Author Topic: trouble getting in the car  (Read 830 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
trouble getting in the car
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:39:15 PM »
Pepper has real problems getting in the back of my car. He has tried to jump but just can't quite make it and I am worried he is going to hurt his back legs. He hates me lifting him in but at the moment it is the only option....not pleasant after a muddy walk!! >:D Dog steps and ramps seem to cost a lot, does any one have any ideas?

Offline seaangler

Re: trouble getting in the car
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:58:09 PM »
Not sure if you could do the same with your dog as with ours...

Are cindy as you mite know is a golden retriver and has H/D in her back right hip...

What i do do as cindy will put her front paws on the back lip of the car estate end....  and i have a sling that i put around her back end to lift her up..If its dry i just lift the back end of her...

Or...If you have a handy husband that can do D.I.Y :D A lenth of some tweny gage marine ply wood about a foot wide by some five foot long with treds across....  paint the ply wood put add sand in it to stop your dog from slipping on the main tred going up...Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
My Dexter is now 30kgs but too young (6mths) to jump in and out of the car.  As Chris has already mentioned Golden retrievers are prone to hip problems so want to give him the best start. I put his front paws on the lip and hoist his back end up. The removing from the car is the most difficult as he will not move and I have to gently drag him over the small lip of the bood and he literally 'falls' out.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »
Pepper has real problems getting in the back of my car. He has tried to jump but just can't quite make it and I am worried he is going to hurt his back legs. He hates me lifting him in but at the moment it is the only option....not pleasant after a muddy walk!! >:D Dog steps and ramps seem to cost a lot, does any one have any ideas?

Have sent you a pm re ramp
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 08:45:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I do find it easier when Pepper puts his paws up but he is no always quite so co-operative! I will  keep looking around.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I do find it easier when Pepper puts his paws up but he is no always quite so co-operative! I will  keep looking around.

Have you tried looking round car-boot sales where you are - you never know  ;)  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline karen488

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 09:34:20 PM »

Have you tried looking round car-boot sales where you are - you never know  ;)  :D
car boot sales??? Thought car boots were the problem  :005: :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 09:37:43 PM »

car boot sales??? Thought car boots were the problem  :005: :005:

:buttkick:  :015:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 11:06:57 PM »
What about a sling to lift him (as you would a dog with mobility problems)  - quick to put on and off and not too pricey

LIKE THIS ONE

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 11:14:49 AM »
Thanks for the link to the sling...will have a think about it.