Author Topic: so expensive!  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Kiba

so expensive!
« on: November 16, 2009, 12:55:13 PM »
Hi there,

I am looking into insurance prices for when I get my puppy (hopefully next year) and I tried greenbee and petplan, both of which wanted £33-45per month for an 8 week old puppy (I had to put in pretend birthdates as not born yet)

How are other people getting insurance for £15-20 p/m?!  That would be much more reasonable.

Is it just because of the area?

Offline jla

Re: so expensive!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:43:59 PM »
Try More Than - I have just been doing the rounds and they have come up the cheapest for me.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:19:32 PM »
I'm with Argos (have never had to claim so can't vouch for them) - but for Roly its about £14 and Misha about £11.
Am surprised that Greenbee are so much, they were about the same as Argos when I took out my insurance - However went through a cashback site so got £40 back for the Argo policy.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:25:42 PM »
It depends what is covered in your policy, we are with Tesco and it costs us 10.50 a month (online price)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 02:58:54 PM »
I am with Axa - we reduced from £22 year 1 to £18 year 2.  We have £7.5k cover each year which renews annually and £50 excess.  They have paid vets directly each time and very quickly.  We had a lot of claims in first year so were most surprised at reduction for year 2

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 03:36:32 PM »
Try Sainsburys.  I know my last quote was cheaper because already had a dog with them but still less to on-line reduction too.  They've always paid up and not increased the premium after a claim.  Vets bills covered for lifetime too, not just a year which is worth remembering.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 05:25:15 PM »
I'm with M&S at £24 per month - Greenbee and Petplan wanted in excess of £40 per month!!

However, a recent post on here mentioned that M&S were increasing a poster's premiums to a level where the insurance could actually become unaffordable.  Personally, I feel I need to get the right policy at the start as changing insurer at a later date results in any known conditions being excluded - which is why you can so easily end up trapped in later years with exhorbitant premiums.  Thus, whilst Animal Friends costs a little bit more per month than M&S I am going to switch.  As yet I haven't heard that Animal Friends hike premiums in the later years!!

Offline Kiba

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:52:39 PM »
Thank you for all the advice!

I will have to keep trying other companies, I was shocked it was so high compared to what everyone else seems to be getting.

Maybe when I move in January and have a different postcode it will be cheaper too!

I know I want insurance though as when I finally do get my little fluff bundle I want to ensure I can take him to the vet no matter what the cost is  :D

Offline jla

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 08:11:23 AM »
And please read the small print.  A lot of the cheaper policies only pay £xk per condition and once that is gone that is it.  I personally opt for a more expensive policy but one that renews the por, regardless of conditon, each year.

Offline silly milly

• Donator
  • silly milly
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 09:07:38 AM »
we are with healthy pets - we found them the best for us and only cost £184.11 yearly or £15.34 per month - thats for two dogs!
excess is now £65.00.
underwritten by axa.
we have the gold policy and it covers you for up to £5,000.00 per condition  per year.
with lots of love from silly milly and her mum!!!!

Offline Kiba

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »
Thanks again,

I will look into small print, Green bee looked good as it has i think it was £7k per year but i did not see if they pay out for on going conditions but since they wanted so much which I can presume will only go up, I will look at others :)

Offline black taz

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 12:45:32 PM »
Healthy pets here to - i have made two claims (one for taz and one for the cat) and they paid both quickly.