Author Topic: How much exercise?  (Read 4468 times)

Offline mcphee

Re: How much exercise?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 07:57:30 AM »
Oh dear, here is always something to worry about, isn't there. I avoided this thread to begin with, as I was not sure how I could help, as I have probably breached all the advice from my inexperience. I would definitely do things differently if I could start again, but I do not have that luxury. Rufus was very active when young. He had 3 short walks a day, some up to 30 minutes some longer even as a young puppy, because of his activity levels, and because the then trainer said let him off every walk. He was a very leggy boy. and didn't look much like his show chums. He did not bulk out till between 2 and 3. There is now a query about his hips, at 5, and he has glucosamine as a precaution everyday. He shows no sign of pain, and I hope I have not damaged him. Of course there are always collisions and other accidents to blame as well. If I was starting again, I would restrict exercise. But as others have said, when a cocker naturally runs like a whippet and keeps up with bigger dogs as he plays, it seems harsh to stop him. Oh yes, I have also been advised to stop the throwing of bouncy balls, which Rufus loves and always has done because he can jump and catch the ball as it bounces. The aerial twist and landing is not a natural movement and puts strain on the hips, apparently. So I would restrict exercise to short walks with some training, and build it up. I would use the lead and a long lead more, and I would use a dummy and not a bouncy ball. But who knows whether things would be better? And I would probably still be worried about something.

Offline Londonwriter

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 01:56:28 AM »
Oh dear, here is always something to worry about, isn't there. I avoided this thread to begin with, as I was not sure how I could help, as I have probably breached all the advice from my inexperience. I would definitely do things differently if I could start again, but I do not have that luxury. Rufus was very active when young. He had 3 short walks a day, some up to 30 minutes some longer even as a young puppy, because of his activity levels, and because the then trainer said let him off every walk. He was a very leggy boy. and didn't look much like his show chums. He did not bulk out till between 2 and 3. There is now a query about his hips, at 5, and he has glucosamine as a precaution everyday. He shows no sign of pain, and I hope I have not damaged him. Of course there are always collisions and other accidents to blame as well. If I was starting again, I would restrict exercise. But as others have said, when a cocker naturally runs like a whippet and keeps up with bigger dogs as he plays, it seems harsh to stop him. Oh yes, I have also been advised to stop the throwing of bouncy balls, which Rufus loves and always has done because he can jump and catch the ball as it bounces. The aerial twist and landing is not a natural movement and puts strain on the hips, apparently. So I would restrict exercise to short walks with some training, and build it up. I would use the lead and a long lead more, and I would use a dummy and not a bouncy ball. But who knows whether things would be better? And I would probably still be worried about something.

I wish Toq could speak. Even if he can't make risk/benefit judgments, at least I could get some indication of the strength of his feelings.

I know that I would rather run the risk of joint damage than I would have my exercise constrained (indeed, I'm making that choice everyday - I have a damaged knee that I run the risk of exacerbating). However, I can't make that judgment call for Toq - I feel I have to do what's best for his welfare or be wracked with guilt if something goes wrong. But I do wonder what he'd want me to do given he's as exuberantly outdoorsy as I am.

Offline sophiew

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 09:28:11 AM »
I have a dog with joint damage caused by over exercise as a pup, and the subsequent arthritis, and as such I can see what discomfort he is in every day as a result. Hence why my cocker pup will be carefully exercised until she's a year. After that - as long as you build them up to - they can go as far as they like!  I think the year is a small price to pay for their long term well being.

Sophie
x

Offline Londonwriter

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 08:08:10 AM »
I have a dog with joint damage caused by over exercise as a pup, and the subsequent arthritis, and as such I can see what discomfort he is in every day as a result.

What breed? And how much exercise?

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 10:01:53 AM »
I wish Toq could speak. Even if he can't make risk/benefit judgments, at least I could get some indication of the strength of his feelings.

I know that I would rather run the risk of joint damage than I would have my exercise constrained (indeed, I'm making that choice everyday - I have a damaged knee that I run the risk of exacerbating). However, I can't make that judgment call for Toq - I feel I have to do what's best for his welfare or be wracked with guilt if something goes wrong. But I do wonder what he'd want me to do given he's as exuberantly outdoorsy as I am.

I have followed this thread with interest. As a very keen outdoor person myself I can understand your frustration at having to limit Toq's exercise at the moment, but you have been given some excellent advice. Tbh, if I were you, I wouldn't even consider what Toq might feel about it, or what he'd want you to do - he is a baby, and you're his mum....and mum's know best. It's your job to know better than he does, what's good for him  ;) Give him a year or so, and you can join me and Chloe on a munro or two  :D

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline sophiew

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 11:54:10 AM »
I have a dog with joint damage caused by over exercise as a pup, and the subsequent arthritis, and as such I can see what discomfort he is in every day as a result.

What breed? And how much exercise?

He's a lab, which I know as a larger / faster growing breed are more prone to issues like this, but it's still made me very aware of how much we need to protect them when their bones are soft and still growing. He had panosteitis as a pup and now has arthritis in both elbows which limits him every day of his life. It is believed to be over walking i.e too long walks as a growing pup (as he was a 'working' type, we wrongly thought he needed to be out for hours) and the repetitive strain type injury of repeated games with tennis balls and frisbees. Yes, we should have known better - and I do now, and that's why we're sticking to the 5 mins per month of age with Tally

Sophie
x