Author Topic: Night time Woe's  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Nantmoel

Night time Woe's
« on: April 06, 2021, 12:13:38 PM »
Our 8 month old cocker Tal, has started to cry and scratch the door to the utility room where he has slept since we have had him at 8 weeks, its got to the stage that for the past two nights of trying him in the kitchen to sleep (where he also cries and scratches the door), he has slept in the lounge. He's no problem at all whilst he's in the lounge but has taken to totally not liking the utility room. Anyone here had similar problems any advice would be helpful.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Night time Woe's
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 02:02:37 PM »
I wonder if he‘s just feeling a bit lonely and the lounge is more cosy and probably carries your scent and makes him feel more secure? Could you maybe leave him something of yours, an old T shirt or similar? Does he start making a fuss at the same time every night which could point to something disturbing him?
My dog (6) has always slept in the hall but if the lounge door was accidently left open then that‘s where I‘d often find him in the morning and having now been allowed to do that, he‘s recently started creeping up the stairs once the lights are out and sleeping quietly in the corner of the bedroom.
Cockers are very much velcro dogs and will always prefer to be with their humans rather than be alone but understandably not everyone wants their dogs on the furniture, in the bed etc so  if he really is unhappy in the kitchen/ utility, maybe you could use a baby gate to close off no go areas while allowing him a bit more freedom, ? Perhaps a gate rather than a shut door would prevent him feeling quite so cut off from you?
I‘ve made the mistake of being inconsistent and have allowed a good five year habit of sleeping downstairs to be broken in just a couple of nights and I could kick myself. If you really don’t want your dog to sleep in the lounge, then my advice is don‘t allow it even for one night, its very hard to go back.
Hope you find a solution!

Offline Nantmoel

Re: Night time Woe's
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 09:02:33 AM »
Thank you for the reply, we tried the gate and his blanket off the settee, that didn't work. He was a little more settled but was still crying and pawing the gate! At 2:30 we gave in and he slept in the lounge. Strange that all this has started at 8 months.