Author Topic: From fluffy puppy coat to adult silky coat.  (Read 6084 times)

Offline Mjjackson43

From fluffy puppy coat to adult silky coat.
« on: November 15, 2015, 11:47:07 AM »
Hello all :)

I was wondering if anyone could give me some info around the transition from fluffy puppy coat to silky adult coat? Sally is 5 months old and has a very cute fluffy puppy coat which grows out in all different directions no matter what direction I brush it in. I was wondering at what age the puppy coat ends and what age the silky adult coat begins? What's the best way to remove the puppy coat when it is ready? Handstripping? Clip? Coat king? Also when do you know when the puppy coat is ready to come out?

Many thanks

Tom and Sally

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Re: From fluffy puppy coat to adult silky coat.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 11:51:40 AM »
No help I'm afraid, I want to know this myself so will be watching closely....
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 12:06:35 PM »
We are having the same problem with Dexter at 6 months old, I am currently searching for a good groomer who can advise me on this because the first one I spoke with just wanted to clip it all off and I didn't think this was right. I think hand stripping would be best but I am not sure when this can be done.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 12:10:14 PM »
Most people recommend the comb & elastic band,  I'm sure someone will soon be answering with this soon, if you want to search you will find it on here.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 02:12:30 PM »
Sally is beautiful :luv:

I have 2 show type Cockers and my blue roan and tan boy was similar to Sally at the same age. I was going to show him so clipping was never an option. Once you start clipping it's pretty difficult to go back, which is fine if you want to keep your Cocker's coat short for ever, but it tends to make coats go curly, especially if the Cocker is spayed/castrated and then you can find yourself having to clip frequently.

A comb with an elastic band threaded through the teeth is a good way to start on a puppy coat that's ready to come out. If you try it and next to nothing comes out the puppy coat isn't ready. Puppy coats sometimes don't start to come out until 9 months or so.

At the moment if you could find a groomer who's willing to just bath Sally, tidy her paws and maybe slightly thin out any areas that become easily matted I'd leave it at that. But it depends what you want to do with her coat long term.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »
This is my blue roan and tan boy at 7 months old after his first show. His coat was barely starting to come out, but enough to have his topknot handstripped (there wasn't much of it to start with), the rest of him given a good groom with the comb and elastic band and his paws tidied.

This is him just a few days short of his 1st birthday and you can see the difference because his adult coat has come through. He's handstripped but has been clipped under his chin and down his throat to give a clean and sleek appearance there.

Offline Mjjackson43

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 02:30:50 PM »
He is gorgeous! Love his colourings! I need to invest in a good doggy hair dryer I think so that when I bathe and dry her I can direct the airflow down to ensure her coat is flat to her body. I have a spratts comb so will try that with a rubber band :) what about coat king and stripping knife?

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
Yes Elaine he is a a stunning boy. I have never heard of the elastic band and comb, I will be giving this a go as he needs to have something done at the moment.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 04:26:54 PM »
He's beautiful, Elaine  :luv:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »
This post was recent posted, it might have some useful information in :)

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=115511.msg1667763#msg1667763
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 05:22:39 PM »
I'm also suffering the same problem! Monty's coat has just exploded! He's a woolly mammoth at the moment...

Off to the groomers tomorrow to see if he is ready to be hand stripped, I hope so! He's got matts coming up everywhere out of the blue! Just discovered one under his ear on his neck that I'm hoping she can tackle, bit too close to the skin for my comfort bless him.

Think I'm going to invest in a coat King or similar X

Love from Polly and Monty!

Offline Mjjackson43

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 09:17:19 PM »
He is adorable. How old is he?

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 10:18:27 PM »
Aw thank you! I think so too, although I'm definitely biased! He's 8 months 1 week! :)

Love from Polly and Monty!

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 10:50:28 PM »
Here's my mammoth at 6months....

Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Barry H

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 10:48:39 AM »
Jack is 11 months now and his adult coat started to come through at about 10 months.  It hasn't come through all at once, either.  Started at the shoulders/hips and is now working its way along his back and down his ribs/flanks.  Top half looking good with a few stray wisps, bottom half, woolly mammoth still.  So he's half and half at the mo', but his head still has a mop which isn't showing any sign of coming out as yet.  I expect this will be the last to go - simply because I want to get rid of it!

I want the classic show Cocker look, so won't be clipping or using a Coat King.  Handstripping is the way to go.  It's a daily job I'm finding.  Partly because some comes easily, some doesn't want to budge, and Jack can't stand still for longer than five minutes.  Patience is key I think.  When the coat is ready it comes out without too much pulling.  It must be itchy for him, too.  He tends to have a go at certain areas with hair tumbleweed all over the place...

Interestingly, as a whelp he was mostly roan with black spots and ears and a white spot on his head, then almost completely woolly black, still with the white spot.  The adult coat is different again - beautifully silky roan and black.  So, I'm torn between itching to see what he'll look like when he finally gets all his coat and sad that he'll no longer be a pup...

8 weeks

6 months