Author Topic: Will I Know The Difference  (Read 1496 times)

Offline lorri

• Site Member
Will I Know The Difference
« on: December 21, 2004, 10:57:55 PM »
Hi

Had Jarvis groomed for the first time a couple of weeks ago and what a difference. I went through the stages of..i love it..ihate it..back to loving it. I had got so used to seeing him looking little a fluffy bear that the change was very dramatic.

i had asked Jarvis to be hand stripped and really liked to the two girls that i took him to but would i be able to tell whether he was stripped or clipped as i dont think i would and have a niggling feeling they may have used the clippers on him??

Can you tell the difference ? How should i train my eye to look for any signs as i do want to keep getting him stripped and not clipped.

Haha Does that make any sense

Thanks

lorraine

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 09:18:25 AM »
You would know ;)  When my black boy went for a tidy-up, he came back clipped :angry:  Although he still had all his featherings, the coat just didn't look as natural as it would if it had been stripped. Thats the only way I can think of to describe it. He was clipped quite close so I'm not sure if the effects would be as noticeable if the clippers were used lightly but I would imagine you would still be able to notice the difference.

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 10:24:18 AM »
Its hard to describe but I'll give it a go!

When they have been clippered I used to notice on Libby and Sweep that if you look close enough you can see a fine line at various places over the coat where the electric clippers have been placed to start the clip and again where they have been lifted. I presume this is avoidable by very careful use of the shears. But thats the way I tell anyway. With a hand stripped dog there is much more conformity and none of this sort of 'mechanical' look where the shears have been.
Wish I could show you a photo!

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 10:50:32 AM »
Stripping should leave the hair shafts intact - so they will each appear pointed and roughtly an inch long! This is because the excess hair is pulled out leaving the remaining shafts complete.

Clippering cuts the hair to a uniform length - say 1/2 inch and blunts the end of the hair shaft where it has been cut.  Clippering also makes them feel spikey as the shorter hairs tend to stick in to your hand.

Hope that helps!

Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 10:44:26 PM »
We have had Jessie clipped from being 7 months old until last saturday! When she went to the groomers for her xmas hair cut  :D

I have recently invested in a coat king, thinners and spratts comb to go along side my slicker brush and other combs so I asked the groomer not to shave her back.

I am well pleased with the result. When I get a min I will post 2 pics...one after her trim when she was clippered and looked like a goat! :ph34r:  and one how she looks now.
Her coat looks sooooo much more silkier and softer now then after a clip  :D

Going to try and stay on top of her myself and use the groomer as a tidy up if I need to...not sure I am brave enough to do her completely on my own....the bath/shower alone is exhausting!!

Cheers

Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 12:47:03 AM »
Stripping should leave the hair shafts intact - so they will each appear pointed and roughtly an inch long! This is because the excess hair is pulled out leaving the remaining shafts complete.

Clippering cuts the hair to a uniform length - say 1/2 inch and blunts the end of the hair shaft where it has been cut.  Clippering also makes them feel spikey as the shorter hairs tend to stick in to your hand.

Hope that helps!
Following on from Clare's comments, I think the easiest way to tell is if you run your hand against the lay of the coat ie. from tail to head. If it feels soft to the touch then it has been stripped but if it is coarse and prickly then it has been clippered.

(would have added a smilie but I can't get them to work)

Offline lorri

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 11:03:49 PM »
Thanks everyone. Jarvis is having an ovrnight at my mums tonight as i have just finished work but when i see him tomorrow will be looking very closely. You have all been a great help.

thanks again

Lorraine  

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 05:33:58 PM »
Hi There

I did reply to this before the gremlins stole it away!  :angry:

Heres a couple of pics that show Jessie after she was clipped in Sept 04 and another a week after she was stripped in Dec 04. Decided to have her stripped as I now have a coat king lol.

This is after she was clipped

This is after she was stripped

I much prefer the stripped look  :D ....I have now got all the grooming equipment (well apart from the table) and am gona try to keep on top of her myself now. The coat king is great and don't know how I've managed without one  ;)

I am having leg trouble with her tho as I am not sure how to use the thinning scissors to make the front of her legs look nice  :(  more practice I think!

Cheers

Jane