my spaniel is a springer adopted from NWESSR. Just to add that Northern English Springer spaniel rescue also have a section for cocker spaniels needing rehoming  see
http://www.nessr.net/smf/index.php?board=97.0
They also come up occasionally on other springer spaniel rescue sites so may be worth registering there.  Good luck with this dog; obviously individuals may have valid reasons for rehoming their dog, but as others have said you do get a proper assessment of what both the dog and your family need if you go via a rescue organisation, plus back up if anything goes wrong.  If you decide not to proceed with this dog it might be worth suggesting to the owner that she contact a rescue organisation herself as that also avoids puppy farmers etc taking on dogs which are advertised on free ads or pre-loved.  Good luck with your search.

Marie

Offline benson

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 08:36:12 PM »
Hello im Sue
I am also a new member to this website. I also have a 3month black and white girl cocker pup called Indie :blink: she has already stolen our hearts!! i have been watching this website for a few months now and i have just this second worked out how to post a comment on this page!

Offline dannyj

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 10:11:10 PM »
Hes a black cocker - i have some pics on my phone iv been sent but noway of uploading them onto here as i dont have a dongle anymore, if somene could upload them for me that would be great

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 11:30:32 AM »
Another black eh  :shades:
No, seriously, its fab - blacks are great!  :angel: just ask Mcphee & Sky Sue!  ;)
Can't help with the remote pic upload thing I'm afraid - had to get my 13 yr old to put my first pics on here  ::) :005:
Looking forward to seeing him - what's his name? are you going to keep it or choose a new one?

Jo & Milly (black :005:) xx

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 06:00:44 AM »
Welcome to you too Benson, I hope you have alot of spare time, you will be spending a fair bit here!!

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 01:54:14 PM »
I hope it all turns out well for you and you have your new doggy soon. One thing I would add is make sure that the microchip details are also changed over if you go ahead as these will be in the current owners name.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline little_jack

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 06:53:16 PM »
Hi and welcome. I have a soft spot for black cockers  :luv: Can't imagine why I am so biased  :005: . Hope everything works out for you

Offline benson

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 08:30:53 PM »
Wow, i just worked out how to check for replies!!  Until 3weeks ago Maya was called Indie, i just one day looked at her and thought of Maya.  Will you betaking Indie to Shorne?