Author Topic: Brodies first night  (Read 2472 times)

Offline abkb

• Donator
Re: Brodies first night
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:44 AM »
Yeah when Molly got up in the night at the beginning we pretty much blanked her  :005: no eye contact just opened the back door saying 'do wee wee' over and over again, and then straight back in her crate.  I did feel like a mean mummy but she didn't wake us again after the first week!
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Dan

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 11:25:14 AM »
Ye think that's what I'm goin to do is it only the first week she will be like this? Also how long does it take for pups to realise there name?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
Ye think that's what I'm goin to do is it only the first week she will be like this? Also how long does it take for pups to realise there name?

It depends on the pup!  ;)   It may take a week, 2 weeks or 2 months - they are all different.  It will take as long as it takes but if you are consistent with her she will stand the best chance of getting into good habits at night  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Dan

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »

It depends on the pup!  ;)   It may take a week, 2 weeks or 2 months - they are all different.  It will take as long as it takes but if you are consistent with her she will stand the best chance of getting into good habits at night  :D

Thanks joules for the reply ;)

Offline maddy74

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 10:31:42 PM »
Willow woke for the first week in the middle of the night. I let her out on her lead and said our queue words for doing her business I only spoke to her to say that and praise her, she was then put straight back in her crate.

Willow was responding to her name within a few days. As she made her way towards me I would say her name, she soon caught on and came to her name when called :D

Offline Dan

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 10:38:48 PM »
Willow woke for the first week in the middle of the night. I let her out on her lead and said our queue words for doing her business I only spoke to her to say that and praise her, she was then put straight back in her crate.

Willow was responding to her name within a few days. As she made her way towards me I would say her name, she soon caught on and came to her name when called :D

I'm going to try that tonight just going to let et out do her buisness praise her and straight back to bed :)

Also I think Brodie realises her name as she looks at us but doesn't understand what I'm saying when I tell her to come here etc lol

Offline maddy74

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »
I used the clicker to train Willow when she was young so when getting her to recognise her name when I called spoke to her and put her name in and she looked at me I would click and reward her. After a few weeks when she knew her name I did the same with training her to the whistle, when she was already coming to me, gave 3 peeps of the whistle, she picked this up quick too.

I felt a bit mean not talking to Willow when we let her out at night but it worked as she only got up in the middle of the night for the first week, we were lucky in that department  :D

Offline Dan

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »
That's the next thing I want to do is train her with a whistle but want to get her used to her name first then work on other things :) I only reward Brodie with praise and not treats as I want her to do it all the time and not just donut for a reward etc! Just hoping she learns to sleep in lol

Offline maddy74

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »
Just trying to rack my brains as to when we started Willow on the whistle, Just asked OH and we seem to think it was about a month after we had her. Obviously by this time she was responding and coming to her name.

We have always started a new trick or command with treats and a clicker and then as she gets the hang of it a bit give less treats, she will then follow commands without now. She loves the ball and a game of tug so often after a short training session I reward her with that. I know I am going off topic now.

Maddy

Offline Dan

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 03:06:24 AM »
Will have a look into a clicker were you get them?

I feel as if Brodie is coming along without treats if I'm honest if inhave to I'll stray using treats as I want her trained! But I'm trying not to!

She just woke up had no accidents did a wee and a poo out side and I put her straight back to bed after praising her she whinged abit but she is ok now so will keep doing that every night :)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 07:35:42 AM »
She just woke up had no accidents did a wee and a poo out side and I put her straight back to bed after praising her she whinged abit but she is ok now so will keep doing that every night :)

Brilliant - what a good girl  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 09:30:18 AM »

She will be like this as long as it takes her to hold her bladder.  When Molly was on 4 feeds a day (I presume this is what you're doing) her last feed was at 10pm, so we stayed up with her until 11pm and eventually she went through the night until 7am ish initially.  We also took away her water, or didn't let her drink too much, to prevent middle of the night wees.

She will eventually sleep through the night, it just takes time!  Molly is now 8 months and sleeps from 10pm-7.30am (although this morning it was 845am woohoo!), and she has been sleeping like that for a good few months.  The waking up at 2am only lasted around a week, but obviously it may be different for Brodie.

With regards to learning her name, I can't quite remember how long it took.  However, it may be different for us as the breeder started using Molly's name with her from 15 days old, all the way to when we picked her up at 9 weeks.  She'll learn it soo enough! 
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Dan

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 09:37:29 AM »
So taking away her water is a good thing? I leave her water in with her! And when we went to see Brodie about 2 weeks ago we told the owner the name we wanted for her do she started calling her that name up untill we picked et up she is doing well I reckon but if you recomend taking he water away I'll do this!

Offline maddy74

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 05:40:43 PM »
I leave water in Willows crate and always have done, only about 2cm's in the bottom of the bowl though. That is just my view based on how I would feel if I woke up thirsty and couldnt have a drink!! Willow is not a big drinker anyway. IMO I would continue leaving the water in the crate and see how you get on.

I got my clicker from pets at home it was only a few pounds.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »
Just found an old thread I started before we had Willow enquiring about water intake at night. See link below.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=80593.0

Maddy