Author Topic: Will a clipped coat grow back the same!  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
Will a clipped coat grow back the same!
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »
Hello, I took Lilly who is 7 and a bit months to the groomers today for her first cut.
It was a good job but I just don't like the shorter look. I am going to cut her myself
in future so that it looks the way I want it to. Will her coat grow back the way it was before
and can anyone tell me how long it will take roughly.

thanks

Angela and Lills xxx

Offline superscot

• Donator
Re: Will a clipped coat grow back the same!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 02:29:53 PM »
Do you have a before and after photo so I could compare for a few months down the line

cheers

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 03:06:40 PM »
Here are a couple of before and a couple of after.

As you can see, its ok, just preferred her before and would like a slightly shorter version of that.

Angela & Lills xxx

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:25:45 PM »
I think she looks lovely  :luv:  It's always a shock when they go for that first cut, and all their puppy fur goes.  In a couple of days, you will probably love it.

Generally, a clipped coat, will grow back thicker and curlier than a handstripped coat.
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:31:24 PM »
Thank you, its not that its not nice, I just like the legs n things left longer.

Will the coat still grow back thicker and curlier if its only been done once?

Angela & Lills xxx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:46:27 PM »
You might be lucky in that it is her puppy coat that has been clipped and she would have, in time lost a lot of that fluff anyway.

I can see that her coat is short at the moment but as it starts to grow, if you comb her back with a metal toothed comb with an elastic band woven through, this will take out a lot of dead coat.

Back in 2006 when we had a hot summer I clipped a puppy (albeit not as short as Lilly) as she wasn't coping with the heat very well, and as the adult coat came through her owner used the banded comb and I now use a coat king when I trim her.

Offline louisedi

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 04:14:35 PM »
Her coat should grow back ok, unless you have her spayed then it will grow back in thick & curly, id find a groomer who hands strippes next time.

good luck Louise & Harbethol gang

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 06:35:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I have been reading various grooming threads all afternoon
and am steering towards the coat king so the elastic band idea sounds great.

I am going to have her spayed later as I want to cut down the risk of cancer
(lost my first dog to prostate cancer) So may have to rethink when we see how her coat goes.

Whatever happens it looks like she will look better within a week or two and back to normal
within the next 6 -8 weeks.

Thanks again

Angela & Lills xxx

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
Just to say that we had Poppy spayed and it had no affect on her coat at all really she is not (at the moment - a year after spaying) any different so I'm hoping it just stays that way.  Her sister is curly and was curly before and after spaying - I think it just depends on the dog.  Also we dont have Poppy handstripped just coat king and scissor cut and I cant say its gone any thicker.  (maybe just luck of the draw!)

Your little girl looks very like Poppy in the before pics when she has got a longer coat (furry moon boots and all  :005: :luv:) so hopefully you will be lucky too.

Amanda & Poppy x

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 04:10:26 PM »
Thanks, that does give me hope, Poppy is exactly how I would like Lilly to look (only blue obviously :005:)

I am going to follow Michelle's advice re the comb n rubber band until she is long again, then coatking n scissors.

However she turns out she will be my sweetheart, but I do like the longer look for her.

Angela xxx