Author Topic: Hello Everyone from Warwickshire (threads merged)  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Toby Cymru

Hello Everyone from Warwickshire (threads merged)
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »
Hi Everybody from sunny Warwickshire. Toby is two and a half years old and is working strain. Can't believe it's taken us this time to discover COL. Not well practised at forums either but will try hard.
Anyway what a goldmine of info and advice from such caring people. Toby has been a great companion and he has loved his walks. But he is struggling a little at the moment with stiffness and limping in his front legs. No trauma, no obvious sign of injury but has been happening for nearly a month now. Have been to the vet once with no obvious diagnosis but rest, very limited exercise and observation advised. Going back tomorrow for another consultation. Having searched COL recovery from strains and sprains seem to be measured in days? Is a month typical? Will keep you posted.
Thanks All

Chris and Tracy

Offline maddy74

Re: Hello Everyone from Warwickshire (threads merged)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:34:15 PM »
Hello there and welcome. This forum is addictive you know.... :005: We are from coventry, just up the road really and have a 20 week old working strain cocker, and we are smitten with her. No advice re your dogs legs but I am sure someone will be along soon with some advice for sure.

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:11:37 PM »
Hi Chris and Tracy,

Welcome to our forum, lots of friends and people to help with your boy's problem. Lots of COLers have working cockers and I'm sure one will be along soon to give you some help.

Eve xx

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »
Hi & Welcome

I've got no experience with sprains but I'm sure someone will be able to help. But we're only just over the border in Northants  :D

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 08:51:19 PM »
Welcome to COL. :D  I'm owned by a 5yr old orange & white nutty cocker called Charlie. ;)

Lots of great advice and chats can be found on the forum.

Have no experience of leg sprain, I am sure someone will come along soon with some good advice.
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »
Hi and welcome from Worcestershire...

I hope you manage to find a solution for Toby.  I work for a Canine Massage therapist. If you need more info, please pm me

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Toby Cymru

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 06:16:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for a warm welcome to COL. The morning after I went on the forum when we got up and raised Toby from his slumbers his stiffness and limp seemed to be much reduced. Was this coincidental or positive vibes from COL? Anyway we decided to cancel the vet appointment and just keep a watching brief. I have to say our regime for the last week has been homeopathic Arnica, Cod Liver Oil tablets, very short walks on the flat on the lead, no stairs and no jumping up on the settee (unless lifted up on to his blanket for a snooze!). Perhaps the regime is working. We can still see a limp but hopefully we're over the worse.
Thanks all
Tracy and Chris :blink:

Offline Toby Cymru

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »
Have been to the vet tonight since the limp and stiffness has not cleared after a month since first noticed. He has detected soreness in the right shoulder so it's X Rays next week. Has also prescribed half a tablet of Previcox for 10 days (pain relief). Remarked it was not usual in a dog of 2 and a half years to have a sprain or strain that persists for a month but we need to keep an open mind on the cause of the problem and specific diagnosis. :dunno: Will put further updates and info under health section. Any thoughts or comments always welcome.
Thanks everyone

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 09:40:20 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL.

it could well be IOHC  (incomplete ossification of the humeral condyle) - Nicola's Tilly has it.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=54373.0

I'm going to move this one to Health as you'll get more responses to the shoulder issues there  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Toby Cymru

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 08:31:08 AM »
Thanks Helen - very grateful to you.
Chris :blink:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 08:44:31 AM »
Hello and welcome, hope everything goes well.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Hello and question re limping on front legs
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »
no problem Chris - hope it hasn't scared you!  It's a more common condition in Springers I think and it may well not be the cause of Toby's lameness.

Any chance of more photo's of Toby?  I'm partial to the brown dogs as you can probably tell  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 10:47:04 AM »
I just saw this, as Helen said IOHC is more common in Springers than Cockers but it does crop up. From what you've said of Toby's symptoms though I'm not sure. Tilly is a rescue, I got her when she was 2 and she always had intermittent periods of lameness on her front leg, it would usually flare up after a period of intense exercise - usually if she had a really long session of chasing a ball with a lot of jumping and twisting or sometimes after she was out working and she'd jumped fences/ditches etc. and it would last about 12-24 hours and then she'd be back to normal again. It was only very occasionally that the lameness would last longer than that, such as in the case below when I think she probably wrenched or tore a muscle as well which exacerbated it. Anyway, it basically means that her shoulder joint isn't fused properly and there's an inherent weakness there, she's lucky that she's never broken the leg as that is quite common in dogs with the condition. It's been a couple of years since I took her for the scans etc. and she's still got it obviously, but we just manage it. She still goes lame occasionally but I try to limit her ball chasing now and she doesn't work any more due to this and to her various other health problems (she's a bit of a crock bless her ph34r) so that helps. I always have a supply of metacam, I did give it to her daily previously but now she just gets it if she starts going a bit stiff or I see her starting to favour the leg. She's had a couple of longer lame periods in the last couple of years, usually lasting 4 or 5 days but generally it's still around 1 day and then she's ok again.

I hope you get Toby's lameness cleared up soon, it does sound like he could have badly damaged a muscle or something like that and it's just taking a bit longer than usual to heal.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 11:42:01 AM »
Hi and welcome. We too are from Warwickshire and have 2 show cockers along with a bichon frise. I hope your Toby gets better soon then maybe you can join us all on one of our meets :)

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 04:48:51 PM »
Hi and welcome, we are just a mile from the Warwickshire border in Banbury Oxfordshire and we
have 2 cocker's, one is a X puppy farm little girl,
 hope your Toby soon feels much better. :luv: